Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 02:51 AM   #1

theft prevention lug nuts- may not have the socket

Had my new to me 02 S on the lift yesterday doing my first oil change. As the oil was draining I did a cursory inspection of the underside then moved to suspension/wheels. I noticed each wheel has one " security " lug nut.........hmmm I don't remember a socket in the tool kit. Today I'll take a better look through the tool kit/car to see if the correct socket is somewhere. But if I don't find the correct socket how do I remove those lug bolts ? I plan to replace with a conventional lug bolt. Do independant shops have a universal socket or is there a trick or take to a dealer ? I'm hoping I find the socket. And where to purchase lug bolts ? Dealer or ?

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
This is going to sound brutal, but it works. Find an old socket that just barely is too small. Drive it onto the lock with a sledge or heavy hammer. Put a breaker bar or impact wrench on it and the lock will come right off. The socket I used held out for all four locks. It was toast after that, but it worked and it was free.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #3

There are sockets that supposedly are made for bolts/nuts where the head is rounded/stripped. I'm wondering if they would grab ? I'll keep in mind the " hammer " method. Thanks
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #4

My socket actually split on me while trying to remove. I just stopped by the local Porsche dealer where they had one and removed the lug bolt free of charge. Just make sure to bring extra lug bolts to replace the old ones.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
recycledsixtie

Garage
Last fall I broke my white metal(seemed like it) socket trying to remove the security lug nut. Fortunately my indy shop came to the rescue and removed all 4 security lug nuts from the wheels . I have OEM wheels and new tires but I don't park my car in dark alleys so I am not too concerned about theft.
Cheers,G.
PS There is a company in the US that supplies these theft key sockets. You have to take a pic of the sec. bolt and send it to them. I found it just easier to get rid of the darn things.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
There are sockets that supposedly are made for bolts/nuts where the head is rounded/stripped. I'm wondering if they would grab ? I'll keep in mind the " hammer " method. Thanks
I tried the whole Porsche Dealer method. I went to two both swearing they had the master keys. Neither did. I also tried those special sockets you are referring to none fit. Then I did the "hammer" method as you called it. 5 minutes later I was putting new lug bolts in without the locks.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #7

Garage
It should be in the tool kit, if not.... Im sure there are owners in your area on the forum, maybe one would be willing to lend you theirs.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
It should be in the tool kit, if not.... Im sure there are owners in your area on the forum, maybe one would be willing to lend you theirs.
Each key lock and bolt are different. Unfortunately, you must go to a dealer for the master key. Or you do the socket and hammer method (hint hint stomp stomp)
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #9

You might find it in the pouch in the spare tire cover.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
You might find it in the pouch in the spare tire cover.
yes look all down into the pouch mine fell out of the tool kit and was at the bottom of the spare tire cover.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #11

I think these are more of a nuisance for the owners than an actual theft prevention lug nuts. I want to change all my lugnuts to standard ones. These locks only prevents the owners from removing the wheels when it comes to Porsche's.

Honda's are a different category. I'd have 4 sets on each wheel and these still will not keep thieves from stealing your wheels.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

Garage
Just another reason to get rid of them.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #13

I believe this is the ONLY forum that I come across that hates anti-theft lug nut/bolt. It's more helpful than you think. It's not an anti-theft device per-se, only a deterrent. When it's torqued properly down, it's really hard to take off w/o impact wrench.

I just don't see the big deal is. It's very helpful to have anti-theft lug nuts/bolts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I think these are more of a nuisance for the owners than an actual theft prevention lug nuts. I want to change all my lugnuts to standard ones. These locks only prevents the owners from removing the wheels when it comes to Porsche's.

Honda's are a different category. I'd have 4 sets on each wheel and these still will not keep thieves from stealing your wheels.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
Gone

Garage
I want to get rid of my security lug nuts. As soon as I find a set of new lugs.

I have insurance to cover theft. There is a point where you just can't prevent bad stuff. Theft proof motor mount nuts?

To me- the chances are much greater that I will need to change a flat on a dark/wet/cold night in east LA than to have someone pull my wheels in at the Holiday Inn. And I want only one kind of lug nut to worry about.
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
I believe this is the ONLY forum that I come across that hates anti-theft lug nut/bolt. It's more helpful than you think. It's not an anti-theft device per-se, only a deterrent. When it's torqued properly down, it's really hard to take off w/o impact wrench.

I just don't see the big deal is. It's very helpful to have anti-theft lug nuts/bolts.
As a deterrent Yes - prevention - no.
But the real question is what is the likelyhood someone will steal these wheels? I'm with Davev on this one.

Using an impact wrench on these is a big no no. You will crack the socket. I already know that from experience. Once you crack this socket there's no turning back. You have to remove all of them which I did on one of my cars. With it a bunch of scracthes in the lug hole where they used their tool to remove it.

I've never heard of anyone on Porsche forums having their wheels stolen and I'm on several forums and a 20+ years of Porsche ownership. I've heard of their car being stolen but not just the wheels.

It's only my opinion.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #16

Removing security lugs bolts - sucess.

This topic makes me a little nervous because for many of us with stock 17 inch wheels the theft protection probably isn't really needed. Who is going to steal those wheels in the days of 18" 19" etc wheels? But, if you have a higher end optional wheel then the security lugs make sense.

During the process of repairing, rebuilding, and parting, I've gotten pretty good at getting those off. At first I bought every security socket that I could (priced reasonable) looking for exactly the one I needed. When I couldn't find exactly what I needed, then I took one that matched at least 4 of the slots and used a dremel tool to remove the other bumps. That worked great, but even then it could be hard to match every application. Finally, I had one car left that I didn't have an acceptable fit, so the socket and hammer method came to mind.

At first I tried a normal socket. I guess I'm not willing to beat the heck out of a Porsche, because I could NOT get the socket on well enough that it didn't come off when then turning with a wrench.

Next I tried a Craftsman #13 Bolt Out (see photo). It worked very well. You slam it on with a sledge, then turn. It is designed to grip the bolt head tighter as you turn, but be careful, if it does slip, it will shave the metal and then, because the diameter of the bolt head has been reduced, it won't get as good a grip on the bolt the next time. WARNING, it will severely scare the head.

To the moderators, I'm okay if this determined to be too much info for the bad guys and deleted. I'm hoping only the good guys will find it, but that's really more like wishful thinking.

Hesitantly,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #17

Theft don't have schedule and sure they won't give you notice.

Thieves don't care about breaking their own socket... what the hell you talking about? hahah... JK. I know what you meant but I was talking about stealing it.

Well, I heard these design socket are weak but I prefer the McGard brand and thinkking of doing stud/nut conversion.

stolen example

But hey... it's your car, you can do whatever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
As a deterrent ...But the real question is what is the likelyhood someone will steal these wheels? I'm with Davev on this one.

Using an impact wrench on these is a big no no. You will crack the socket. I already know that from experience. Once you crack this socket there's no turning back. You have to remove all of them which I did on one of my cars. With it a bunch of scracthes in the lug hole where they used their tool to remove it.

I've never heard of anyone on Porsche forums having their wheels stolen and I'm on several forums and a 20+ years of Porsche ownership. I've heard of their car being stolen but not just the wheels.

Last edited by Trey T; 04-14-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #18

The problem I've ran into is whenever I take the car for new tires. Each time I do this those jokers never torque the studs properly. On my 944 turbo they overtightened. When I tried to rotate the tires the special socket broke.

I've had to do this twice. Ever since then I only used standard lug nuts.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #19

I can't speak for all Discount Tire stores but several stores in my area do torque them properly. However, they will knick your wheel if you don't tell them about it bc they use sockets w/o rubber cover.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #20

They are a PITA...get rid of them. One of the first things I did when I bought my Box or any other P-Car. Funny thing is people actually buy those used on eBay...can't figure.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote