Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #1

Savannah, GA

A few years ago there was a discussion on this forum about 'must see' and 'must do' kinds of places with regard to Charleston, SC. IIRC, it focused mostly on restaurants, but I think there were some other items discussed as well. My wife and I went to Charleston last spring and, based on one of the responses in that thread, ended up at an amazing restaurant one evening, enjoying one of the best dining out experiences I can recall.

So...in that we're getting ready to head to Savannah, GA, I'll pose the same question:

For people who have been there or, even better, for people who live in the region, what are some places---restaurants or otherwise---that visitors really should make time for?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #2

Definitely go to River Street. Hit up Savannah Smiles, it's a piano bar. The Bohemia Hotel has a beautiful rooftop bar overlooking the Savannah River and the city.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
A few years ago there was a discussion on this forum about 'must see' and 'must do' kinds of places with regard to Charleston, SC. IIRC, it focused mostly on restaurants, but I think there were some other items discussed as well. My wife and I went to Charleston last spring and, based on one of the responses in that thread, ended up at an amazing restaurant one evening, enjoying one of the best dining out experiences I can recall.

So...in that we're getting ready to head to Savannah, GA, I'll pose the same question:

For people who have been there or, even better, for people who live in the region, what are some places---restaurants or otherwise---that visitors really should make time for?
Coastal South Carolina/GA is a dream, Savannah does have a race track btw, so try and schedule for a weekend there may be a track day or something. I personally would suggest a day trip to Hilton Head island, as there are PLEANTY of great restaurants on Hilton Head, my parents have been heading down that way 2 to 3 times a year lately, so I will ask them places to suggest.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

I used to live on Hilton Head and I must say, Destin is much, much better.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Oh I can agree with that, just much much further a drive for us haha. Hilton Head is close enough to day trip if we're crazy and definite weekender.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 AM   #6

Smile

Several good restaurants along River Street. A bit touristy but one of the best meals I had was a seafood tortellini at what appeared to be a Tavern. The Pinkhouse was very good if pricey. Get reservations.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:36 AM   #7

Savannah has the largest contiguous historic district in the nation, and is a bit less self-consciously stuffy than Charleston, its classy northern sister. For both, if you have an interest in architecture or history, you will not be disappointed b/c there are too many items to list (or see in one visit).
Similarly, Savannah has always had a disproportionate share of fine dining opportunities. These used to be fairly constant but now, like the restaurant industry everywhere, these change over time, and my info is out of date. I presume William's Seafood is still in business, and is highly recommended for a low-brow fish house. The Pink House downtown, as mentioned above , has always been very good. (In fact I took a prom date there a long long time ago.) I believe 1790 and Mrs Wilkes Boarding House closed, but now there is Paula Dean...
If you have kids, don't miss dining at the Pirate's House - you won't hate it and they will have a blast. But you really need up-to-date referrals from a local, b/c the food scene is not as driven by advertising as it is most places.

As for other sights, spend an afternoon at the kitchy but unspoiled Savannah beach, after a 2 hr visit to Fort Pulaski on the way. Time it right and you'll get a cannon demonstration, and the fort itself is impressive. Maybe check out Bonaventure cemetary, and certainly Factor's Walk / River Street back in town. Check out a production at SCAD for cheap quality entertainment. Stop by the Telfair Academy for an hour or two, or check out Jack Leigh's old photography gallery. Maybe go crabbing along the jetty at the beach, or charter a boat to go fishing in the rivers and sounds south of town. Drive down Johnny Mercer Blvd to the Yacht Club late on a weeknight and see the river that inspired the song Moon River.
Go on a quest to find someone who still speaks gullah, or an actual native of Defauski island, or someone who can weave a water-tight low country basket, or the birthplace of UGA's mascot, or the grave of someone who signed the Declaration of Independance, or 3 styles of colonial architecture that predate the existence of the USA, or the location and significance of Oglethorpe's garden, or a pre-Columbian shell mound on one of the islands, or the name and other achievements of the designer of Fort Pulaski, or how rifled cannon factored into its history, or find an actual shrimper who will sell you shrimp off the back of his boat, or why the downtown squares are laid out as they are, or find a fountain with swans and Neptune with his trident, or the real location of the Bird Girl statue from the cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, or see if Sylvan Island is still the wealthiest neighborhood in the nation, or find someone to take you gigging flounder by lantern light, or water ski past wild alligators, or whatever. There is plenty to do, but only a small fraction of it will be pre-packaged in a tourist brochure.

Or you could just ride around in a tour bus with some other tourists, eat some really good food, and get tipsy, maybe tear up a bit thinking about the Waving Girl before going to bed, and think about what you might do on the next trip. Depends on what you are up for. Just steer clear of the Chatham Artillery Punch, or you will still be tipsy the next morning. Have fun. Hopefully someone local will weigh in with more current restaurant recs.
ps It is probably too early, but if the sand gnats are out already, find Avon SSS or you will suffer.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #8

Roebling Road Raceway
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Luckyed

Garage
A second on the Pink House. We eat there almost every time we go to Savannah. They also have a corking fee of $0 for the first bottle.
Also recommend signing up for one of the haunted pub crawls. (on foot)
Luckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
That must be a low bar. I was pitched one of those time share weekends where you get see the property for a weekend at some heavily discounted price per night. I told the guy up front I thought times shares were horrible and had no interest but he said that's fine come anyway you'll get to see SC beaches.

A) I have never been anywhere so humid. Miami Beach has nothing on that place.
B) man is that a quiet town for a resort area, even the Wal-Mart looks like a dollar store.
C) Too many cops on the highway.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

D) Both times I have been to Hilton Head we got tore up with Jellyfish. Never again. Also you have to pay to get over to the other side of the island?

If you are North of HH I recommend Carolina Beach, very laid back, relaxed, if you have a 4x4 you can drive and camp on the north end of the beach. me and my boys did it several times, it was awesome.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #12

As someone that owns property on HH (North Forest Beach), I have to laugh at your comments.

1) Humidity and bugs. Trick with HH is when you go; be there in June, July, or August and the humidity is staggering while the bugs eat you alive. You also pay rental rates about twice off season rates, have to wait for tee times or dinner reservations. Choose a different time frame, we love late October and the Christmas/New Years holidays, and the place it a different world. In late Oct. the weather is still warm enough to swim in the ocean, no bugs, no humidity, you can easily get tee times on any golf course or a table in any restaurant. I have sat on the beach in front of our house at sunset on Christmas Eve in shorts and a tee shirt; the temperature was 84F. No crowds, no noise.
2) HH is a "controlled" growth community, which means even the McDonald's has to meet planning commission approval, which is why it is hidden back off the road behind trees. They like their quiet and the style of the island, and they work to protect it.
3) The cops are prolific and firm for good reason, people come to the island and think they can do anything they damn well please. Our house is on the ocean, with an in ground pool and Jacuzzi in yard facing the ocean. We have had total strangers walk off the beach and jump into the pool and/or the Jacuzzi while we were at home. They also could not understand why the police that took them away in handcuffs charged them with criminal trespass.
4) The toll on the cross island expressway. If you could have seen what it was like to drive from I-95 to Harbour Town before they built it, you would understand why the property owners nearly unanimously voted in favor of building it. It used to take forever to get anywhere, now it takes just a few min. and couple bucks.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 05-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #13

I third the Pink House. 45 Bistro and Boars Head as well. There was also this little unassuming seafood place west of down town in what looked like was previously a service station that had the best shrimp I've ever had. I can't find it on Yelp, and I can't remember the name, so it's probably gone.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
That must be a low bar. I was pitched one of those time share weekends where you get see the property for a weekend at some heavily discounted price per night. I told the guy up front I thought times shares were horrible and had no interest but he said that's fine come anyway you'll get to see SC beaches.

A) I have never been anywhere so humid. Miami Beach has nothing on that place.
B) man is that a quiet town for a resort area, even the Wal-Mart looks like a dollar store.
C) Too many cops on the highway.

been in this area for 20+ so i can weigh in a bit here.-
Pink house is good, but there are lots of choices-
- it is a humid place, in the summer, - this week upper 70's to mid 80's, humidity is under 50% so, actually very nice right now!- we spent mother's day on the Beach on HHI yesterday and it was an awesome day, nice breeze no bugs
-The coffeefox on Broughton Street in savanah is a regular stop when we go over, have to get the Mexican Mocha! - couple french cafe's on Broughton as well that my wife likes to go to -
- Take a trolly or horse and buggy tour of the historic district for sure, or for a day trip, come over to Beaufort SC, also historic small town and a bunch of great resturaunts.
- We like it like that btw(quiet for a resort town) if you want tourist trap go to Myrtle Beach, LOL!
-I spend most of my time in Beaufort and Bluffton, just off the HHI - the Black Marlin on HHI is excellent- The Black Marlin Bayside Grill Hilton Head Restaurant-Waterfront in Palmetto Bay Marina , Crazy Crab is just as you get on HHI,

Btw Broughton Street in Savannah runs parallel to river street, which you should go to as well, some local candy stores etc, and there are the river boat cruises - great idea for an evening- - i would stay at the Westin on the island across the River from downtown, you can take the boat across and walk all over downtown riverstreet and thru the historic district.

When are you going? and do you play golf. -- More adivce to come :dance:
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #15

Cool

If you go to Tybee Island there's a place on the Beach called Fannie's that has good food and 3 levels of deck that overlooks the beach..........
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #16

Cool

Also on Tybee Island by the lighthouse is Northbeach grill. Cool little outdoor grill thats very casual. Renting bicycles and riding around the island is a nice, relaxing thing to do..........

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote