Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Should I pull the trigger??

Hello all!! I have been hanging around this forum for awhile now, trying to learn as much as I can. While saving my cash to buy my first Boxster. I have been taking my time, and looking for the right car. I have finally found one I am interested in. It is a 1999. Black with a black roof, and tan leather interior. It comes with a hard top, which is currently installed. Apparently the plastic window on the soft top is torn. It has145,000 Kilometers on the clock. The owner just had a new clutch, breaks and rear LEDs put on the car with bills to prove it. He says at time of the clutch install his mechanic said IMS bearing didn't require changing. The seller is asking $9800 saftied and etested. Photos below.
What do you think?

pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
The pluses are that you have access to receipts for work done. You should get a PPI done anyway - the cheapest and best spent $200 you will spend in your life.

Another plus is the hardtop is worth about $1500 if it is in good shape.

Before the PPI it would be a good idea to get help removing the hardtop and cycle the top up and down to make sure everything works.

Turn ignition on without starting engine and make all dash lights light up especially the CEL light. Start engine and make sure all lights go off.

Make sure air cond. blows cold air. Make sure everything works.

Once you get to the PPI completion if there is anything wrong with the car use future repairs as a negotiating tool.

Don't feel the pressure to buy. Take your time. There will be other Boxsters coming up for sale this spring. Enjoy the ride. Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Personally I don't like the all black styling of this example and the seats look pretty beat up from the one picture. This guy obviously screwed around alot with this car, could be some hidden issues. Save your money for a cleaner >= 2000 model.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

cars at these miles will need (especially it iwas driven during any cold months in Canada, hardtop tells me it has):

Suspension: $2-$3K. New shocks, probably new control arm assemblies.
Cooling: $1-2K for water pump, new tank, new thermostat, updated coolant cap, new coolant fluid.
Wheel bearings: probably shot by now. Not cheap.
Pick one of the following: AOS, starter, fuel pump. I doubt a 145KM (90K mile) car is still on all three originals.
Rotors (not just the brake pads) that's about $1K shop rate with parts and labor.

The 1997-99 have a more durable IMS bearing but clutch replacing time is when you want to refresh for a newer bearing since you have the transmission out. I don't think passing up the chance was smart.
Check the rear tires, if tread is not deep enough budget $600 for new rear tires and mounting/balancing.
Also, MAF and your catalytic conververts (if you use these in CAN) are often done before 90K miles.

p.s.
Black car: it's not a color it's a job. Get familiar with an orbital polisher to remove swirls now...those aren't coming out by hand and they're far more visible in black than any other color.

p.s.
Those calipers have been painted red. Or did he upgrade to the Carrera calipers found on the S Boxster?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-12-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #5

a few grand more should get you an 's' model; a lot more car. find jaykay on this forum; he's a TO fellow that could help you out.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #6

rear tire needs air...clearly not an enthusiast.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #7

Bit Too MUCH

Hey, I live in Southern California and just picked up a 2000 Boxster for 11500 with 59K miles and passed up on a 99 with 50K for 10500. I offered the owner 9500 and he accepted, by the time I returned with the money he ended up selling it. So there are deals out there you just have to be patient. Oh and both cars had complete service history.
BoxOfFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Cool Car looks real tired !

Do yourself a favor and save your money.. Spring is coming and i'm sure a few good 986's would come out for Sale... just my 2cents... otherwise, you get what you pay for... as for $9800 that's a bit too steep for that condition, not counting hidden defects... you'd be glad you listened to a few recommendations from our forum members!
good luck
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #9

How much extra to remove those unsightly stickers?
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #10

I think $9800 is pretty decent price if there are no surprises but I'd hold out for an S.

Definately get a Boxster enthusiast to help you check it out for a miriad of subtle details that should be checked.

I think there is a sticky with links to a buying checklist and also do a PPI.

The PPI is a great bargaining tool and you will make that money spent back during price haggling.

You should count on spending a couple thousand additional in the first year as well to sort things out.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

Lets take the emotion out of this. Its a 15 year old car. If YOU like the car, buy it! If it turns out to be a POS, sell it. If it doesn't, enjoy the heck out of it!.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:20 PM   #12

First off, you guys rock!!!! Great insight from people who know what they are talking about is a good thing. It seems perfectlap hit it on the head. I drove the car today, and it felt like there was no suspension installed on the back of the car at all!! So the search continues.
Thanks for the help!!
pony13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
Perfectlap gets the prize. Ding ding ding ding.....G.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote