Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #101
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
So on further research.... "private property meaning that tax dollars are not used to keep the property up" Being a school it technically is not private property!
Great point!!!!

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #102

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I get it... the bronco guy doesn't have that 'comprehensive' option and fight to have Jake at fault

So that's why this Bronco dude is making a lot of noise (I was really wondering why?!). Here the insurance co doesn't allow drivers on the roads without this "comprehensive" little addition. You just have no choice to get/pay it

So not only Jake stole his GF (mentioned in previous post) and never got well with him, in a way he also managed to trash his bronco and its' owner's wallet on that one. Bad Bad Bad Jake lol

I wouldn't look for a lawyer if I were Jake.... I would invest this money into finding a real BIGjake for personal protection for a few weeks
Not having to pay comprehensive, if you have tickets, accidents, drunk driving, etc, can be a cost saver, if your driving a cheap car. My step son totaled a car a few months back. It could cost 2 grand or more to insure insure. He can get a beater car and drive it for 3 years and be way ahead. In the States I've lived in - we don't force people to have comprehensive, but you have to have liability to be responsible to other guy. We have 50 of them, so some other States may vary.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #103

Garage
Quote:
Just called the agent apparently no full police reports from private property, so f* me. He was shaking in his boots and stuttering about when we mentioned an attorney. Big lesson here is for everyone to call a cop in the case of an altercation and if their is not a citation make sure the officer makes a full report or something in order to protect you.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Police report or not, because he saw the scene - he becomes a well qualified witness. He may not have to make a report, but he darn well would have to make a statement in a deposition.

To your other comment - in NC - it is 'State Maintained' roads etc that make the difference. The school board, although a government entity does not always make it a 'State Maintained' road. But, I am an IT Guy, not a lawyer. So that's my opinion. Keep your head, stay honest. If it does work out for you today, that attitude will work for the long haul.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #104

Garage
Once the In co gets photos of the other car, liability should be over with, if we don't like the results, we get a lawyer

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #105

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Police report or not, because he saw the scene - he becomes a well qualified witness. He may not have to make a report, but he darn well would have to make a statement in a deposition.

To your other comment - in NC - it is 'State Maintained' roads etc that make the difference. The school board, although a government entity does not always make it a 'State Maintained' road. But, I am an IT Guy, not a lawyer. So that's my opinion. Keep your head, stay honest. If it does work out for you today, that attitude will work for the long haul.
Normal parking lots don't show up on google earth right, I believe the school Parking lot trough ways are on maps and such, I will check.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #106

Garage
Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #107

My prediction is that you will be made whole Jake. However, if it gets litigated you may become familiar with the term "contributory negligence". The damage your car sustained looks like it was the result of more than a "parking lot speed" collision. You had to have witnesses. Can they attest to the fact that you were not ripping down that parking row?
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #108

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
My prediction is that you will be made whole Jake. However, if it gets litigated you may become familiar with the term "contributory negligence". The damage your car sustained looks like it was the result of more than a "parking lot speed" collision. You had to have witnesses. Can they attest to the fact that you were not ripping down that parking row?
There are zero unbiased individuals that can testify anything aside from the police officer or school cameras which the adjuster has contacted the school about but has not heard back from.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #109
On the slippery slope

Garage
so lets get this straight:

The front bumper of the Bronco impacted the passenger side of your Boxster.
Even if you were driving fast in the parking lot, it would still be his fault as you were in the driving lane and no matter how he was parked, he had to pull out and you had the right of way. He should not have pulled out unless it was safe to do so

Since there are no skid marks, you were not driving fast, he has a pretty weak story. Also if you had been driving fast, the impact would have at very least spun him around a little.

I feel for you. Several years ago, my wife was in an accident where the other person basically turned right on a red light without stopping and hit my wife that was making a left turn. It was a low speed collision , maybe 20 mph and it spun the car around about 90 degrees. We ended up in small claims court and the judge ruled he failed to avoid an accident and it was his fault. He was stupid, had he just let the insursnce pay it, it woudl have been better for him. With the lawsuit, it ended up costing him personally an additional $2k.

You will prevail and be made whole again.

BTW, are you in high school or college?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 05-08-2014 at 08:13 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 AM   #110

Garage
High school and the only problem is the kid story is conflicting and supposedly police report is no good without a citation, so all it takes for them to have to further investigate is for the other kid to claim a different story, then if the damages don't prove him guilty I am assuming it is ruled 50/50

Old 05-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
so lets get this straight:

The front bumper of the Bronco impacted the passenger side of your Boxster.
Even if you were driving fast in the parking lot, it would still be his fault as you were in the driving lane and no matter how he was parked, he had to pull out and you had the right of way. He should not have pulled out unless it was safe to do so...
When is was in my early 20s I owned a Mercedes E Class. It was pretty nice car for a kid at that age. I was coming down an alley (probably a bit over the limit) when a realtor who had been showing a house backed out of a blind parking lot right in front of me. My reaction was to swerve to the right to miss him and I did so successfully...but ended up in gravel and slid into the back of a beat up van that was randomly parked to the side of the alley.

The policeman on the scene placed fault with me, claiming that my speed had caused the accident. It was pay day for the van people, the realtor drove away without so much as a warning and the cop told me that if I had hit the realtors car, that he would have been forced to fault the realtor.

I know this is not the exact same scenario. My point is that young men in cars that are perceived to be flashy don't engender good favor or much good will from the community in most cases. I was a known quantity in my community and I certainly was not liked for for having fancy cars and dating attractive young ladies. Truth is most people probably thought I needed to be taken down a notch (and maybe I did, but in a constructive way). I'm sure that policeman thought he did...

I suspect Jake is finding it difficult to find "credible" witnesses because not many people are identifing him as someone who deserves their testimony. He's that "guy with the Porsche" on campus that snaked Redneck Bronco's girl. I have also been "that guy" and I can say that people are petty. Jealousy and Schadenfreude can prevent the truth from surfacing. I'm betting that someone with a conscience saw the accident. I hope they surface.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #112

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
When is was in my early 20s I owned a Mercedes E Class. It was pretty nice car for a kid at that age. I was coming down an alley (probably a bit over the limit) when a realtor who had been showing a house backed out of a blind parking lot right in front of me. My reaction was to swerve to the right to miss him and I did so successfully...but ended up in gravel and slid into the back of a beat up van that was randomly parked to the side of the alley.

The policeman on the scene placed fault with me, claiming that my speed had caused the accident. It was pay day for the van people, the realtor drove away without so much as a warning and the cop told me that if I had hit the realtors car, that he would have been forced to fault the realtor.

I know this is not the exact same scenario. My point is that young men in cars that are perceived to be flashy don't engender good favor or much good will from the community in most cases. I was a known quantity in my community and I certainly was not liked for for having fancy cars and dating attractive young ladies. Truth is most people probably thought I needed to be taken down a notch (and maybe I did, but in a constructive way). I'm sure that policeman thought he did...

I suspect Jake is finding it difficult to find "credible" witnesses because not many people are identifing him as someone who deserves their testimony. He's that "guy with the Porsche" on campus that snaked Redneck Bronco's girl. I have also been "that guy" and I can say that people are petty. Jealousy and Schadenfreude can prevent the truth from surfacing. I'm betting that someone with a conscience saw the accident. I hope they surface.
The witness issue is simply because everyone knows someone, my friends that claim I am innocent are just as useful as the kids helping the other party, the issue lies that it isn't so and so saw this car hit that one, everyone knows everyone as we all go to school together so only a teacher would count as a witness.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:31 AM   #113
I am my own mechanic....

Too bad you don't have Geico. This one is so obvious, even the caveman could see it.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #114

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Too bad you don't have Geico. This one is so obvious, even the caveman could see it.
Im just glad my car wasn't flipped over by some hooligans :ah:
Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #115

Garage
The diagram I shared here that I quickly made in Microsoft paint has basically won the case, the adjuster is having the officer to call her just to have a higher source agreeing on our side then the case will be closed, thank you ms paint!

Old 05-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #116

Garage
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52070-totaled-boxster-parted-out.html

just linking these two threads togeather.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #117
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
The diagram I shared here that I quickly made in Microsoft paint has basically won the case, the adjuster is having the officer to call her just to have a higher source agreeing on our side then the case will be closed, thank you ms paint!

YIPEEE. Glad to hear that

Now you just need to make sure you get top $$ in the settlement

Find several Boxsters that are equal or better than yours and that is your basis for replacement cost. You want to have printouts of them with the selling price

also they should add in some $$ for your trouble as well as either a rental car or payment for the rental car

Remember, this was not your fault and you deserve to be compensated for your loss
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #118

Congratulations Jake!!! That's great news.

I'd not worry about a buy back right now. Focus on maximizing the gross settlement. I'm betting the settlement will end up between $10,000and 11,000. Calculated salvage value will likely be between $2000-3000. Depending on state law a buy back will mean mandatory salvage title. If you can walk away with $8,000 and your car, I'd keep it and part it out (if you have room to store it...it takes months/years to fully part out most vehicles).
Old 05-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #119

Garage
Good news is, looking on the market, there are cars with nearly 200k miles going for 9k... could easily get 10 or so without even fighting it, then after fighting it and adding in glass top, rental car, and having principle and teachers testify against the stress and such. In the end with all of that i could honestly see getting 11k or so market value. After that we belive we have examples of tottalled cars that will allow us to buy mine back for around 2k. Sell the top, engine, and trans. And i should turn a profit... Good news is while the boxster market seems actually pretty high up right now from when i was buying last year, the gap between a normal car and an S has went down. I could very very well find myself driving an S soon! And i will still have the left overs of me 2.5 car to continue selling or to just send off whatever is left for like 1k or so.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #120

Garage
Not sure how it works in S Carolina, but don't forget to ask to be compensated for what it will cost for taxes and registration on the new car. Both are part of the buying process and need to be compensated for not just what you can find cars selling for in ads.