Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #1

Question Power Window Motor, Regulator, Both or Neither

OK my passenger window makes a grinding noise. going up & down.
When I use the single click to put it up, it goes all the way up and then down half way. I then have to hold the button in the up position to put it all the way up. I think it may be scratching the window as well.

Anyone experience this before?
Can anyone diagnose this for me?

This is an '02 triple black boxster with 38k on it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Unhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #2

I'm not sure if the Boxster has these, but in the 928 there are felt guides that the window slides between. If one comes off or wears out, it can scratch the window and the window feels a little loose.

For the up/down problem, try resetting your windows. Do a search through the forums here and on www.renntech.org for "reset window" or either word to find it. It involves unplugging the battery for a few minutes, then plugging it back in and doing sequence with the window switches. That sets the upper limit of the window so it stops at that point. If it doesn't stop and feels too pressure because the limit is not set, it may go back down because it thinks something (like your arm) is stuck in the window.

Hope it helps.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Grinding can also come from a regulator that's about to die on you. They cost about 175 plus installation, BTW, and are side-specific.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #4

I just opened my door panel today. I should have taken pictures, but time didn't permit me. I found what was wrong, as I too have the same problem as you. The motor itself looks fine. It's the I guess "regulator" that is messed up. I still need confirmation or need more research done to confirm if it is the "regulator" I'm talking about.

Anyways', it's the piece that attaches directly to the motor complex. It is where the wire from the tracts wind up/coil and uncoil when the window goes up and down. I had the same problem with an old altima once, and I replaced the entire thing. Well, moving forward, I found that the wire coiled up was frayed (as expected) and tangled inside this spindle.

My question is then.. can we buy this piece alone? or do I have to buy the motor all together? I'll post back because I'm determined to fix this. I haven't been able to open my window for weeks!

That's grinding noise by the way, is from the cables rubbing on each other. I noticed this noise, and the auto window "roll down". It was only a matter of time when the window woulnd't roll down anymore.
ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #5

i had a window regulator replaced at the dealer and thought you may be curious to know what they charged. it was about 600.00

ok stop laughing at me.....please
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #6

Yeah.. it's the regulator. Ebay sells them and i'm looking in other places too. The window motor is pricey, but this is usually not the problem. The regulator should come with the entire tract and what have you. Here's a link for some quick referencing.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=274468&highlight=regulator

Depending on when i can get a hold of this part, i'll post pics of my progress. But first, I need to figure out my idle problem.

Last edited by ralegen; 04-14-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
My car is in the shop today having a window regulator replaced. You may be interested to know that this part is NOT covered by the certified pre-owned warranty!! Which means that today, I'm incurring my first expense on this car not related to gas and oil. It's $428 including installation at my dealership if you're curious.

And yes, if it's the grinding noise, then it's your regulator. A bad motor means the window just doesn't move at all (I had one of those a month ago and it WAS covered by the warranty -- go figure).
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #8

My regulator should be coming in soon. As I mentioned before, I replaced one in an older Altima before. Not the most difficult task; and by looking at the step by step instructions online, it really isn't that bad. I have my door pretty much prepped up (i.e. most of the bolts and handle grips are off temporarily. Oh and forget Ebay for this part, unless they sell it cheaper. I went to Sunset Porsche, and it was way cheaper. Ebay is what $169 plus $12? Sunset was like $149.00 with about the same shipping amount. I was ordering other parts from them at the time, and when they quoted me $149 for the regulator, I bought it in a heartbeat.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
DC1

I have a question regarding the window regulator? Both of my windows when put in the down position, usually for the first time make a slight "click noise", it only happens once then it is fine, I was told it might be a regulator? Its only when the window hits the bottom, is that normal? I also can see a very faint vertical track lines that wipe off on each window but I wonder if that is just dust since my building is being renovated there is alot of dust around. Thank you.
DC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 PM   #10

Here's a link with visuals

For those of you who do not know how to do this:

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/
Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygottaporsche
i had a window regulator replaced at the dealer and thought you may be curious to know what they charged. it was about 600.00

ok stop laughing at me.....please

I guess this service must be a cash cow for dealers now.
It only cost $320 installed for mine if I recall.

tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote