Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

Surprise in my air filter

I opened up the engine for the first time on my new-to-me Boxster (98, 70k). This car is a bit of a mystery as I don't know much about it, or how it has been serviced. I'm trying to do all the "normal" stuff to get a baseline. That's why I wanted to change the air filter.

Surprise!

Someone has put an aftermarket filter (K&N?) in . The orange hose is a poorly installed gasket that is supposed to go around the intake pipe entering the box.

The air box is open on the top - maybe it seals a bit with the engine cover? I removed the hose clamps and found that you cannot remove the air filter from the box - the filter is too big to get out the top. I think the box would have to be loosened up.

I'm interested in what it would take to go back to the stock configuration. What do you guys think? I can't believe this setup is better than stock.

DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I guess that you didn't have a PPI done?

You'll have to remove the cold air intake and re-install the stock air box. Do a search as there are several threads that address what parts you'll need. If you use new parts, it can be somewhat expensive.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #3

Garage
That setup is great. Just fix the seals. You've got something very good....don't worry about going back to stock.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:59 AM   #4

There are enough engine experts out there with opinions that a K&N or similar knock off air filters allow too much dirt past the filter media into your MAF/engine. And if you tend to over oil the filters the extra oil can contaminate the MAF. Not really sure it can be considered a performance enhancement.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #5

Put a stock intake back in it. Those intakes are all junk.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #6

Garage
I work for a filtration company. K&N and the like offer an infinitesimal increase in performance because they are less efficient (that is, less restrictive) than the OE filter. Put the stock intake back on.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #7

Thanks for the help guys. It is either a Fabspeed "V-Flow Air Intake System"
Porsche 986 Boxster V-Flow Air Intake System - Fabspeed Motorsport

or an Evolution "EVO High Flow Intake"
http://www.evoms.com/Porsche_986_High_Flow_Intake_System_EVOMS_p/intk986hf.htm

I'm not yet sure how to tell as they both look very similar. I think it might be the Fabspeed since the housing is metal and the EVO claims to be plastic.

Their dyno data shows a modest increase in power and torque, but mine is missing the gasket on top (and the side gasket isn't good) so I'm sure it is drawing in heated air.

I'll read the threads, but I'm inclined to convert back to stock. We may be moving to a desert-type area and I don't want a less efficient filter.

I wish I'd found this on the Pre-Buy, but it wouldn't have changed anything anyway. The PO was freaking out over the mechanic even touching the car. There were no service records, etc. I knew going in there would be surprises like this.

The worst part is this note on Pelican Parts
NOTE: The 1997-99 Boxster OEM air boxes come equipped with extra resonance chambers and may require that they be removed (or the engine dropped) to remove original unit
If that's true I'll be sticking with this filter box

Last edited by DG Boxster; 05-11-2014 at 06:16 AM.
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

Garage
Here is a used stock box. No affiliation.

2001 Porsche Boxster 986 Engine Cold Air Intake Box Mtoor Sensor MAF 61 461 | eBay
ELoomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG Boxster View Post
I opened up the engine for the first time on my new-to-me Boxster (98, 70k). This car is a bit of a mystery as I don't know much about it, or how it has been serviced. I'm trying to do all the "normal" stuff to get a baseline. That's why I wanted to change the air filter.

Surprise!

Someone has put an aftermarket filter (K&N?) in . The orange hose is a poorly installed gasket that is supposed to go around the intake pipe entering the box.

The air box is open on the top - maybe it seals a bit with the engine cover? I removed the hose clamps and found that you cannot remove the air filter from the box - the filter is too big to get out the top. I think the box would have to be loosened up.

I'm interested in what it would take to go back to the stock configuration. What do you guys think? I can't believe this setup is better than stock.
The previous owner installed an Agency Power Cold air intake system. The split tubing is vibration dampening and acts as a seal around the MAF Tube. There was supposed to be anther piece around the top, to seal the top to the engine cover. The filter is washable similar to a K&N filter and may be oils to catch dust or not oils if you believe that oiling the filter ruins the MAF sensitivity.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
1999 base

Garage
I have a stock air box.
It's yours if you want it. Just pay for shipping ($20-$25 I would guess).

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote