Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
blkboxster

hahha ricer

this is pretty funny

http://alkali.colug.org/~kaha/ricer.jpg

Old 02-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #2

go to laughatrice.com they have hundreds of cars like that.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM   #3

Not surprising...in fact, hang around a couple Army bases and you will see that all the time.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 AM   #4

Is that aluminum foil on the rims??
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #5

I wonder if they really drive that around or if they just put it on there to take a picture.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #6

To each their own I guess but I can't stand those heavily modified cars with the huge spoilers and pounding sound systems. I just don't get it...

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #7

In today's paper they had article on street racing and the cops pulling over and ticketing for illegal lowereing and equipment. One of the owners "junior in high school" has spent over $30,000 in mods. Geeeeee wonder where the money came from???
mike
Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #8

I don't know if the tuner scene is as big here as the West Coast but there are a few genuine tuner cars around and they are fast. There are also a bunch of poseurs around. They outnumber the real deals. But I think the real deals are already impacting the car scene. In a positive way.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #9

That was obviously for a parade or pep rally or something..It would not last over any kind of speed and seemed to be visibly poking fun at real bad rice cars.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #10

I personally don't get it either???

Where I live, the ricers are everywhere. An example, I stopped at a red light last week and a honda civic stopped next to me (Big fin, big muffler) I knew it had a 4 banger in it, my daughter drives the exact model.

He is revving the engine prior to green light, and I am resisting giving him the bird!

Light turns green, I stomp the tip and it goes into first (when a tip Boxster goes into first at 4k rpm with dual tips) everyone around you knows it

So did the civic, actually I didn't mean for it to switch shift patterns, but the poor civic thought I was going to race him to the next light!!

He revs to prob 9k rpm and shoots off and then misses 2nd, I then lunge forward in front of him and felt embarrassed I backed off so the poor soul could keep some face about this.

Then he follows me onto a freeway on ramp, where I hand him his reality

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #11

Maybe I'm missing the point but I totally get it. These kids are just motorheads. 30 years ago they were the guys tinkering with muscle cars. Don't doubt that there are Civics out there that'll eat Boxsters alive at the stoplights. Now add youth and testosterone and there it is. They've put in a lot of time and money into this. I give them credit. It's amusing but I get it.

What I don't get is the guy who pulls up next to my bike at the light in his stock M-3 and actually thinks he has a chance. Once at a light, a guy in a Cadillac STS, pulled a hole shot. I wasn't even in gear. Just sleeping. A Cadillac?? Of course I pull up to the next red with a big grin on my face..... he was clueless. Elitist but clueless. Silly games.

Not all M-3 owners are "clueless elitists" and neither are all the "ricers". There may be more poseurs than real deals out there but they are out there keeping things vibrant and young. Their influence is already reflected in the product offerings from the OEM's. For me that's a good thing.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #12

I don't have a problem with car modding at all - in fact I think it can be great. If for some reason I don't decide on a boxster I'll be getting an IS300 and boosting it to at least 400rwhp. One thing you WON'T see me do is put on an ugly body kit, tacky rims, lower it, or put a fart can on the back. There's boosted/modded, and then there's just rice.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #13

That definitively was pretty funny. That had to be a joke as that sheet of plywood would rip right off from the windforce. I doubt he'd get over 35mph before sending that thing into the windshield of the car behind him.

Its strange though that in the last year I have not seen a single Boxster with an aftermarket wing. I wonder if vendors actually sell many. I have been contemplating the Aerokit II but have never seen it on a car. I've seen many pictures but I don't think you can really evaluate the look without seeing it in person. Are wings (aerokit, weltmeister, etc.) just too ricey for the Boxster? Just seems odd that I see so few while so many of these products are advertised.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
but have never seen it on a car.
Thank God for small favors is all i can say!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
Maybe I'm missing the point but I totally get it. These kids are just motorheads. 30 years ago they were the guys tinkering with muscle cars. Don't doubt that there are Civics out there that'll eat Boxsters alive at the stoplights. Now add youth and testosterone and there it is. They've put in a lot of time and money into this. I give them credit. It's amusing but I get it.
I guess I've witnessed too many of these guys flying in and out of traffic inches from my bumper w/music blasting. Fast and Furious is playing on repeat in these kids head. There ARE still guys who tinker on their cars like they did 30 years ago... but these arent those guys. Most ricers arent even motorheads at all, ask one about his cam. They just want to look fast, and drive as fast as their I4 will take them. To the .01% of honda enthusiasts that truly tune and repect their car and other drivers, I apologize.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephidaboost
I guess I've witnessed too many of these guys flying in and out of traffic inches from my bumper w/music blasting. Fast and Furious is playing on repeat in these kids head. There ARE still guys who tinker on their cars like they did 30 years ago... but these arent those guys. Most ricers arent even motorheads at all, ask one about his cam. They just want to look fast, and drive as fast as their I4 will take them. To the .01% of honda enthusiasts that truly tune and repect their car and other drivers, I apologize.
Could be an east versus west difference. I see way more Bimmers, Lexus, Infiniti's, Audi, Volvo, MB's car jammin. Last night going home from work a 3 series Beemer cut across 3 lanes to get his exit forcing us all to hit the brakes. But I'm in the Boston area which is the 4th highest per capita income area. Ask the average Bimmer guy what a cam is? A guy at work with an Audi A4 had to have his car towed because his accelerator was malfunctioning. Turns out the floormat was pushed up against the pedal. He thought he had a sudden acceleration problem. My point is there are poseurs in all classes. The real deals are out there.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Could be an east versus west difference. I see way more Bimmers, Lexus, Infiniti's, Audi, Volvo, MB's car jammin. Last night going home from work a 3 series Beemer cut across 3 lanes to get his exit forcing us all to hit the brakes. But I'm in the Boston area which is the 4th highest per capita income area. Ask the average Bimmer guy what a cam is? A guy at work with an Audi A4 had to have his car towed because his accelerator was malfunctioning. Turns out the floormat was pushed up against the pedal. He thought he had a sudden acceleration problem. My point is there are poseurs in all classes. The real deals are out there.
Amen, yes they are and they are different from what we did at their age, also. Guys now know more about engine mapping than crankshaft tolerances, for instance.

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #18

The hard thing at anytime is finding something new..

I heard a guy (40ish) remarking about the dumb kids today that think stickers make cars go faster.

I wanted to say "your right they still do, just like your crane cams, holley, hooker, and K&N stickers did"

And at least were I live, usually when I see a vehicle driving wreckless and fast it is an old pick up with four different sized bald tires going way to fast and making way too much smoke from an engine that will only run excessively rich and full of oil.

05 S - looking...
Old 02-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #19

Putting a wing on car must be the hardest thing for a car designer to do well. It is obviously done poorly in most aftermarket applications.

Today on the way back from Gatlinburg I saw a neon with an aluminum wing on backwards...so that it would lift the back of that car at speed. The front lip of the wing was higher than the back.

Ooops

05 S - looking...
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
But just getting your car towed because of stupidity (or lack of knowledge) doesn't nessesarily make you a poser. If he wears an audi racing jacket, a "look at me" mod and always has a new kill story, like most ricers do, then he would qualify. I live in a city where there are massive amounts of low income families, breeding the poser ricer image, and leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth of these types of drivers. I know it's different other places, you guys are lucky.