Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Long, boring drives....

I'm in Winnemucca, Nevada. Middle of nowhere. Driving to Santa Rosa to pick up my son and his stuff. Long, dramatic story of the whole world against him......ANYWAY.....

Driving the truck. Windows up, windows down. Move hands to different positions on wheel. Cruise on, cruise off. See Antelope.

That's about it. It's Nevada. My wife would never set foot in this cheap motel room! It's pretty bad.

How do you cope with long, boring drives? ( or a 22 year old man with a serious sense of entitlement and no job and dropped out of school I bought all books for????)

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Copious amounts of Red Bull and rock/electronic music. That's just me anyway.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I'm in Winnemucca, Nevada. Middle of nowhere. Driving to Santa Rosa to pick up my son and his stuff. Long, dramatic story of the whole world against him......ANYWAY.....

Driving the truck. Windows up, windows down. Move hands to different positions on wheel. Cruise on, cruise off. See Antelope.

That's about it. It's Nevada. My wife would never set foot in this cheap motel room! It's pretty bad.

How do you cope with long, boring drives? ( or a 22 year old man with a serious sense of entitlement and no job and dropped out of school I bought all books for????)
Buy a cb radio and mess around with truckers, pretend to be a woman with the moniker candycane and tell the trucker to meet you (candycane) in the hotel room next to you. Just hope that you do not find the occupant of the next over hotel room with his jaw missing in the middle of the road the next morning.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

as far as the entitled 22 yr old son goes, pick him up in the boxy, not the truck. tell him if he wants his stuff to call a mover, when he explains he doesn't have the money, advise him to get a job. after needing to work, his attitude towards school will change. oh by the way, be sure to bring home his textbooks, they are yours (you paid for them) (he will need them when he figures out the world is a rough place to make a living).
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #5

AM/FM radio set to scan 'til I find something interesting.
Audio books.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Someone left a coors light bottle in the bed of my truck.....

Classy town!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #7

Some people like audio books for long trips.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Audio books and satellite radio keep me alert on long trips. On sat radio, I like to listen to the comedy stations - listening to a good standup routine and laughing while driving is fairly entertaining. But then, I am easily entertained.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Buy a cb radio and mess around with truckers, pretend to be a woman with the moniker candycane and tell the trucker to meet you (candycane) in the hotel room next to you. Just hope that you do not find the occupant of the next over hotel room with his jaw missing in the middle of the road the next morning.
Jake,

Don't you have some homework to do this weekend? Or chores?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Jake,

Don't you have some homework to do this weekend? Or chores?
Haha parents are actually out of town this weekend so i got everything i needed to have done on friday, i had just got back from a bonfire when i posted haha.

As for op and your son.... at least he is not flipping smart cars.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Haha parents are actually out of town this weekend so i got everything i needed to have done on friday, i had just got back from a bonfire when i posted haha.

You do realize that having friends over while his aunt and her husband were out of town was what got him booted....better watch out for your neighbors!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
You do realize that having friends over while his aunt and her husband were out of town was what got him booted....better watch out for your neighbors!
I did not host, and my older sister was at the bonfire. TY for the concerns though . Worse then getting booted, my parents threaten me with selling the boxster!
Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #13

Garage
Dealing with entitlement starts at a much younger age and mom has to be on board. My ex had an extreme sense of entitlement that came out later in our marriage. The kids were becoming like her as well. Rules didn't mean anything when mom doesn't enforce while dad is gone at work. I ended up divorcing her for this and several other reasons but mainly I was afraid of how my kids would turn out. I was not popular but when it came to the kids, I made sure they understood that they were not entitled to anything other than food and shelter. Mom always told them dad would pay for everything. Wrong. They all had around $4000 in an account from their grandparents which was opened when each was born. They wanted to use it to buy a car. Fine, but you MUST have a job to pay for gas, insurance, repairs. I got all kinds of grief over that. It would take hours to relate all of the stories and drama but long story short, I now have three very responsible young adult children, a third grade teacher, a social worker for Child Protective Services, and a Marine.

My oldest, the teacher, who was once by far the most entitled, said to me in college(which she was paying for through, grants, scholarships and work)(I was still paying child support on her, another long story, can't pay for both), "You know dad, I'm becoming a lot like you." She called me two days ago to tell me how good it felt to have an excellent credit score/report. Her mother has declared bankruptcy and 11 years after divorcing her, I still get calls about every other month from creditors trying to find her. Not my problem anymore I had dinner last night with my two girls and their husbands, both fine, responsible men. Oh, and their weddings had a budget, and anything above that amount was on them. You would be amazed at how nice of a wedding you can have when you combine a budget with hard work and creativity!

To cure a sense of entitlement means that you are going to have to make some very unpopular decisions, and then stick to them no matter how much others pressure you. You will have to battle yourself to not give in. Giving in is easy, sticking it out is very difficult. But the rewards are worth it! Good luck
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #14

I like to listen to the comedy stations - listening to a good standup routine and laughing while driving is fairly entertaining.

+1 on that. Works for me all the time on my boring East Texas trips. Son could use a laugh also it seems.

Last edited by rp17; 04-27-2014 at 07:52 AM.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Dealing with entitlement starts at a much younger age and mom has to be on board. My ex had an extreme sense of entitlement that came out later in our marriage. The kids were becoming like her as well. Rules didn't mean anything when mom doesn't enforce while dad is gone at work. I ended up divorcing her for this and several other reasons but mainly I was afraid of how my kids would turn out. I was not popular but when it came to the kids, I made sure they understood that they were not entitled to anything other than food and shelter. Mom always told them dad would pay for everything. Wrong. They all had around $4000 in an account from their grandparents which was opened when each was born. They wanted to use it to buy a car. Fine, but you MUST have a job to pay for gas, insurance, repairs. I got all kinds of grief over that. It would take hours to relate all of the stories and drama but long story short, I now have three very responsible young adult children, a third grade teacher, a social worker for Child Protective Services, and a Marine.

My oldest, the teacher, who was once by far the most entitled, said to me in college(which she was paying for through, grants, scholarships and work)(I was still paying child support on her, another long story, can't pay for both), "You know dad, I'm becoming a lot like you." She called me two days ago to tell me how good it felt to have an excellent credit score/report. Her mother has declared bankruptcy and 11 years after divorcing her, I still get calls about every other month from creditors trying to find her. Not my problem anymore I had dinner last night with my two girls and their husbands, both fine, responsible men. Oh, and their weddings had a budget, and anything above that amount was on them. You would be amazed at how nice of a wedding you can have when you combine a budget with hard work and creativity!

To cure a sense of entitlement means that you are going to have to make some very unpopular decisions, and then stick to them no matter how much others pressure you. You will have to battle yourself to not give in. Giving in is easy, sticking it out is very difficult. But the rewards are worth it! Good luck
Always nice to hear wisdom.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
jakesbox

Quote:

I am picturing parents being gone...porsche in the garage...total 80s movie ...Risky Business anyone!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I am picturing parents being gone...porsche in the garage...total 80s movie ...Risky Business anyone!
I have had so many people tell me i shouldve been born in the 80s because of my car, while the boxster is too new, alot of people say it just feels like all the highschool sports cars 80s protagonist have haha!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 AM   #18

Coffee.

(And be patient with the boy - the problems could be much worse).

/

Last edited by fatmike; 04-29-2014 at 02:50 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #19

Don't worry about the boy, first serious girlfriend should clear all that up.

This is why mothers envy their daughters-in-law; the moms spend half their lives trying in vain to get the kid to pick up his socks and the new wife comes along and suddenly the boy will vacuum, do dishes, tidy up, etc.

Maybe ask around among your friends' daughters for a blind date for your son? Preferably with an ambitious, goal-oriented, college-attending girl.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #20

Timco, +5 on the audiobooks. Last one I listened to on a cross-country trip that I thoroughly enjoyed and would be EXCELLENT for your son is Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

When I was 22, I dropped out of college and drove home on borrowed gas money and had zero motivation to do anything for anyone, even myself. Know what my problem was? I had no dreams I was willing to make sacrifices for and work hard to achieve.

My dad was quite worried and frustrated as well. But I turned out fine... married 27 years to the same woman; house and cars paid off; money in the bank for retirement; two businesses; and a new golden retriever. There's not much more a guy could ask for. Keep your chin up.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote