Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #1

Borla muffler

http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2003/Porsche/Boxster/Roadster+SStainless_Steel_Cat-Back_System/140115/

Has anyone tried this thing or know were one can find a sound clip?

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:34 AM   #2

I would think it will sound a bit close to V8 since it's a 6 (the front page of borla.com has 3 tunes of "sport compact", "v8 muscle", and "truck/suv" if you didn't see it). The tone of "sport compact" sounded like a broken toilet IMHO.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:31 AM   #3

I don't trust Borla's claims about horsepower increases. Makes me suspicious about their other product claims.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #4

When I used to be a Mustang guy, I know that the Borla products were viewed to be of exceptional build quality and very expensive. You really got a quality piece of metal to bolt to your car, but the general consensus was that it made the 4.6 sound like a pickup truck so no one bought it. Most of the point of the exhaust for those cars is sound unless you are going full set up with headers, mid-pipe and maybe a supercharger – then maybe you would see some power gain.

Of course the Porsche is such a different animal it might sound good on our cars, and maybe it will produce the power they say – but it didn’t do either on the Mustangs.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #5

Borla Mufflers Are CRAP

Here's the dirt on the Borla Mufflers:

1) 3 piece build (2 exterior nipples, 1 interior straight tube): Over time (usually 1-2 years) the stress from hanging the mufflers will cause the nipples to crack and separate from the body of the muffler. The muffler will be covered under warranty, but you will need to fork out $$$$$ for labor to remove and replace the muffler.

2) Borla uses fiberglass filling which within the year will absorb moister, blow back to one corner of the muffler and eventually blow out. Plus the filling will soak up the moister and be very heavy which aides in cracking the nipple seams (above)

3) They are a rip-off
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #6

Magnaflow Mufflers are the BEST

Why?

1) Lifetime warranty

2) The best Stainless you can buy (polished mufflers) that will not rust out

3) 1-piece single manderal bent interior perforrated tube (better flow too)

4) Rockwool filling that actually expands and seals itself inside the muffler.

5) Filling expells moister

6) WAYYYY cheaper than Borla

How do I know all this???

Magnaflow National Sales Manager for 2 years.

Why do I like Magnaflow?

I've been all around the country and seen of Borla mufflers not even a year old on pallets to be sent back to Borla for warranty.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 PM   #7

Does Magnaflow make a Boxster Muffler?

If so it is not on their website.
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trube78
If so it is not on their website.
I have not heard that they do either. It would be great if they do though as I agree with KRZTACO. I bought one of their kits for the old Stang and was more than pleased. Exceptional quality product at a good price.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:53 AM   #9

Boxster Muffler

Well, I was going to use 2 of their smaller mufflers for my ride, but I'm actually in line to have them do the job at the Tech Center, hopefully before Christmas.

KRZ
Old 11-23-2005, 10:14 AM   #10

Wonder why you want to change the factory dyno tuned system.

mike
Old 11-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #11

I would like a nice new exhaust primarily for a sportier sound. I'm not kidding myself into thinking that there's power to be found.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #12

Dyno Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3

mike
Actually the factory does not Dyno tune the exhaust. OEM Exhaust is used explicitly for stopping interior resonance, and sound control which results in mufflers with baffles and louvers. Flow is the last thing on thier mind. There are some exceptions (Porsche as a manufacturer is not an exception, look at all their mufflers)

I do tip my cap to Nissan for tuning for a nice sound for the 350Z and G35 coupe. Mentioning that, while at Magnaflow the 350Z and Honda S2000 were the hardest vehicles to make power from. In fact Nismo came to MF to build their system, and ANY aftermarket exhaust for the S2000 WILL loose power, no questions. The systme MF built for the S2000 that actually made power turned out to be too expensive when complete.

KRZ
Old 11-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #13

Changing the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3

mike
I want the sound of the Boxer 6 felt in my seat while carving the canyons on the weekend. Sound bouncing off the walls when I drive by as people will be in envy of the true sound of a Porche while I rip past them. With no mufflers.

The OEM size is around 1 3/4. I will be going 2 inch max for tubing and no mufflers with a balance tube uniting the two banks. It really needs an X-Pipe but we're still working on that. Should it sound like ass, I'll throw on some really small MF mufflers.

Better flow, a little more HP, but I'm after the sound. By only going up to 2 inch I will not loose any power. Should I go up to 2.25 or larger I will loose low end torque.

KRZ
Old 11-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #14

Well, this is kind of neat! Of all the exhaust posts on all the boards I have yet to see an "exhaust insider" speak frankly of the Boxster exhaust. Please keep us all posted as to the outcome of your system as many people would be interested. Putting together a few compoinents to make a "custom exhaust" would be great for many people.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #15

Hi, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I was planning on buying the Borla, but based on what I'm reading here I'm not feeling very confident in that purchase. Can anyone recommend a system that will not fall apart, degrade performance -and add sound without adding harshness?

I know that maybe asking a lot, but there must be one system out of the pack that hits the mark?

Many thanks
Bob
04S
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSbob
Hi, and Happy Thanksgiving.

I was planning on buying the Borla, but based on what I'm reading here I'm not feeling very confident in that purchase. Can anyone recommend a system that will not fall apart, degrade performance -and add sound without adding harshness?

I know that maybe asking a lot, but there must be one system out of the pack that hits the mark?

Many thanks
Bob
04S
Wait to see the outcome of KRZTACOs' system. He seems to know what he's getting into and the results will be interesting. Better than blowing a bunch of money on a system that "claims 30+ HP just by bolting it on!". Sometimes putting together a couple of separate components works much better for sound, performance, and the wallet!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to shift26
I just got my Borla for my 01 S. I bolted it on last night. I drove it around last night and today and the sound is great. Nice and deep, but not resonating and annoying. I work in the aftermarket industry and I have dealt with many different brands in the past. I am very impressed with the overall quality of the system. The install was not to complex either. The hardest part was removing the stock system. There are a few bolts at the top which are a pain to get to. Once the stock system was off, the Borla bolted in to place perfectly. The setup looks clean and simple. The system also comes with a warranty for those that care.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I will try to take some pics and post them later.
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #18

hi, when you can please post pix, and if possible sound clips.

many thanks
bob

04S
Old 12-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to shift26
pics.... but no soundclips yet....

I'll try to get somee from under the car next time it is on a rack.
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #20

Hi, looks pretty cool. Also, looks like it should be lighter in weight than the stock unit?

Does it change the feel of the car any?