Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #1

Code P0133

Hi all,

I'm getting a consistent P0133 and have already replaced the passenger side pre cat 02 sensor. I can't get on a dura metric until next week for further diagnosis but does anyone have any other ideas from experience.

I searched but it seems that the 02 replacement works for most on this code.

Thank for your time!

smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #2

Garage
O2 sensor connector or wire issue??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Here's a good thread:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/50625-p0133-cel-code.html

Typically that code is from an old and failing O2 sensor.

The linked thread links to a good resource on o2 sensors, I recently replaced one; I got it from amazon
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Porsche P0133 OBD/DLC Error Code - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's guys! Well I was hoping replacing that sensor would do it for me but alas it hasn't.

I guess I could switch the pre cat 02's just to see if the code moves or not to rule out the new sensor but I am thinking that is highly unlikely.

I am not hearing any real exhaust leaks, and I am guessing that the MAF would show this type of error on both sides rather than on the one side only????

Well I get to hook it up to a durametric next week so I will report back on what we find.

Thanks again!
smcgeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
LEJ

On the way to a PCA breakfast this morning, my check engine light came on. When I go home, I whipped out the Durametric and had the same code. As I understand it, the car has (4) O2 sensors and each is identical. My car has 62, 150 miles and I figure if one O2 is failing then the rest will follow. I'm now looking for a set of (4) both on ebay and Amazon. When they arrive I'll put the car on my lift and change all 4 at once and be done with it.
LEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:57 PM   #7

This is an easy job so no need to replace all 4 O2 sensors at once.
Let the code tell you which sensor it is pointing to, replace it and rock on!

FWIW, I've replaced one 02 sensor (drivers side pre-cat). I've owned my car since 77K miles (2008) and now have 131K. I would get an occasional O2 code, clear it and it may stay off for many months. Code finally became more frequent about a year ago so I changed the offending O2 sensor...no more codes to date.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
LEJ

Thanks for the info. (FWIW as posted) It is "worth it" LOL

I cleared the code and tomorrow I"m driving to Chula Vista (south of San Diego) about 120 miles one way. Hopefully the Check engine light won't come on.

Now to another issue. Everyone is asking is it pre or post cat. I thought all 4 sensors were exactly the same and, are they 3 or 4 wire sensors?

thanks
Larry
Old 06-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post
Thanks for the info. (FWIW as posted) It is "worth it" LOL

I cleared the code and tomorrow I"m driving to Chula Vista (south of San Diego) about 120 miles one way. Hopefully the Check engine light won't come on.

Now to another issue. Everyone is asking is it pre or post cat. I thought all 4 sensors were exactly the same and, are they 3 or 4 wire sensors?

thanks
Larry
The best sensors to use will have a plug and play connector. Not sure if that means three or four wire. All 4 sensors are the same, but the computer will guide you to which sensors need attention. They are supposed to last 100k miles. Pre cat sensors seem to give up the ghost a little quicker. Here's Mike fockes site article on it. https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/oxygensensors
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
LEJ

thank you I'll read the link