Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 AM   #1

Oil level indicator

Recently I had the IMS, RMS, AOS, flywheel, clutch, rear CV axles and oil changed by my local Pcar indy shop.

The oil indicator level on the dash has always agreed with the dipstick in the past. Since I've had the car back, 4 days, the two no longer agree.

Several times I've turned the key and waited for the oil level on the dash to display and it's been showing 1 bar above the lowest level possible. I immediately check the dipstick and it shows that the oil is right at the top notch on the dipstick, so it's fine. Once I drive it and the oil is hot, when I shut the car off and wait for the indicator to retest, it will show 2 bars below the highest level.

What could have changed with the above service that now my dash indicator is so inaccurate? It makes me nervous to not be able to rely any longer on that as a general idea of the amount of oil that is in the car.

Yes, the car is on the level when measuring the oil.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
I am sure others will chime in but I would trust the dipstick over the guage. The dipstick shows full on my Box but the guage shows one bar over.
Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #3

I'll definitely trust the dipstick. I'm just wondering if something may have been damaged that the oil indicator is no long accurate. I'd like to fix that if it's the case.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #4

Garage
I vaguely remember (against all logic) that the gauge is more accurate than the stick. ill cruise around the forum see if I can find that.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186 View Post
I vaguely remember (against all logic) that the gauge is more accurate than the stick. ill cruise around the forum see if I can find that.

Thank you. They just did the oil change a few hundred miles ago and put in 9.5 quarts, so not sure what is going on.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlethespirit View Post
Thank you. They just did the oil change a few hundred miles ago and put in 9.5 quarts, so not sure what is going on.
I think 9.5 qts is a little too much. I would suggest you drain some. Check your manual to see what your capacity is. Overfilled oil causes AOS failures.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlethespirit View Post
After looking around the forum. (and a trip to DC for some lunch) it seems that both are a bit on the unreliable side.

I know for my car it always seems like there is some play with the dipstick so I never truly know how accurate it is.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Oil capacity is 8.7 and you want to add at least 1/2 quart for the oil filter so 9.5 is not to much. That is what I run in my 98. As for not matching with the electronics...mine is the same way. Follow the dipstick and you will be fine.

Note: if you are above full on the stick you have overfilled and these engines don't like excess oil.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Oil capacity is 8.7 and you want to add at least 1/2 quart for the oil filter so 9.5 is not to much. That is what I run in my 98. As for not matching with the electronics...mine is the same way. Follow the dipstick and you will be fine.

Note: if you are above full on the stick you have overfilled and these engines don't like excess oil.
I've seen it too many times to agree with this mand experienced it myself first hand.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote