Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #21

My recommendation would be to get the real Durametric cable (enthusiast). With the cheap Chinese clone cables you will be tied to using an early bootleg version of the Durametric software (it won't work with newer versions). Plus, you'll be waiting a week or two just to get it (shipped from China).

2nd best thing to do would be to buy a used cable with at least 1 vin remaining from someone on the forums. If you do that make sure it's the newer version cable (compatible with the v6 software). Check the Durametric website for info on determining the cable version.

Last (and cheapest) thing would be to buy a cheap Chinese clone cable. The sellers will send you a download link to a really old (bootleg, some might say pirated) version of the software. It may work, and if it does it should be able to clear your airbag code.

I bought a Durametric cable and feel it is worth every penny. Allowed me to clear an airbag code (caused by a dead battery) and to diagnose worn out variocam tensioners (via high camshaft deviations).

Ok, I see you went the clone cable route... Good luck and let us know how that works out.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #22

Garage
Update

Ok, I know everyone on this thread has been waiting on this response so here is goes: So I purchased a "PIWIS USB Car Diagnostic Scanner Cable for Porsche Vehicles" off of eBay for $39.99 from obdinnovations. My 98 Boxster was in the list of compatible vehicles. They did a great job and had it shipped very quickly. I installed the software and could not get it to work with my car. The LED on the cable would never change from red to green, per the seller. I actually tried installing on three different laptops in case something else was wrong - this was again after contacting the seller and confirming what I was doing and how it was supposed to work. The seller provided me a return shipping label and said they would check it out when it was returned and if it was defective they would send me another one and if it wasn't they would issue me my money back. OK.... So without notice they issued me all of my money back. I'm extremely disappointed this cheap solution didn't work. But it didn't catch my car on fire nor did it erase my computer, just wasted some of my time as I did receive a full refund. So maybe some of them work, but this one did not work for me.
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Hopefully that won't turn out to be the most expensive money you've ever saved. Remember, the ECU runs on smoke - if you let the smoke out it won't work anymore.

The Durametric only costs about $100 in the long run because you can sell it when you're done with two VIN's left on it for about $200. It doesn't make sense to me to buy a risky clone running outdated software for the sake of saving about $50. Especially given the time and money you have already spent repairing your car.

I had one of those clone cables and it was a piece of crap. I bought it thinking it was a real one, and I have since replaced it with a real one.
Not to worry if you let the smoke out of the ECU. Lucas makes a smoke replacement kit, and while its designed for British cars, I've read it works on German cars also.

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano