Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Cayman clutch swap for Boxsters

Wayne mentions the benefits of a Cayman clutch swap for the Boxster. I just wanted to confirm part number before ordering and ask for any experiences. Is the difference noticeable? Strangely the Cayman part is $80 cheaper!That will help with the DMF cost.
The 6 speed Cayman part is 987 116 913 32 -$441
The 6 speed Boxster S is 986 116 911 02 -$529

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Boxster abuser

Call up pelican the staff is fairly knowledgeable and they are local too.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Yup, good plan.
The P.O. spent $thousands at Pelican so they 'know' the car. Unfortunately he replaced perfectly good parts like the "Made in England" original(?) IMS bearing with the Pelican/LN kit but missed the worn DMF .
I suggested that Pelican offer a Clutch "Super-Kit" for an '06 Cayman so customers like me can upgrade the entire clutch assembly.They have a part # 101P-986-P044C -that is the Super-Kit for the '01 Boxster S but nothing for the Cayman.It would be over $1300 but that bitter pill would be easier to swallow if it was also a small upgrade.
The cheap way out -since my pressure plate and friction disk are excellent ,would be to just buy a new dual mass flywheel - or even better a rebuilt one. It seems a pity to junk such a massive part for want of a few compression springs and some lube.But I can't find rebuilt dual mass flywheels for the Boxster from a reputable source.
The good news is all the exhaust manifold bolts came out without snapping. I saturated them for days in multiple applications of Kroil. For all the spline drive bolts that Porsche used, why not s/s spline drive(triple square/XZN) for the exhaust manifolds?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

I eventually found,buried on Pelican's website that this upgrade in Wayne's book is a dud.
The Cayman uses a 23 spline hub,the Boxster S is 21. I nearly made an expensive mistake there.
Reviewed by 1 Customers
Sort by:
write a review for this item
Does not fit 986 Boxster S
By Bfan, submitted October 22, 2013
Comments: I had read some where that I could use this disk on my 986 Boxster S 2001, and it would give me somewhat more bite.
It does not fit, the splines are slightly different. It is surely an excellent product for its use.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
I eventually found,buried on Pelican's website that this upgrade in Wayne's book is a dud.
The Cayman uses a 23 spline hub,the Boxster S is 21. I nearly made an expensive mistake there.
Reviewed by 1 Customers
Sort by:
Comments: I had read some where that I could use this disk on my 986 Boxster S 2001, and it would give me somewhat more bite.
It does not fit, the splines are slightly different. It is surely an excellent product for its use.
do yourself a favor, and install the "regular" sachs clutch kit (for $322 on ebay including disc, pressure plate and release bearing).
the "upgraded" Cayman part will not give you any benefits unless you have plans of supercharging your engine or replacing it with a 3.6L.
when i did the clutch on my S, i also replaced the flywheel for under $400 on ebay.
both the Luk flywheel and sachs parts were identical to the parts i removed from the car.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Reviewed by 1 Customers
Sort by:
Update: Not so fast.Perhaps the MIT grad was correct?
I bought and tested a 23(yes23,not 21) spline clutch alignment tool for a 1" /19/32" bushing.It is intended for a Ford Explorer. It fits my 2001 Boxster clutch plate and DMF perfectly!
Porsche are notorious for mix&match so before you decide on this project get a cheapie tool and test.
Surprisingly the Pelican rep was terse & unhelpful on this issue It would have been easy for him to have performed the same simple test I just made -and sold an $1800 Pelican "clutch super kit" !