Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 100
Orlando Florida Mechanics

Has anyone used Kennedy Motor Sport or Redbone Garage in Orlando Florida for a mechanic. If so which one is better. Are they certified. I do not want to get ripped off. I need to get my 60000 tune up and a couple of minor adjustments. How much should the 60k cost. The dealer quoted $1300 which seemed pretty high.
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 182
I've never used Kennedy but I have used Redbone and Robin is a pretty standup guy, I don't think you can go ronnd with him.

My local mechanic is Troysport. Sid Collins is the owner and he's also the technical director for the local club. Although he specializes in the air cooled Porsche's he's fully up to speed on the 986/996 models too. He is more of a "project" oriented shop and does a lot of race prep and track conversions but that doesn't mean he can't do the 60K service. He has a lot of customers that have him do everything, including oil changes. I trusted him with all the serious work on my '98 911 turbo and he never let me down. Give him a call and tell him Mark Whatman sent you.

http://www.troysport.com/ 407-297-7733
__________________
Cogito Ergo Zoom!
I Think, therefore I go fast

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 283
ha ha ha ha ha...$1300? Are they nuts? 80% of it can be done easily in your driveway for only the cost of parts and an hour or two of your time. The other 20%, as others on this forum have noted, would be to have a trusted Porsche Certified Mechanic give your car a good look over. They know what to look for on these cars at 60,000. They can pick up on troubles before they become major problems. Definitely call around and get better pricing!
__________________
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2007 Lexus RX350
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Hi,

Here's the 60k mi. Service. Check it for yourself and see if it's something you can do. The majority of it consists of visual inspections of various parts and systems. You don't necessarily need to be Porsche Trained to spot a problem in most of these areas, anyone with a greater than passing knowledge of General Automotive wouldn't have a problem, except for Fault and Code checking, which you can do with an aftermarket reader. But by following a checklist, you will likely check areas which you otherwise would not...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-19-2006 at 07:45 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 100
Hi,
Thank you so much for the advise. I really appreciate the help

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page