Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Window drop/window drop speed.

Greetings folks,

Long time no post! I just installed a used 04 top on my 02 S and all went well (under 2hrs from start to finish with a helper).

As I was tweaking the top, I noticed that my pax side door window has gotten lazy and was catching the top of the roof channel when opened... I have a similar issue on the driver's side that I've been living with for a year. The difference between pax side and the drives side is that the pax side does not drop at all from actuating the door handle (that tells me the micro-switch is shot), I know this because if I hold the door closed and actuate the door handle the window does nothing. Unlike the pax side, the Driver's side window will go down when I pull the handle with the door held closed, but the switch is triggered very late in the in the handle's travel, so the window snags the roof channel when the door is opened.

So my questions (after searching the forums thoroughly) are:

1) Is there any adjustment in the actuation of the window micro-switches to make them actuate sooner?

2) Is there a DIY posted anywhere?

3) P/N for micro-switches and best source?

Many Thanks!

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

I hate this. I have got it down now where when I am getting in the car, I lift the handle, and then pull the door open in 2 distinct steps. Otherwise the door catches.

My passengers are harder to train... and anyway now that window doesn't stay down when the door is open, which is the microswitch in the door lock assembly. I have got the parts... just don't want to dive into that door. But when it was working it was slow too.

I have read if the windows drop slow on the 944 you can speed them up just by replacing the window switch, which somehow lets more electricity to the motor. (the article was a buying guide for 944 and said this was a common issue with an easy fix) I wonder if there is some relay or connection that is worn out in the boxster and not letting enough juice through to the window motor when the handle is lifted. Or if we just have to train our passengers to life the handle first, and then open the door once the window drops...

Anyone that has a 986 that bought it new, were the windows faster when new?

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #3

It may be possible that the motor in your window regulator is actually working to drop the window, but the cable in the window regulator has too much slack in it to actually lower the window. You can test this by opening the door and then pushing down on the glass. If it easily can be pushed down about an inch or more and has a ton of play allowing you to move it up and down, this could be your problem. The good news is that it is super easy to fix it for about $3.00.

See this thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable-3.html
Old 03-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Dave,
Thanks for the help. This is looks like exactly what I need to do!
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 AM   #5

Hi folks,

I have a '97 boxster and the driver side window doesn't work at all.
I thought it's gonna be an easy fix with a new regulator, but no success. Checked the power supply and it looks like it gets the 12v from the switch up and down , but still doesn't work. I had an idea. I swapped the two regulators and the driver side one works fine on the passenger side but doesn't do anything in it's place.
Any idea?

JohnyG is offline   Reply With Quote