Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #1

Garage
Jack stand height for transaxle removal

I was planning on removing my transaxle with the use of 4 jack stands, but I'm a little concerned that I won't have enough height with my stands. They go up to 21 inches. Anyone have any experience with this? My jack goes down to a little less than 3 inches. Can it be done? Will I have to remove the back bumper cover?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #2

I never measured- but I am fairly certain I have 20" high jack stands. With patience, and an extra eye I removed my 6spd tranny AND the engine on the ground. Taking off your rear bumper cover isn't 100% necessary, but for the extra 10 mins it takes to take it off you will have SO much more room, and light.

Highly recommended.

Also be really careful jacking up the car onto 4 jack stands at that height. I used 2 jacks, 4 jack stands, and cut up 6x6's to ~14" and stood them vertically for added safety.
2010 CBR1000RR- Sold
Wilson01S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
I never measured- but I am fairly certain I have 20" high jack stands. With patience, and an extra eye I removed my 6spd tranny AND the engine on the ground. Taking off your rear bumper cover isn't 100% necessary, but for the extra 10 mins it takes to take it off you will have SO much more room, and light.

Highly recommended.

Also be really careful jacking up the car onto 4 jack stands at that height. I used 2 jacks, 4 jack stands, and cut up 6x6's to ~14" and stood them vertically for added safety.
When you say "on the ground", do you mean that you took them all the way to the ground and slid them out? I plan on leaving the trans on the fully collapsed jack and rolling them out the rear of the car.

Did you use all of that stuff to get it up on the stands, or just for safety after it was already up?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
+1 on removing the rear bumper. With that out of the way, there's plenty of room to roll the trans out.