Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2015, 02:27 AM   #21

Garage
X1/9? WOW! I had a 78 always lots of maintenance but a blast to drive!

Last edited by mikesz; 11-19-2015 at 05:14 AM.
mikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I was at a self serve gas station and some ahole barreled in and tapped my rear bumperettes. sad thing was he had no clue what he had done and there was no damage. but you know what? I still like the clean euro look without the bumperettes. Sick and tired of people trying to pass laws because the common USA citizen is to stupid to know what is going on around them. I took the bumperettes off and glad I did I like the look, its clean, if someone hits me I will fix/get a new bumper and put it back on. Not trying to start a riot on this forum but opinions are like ****************************s everybody has one and I don't care about yours!
You're not trying to start a riot...then why act like a ******* yourself? If you don't care about others opinions, that's fine. You don't have to be a ******* about it yourself. Just smile and nod and go about your day.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
here is what I did once I removed bumperettes.Thoughts?
How did you get that plastic to stick on the car? looks great. would really like to do that mod. thx
jjjohnnyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:37 AM   #24
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjohnnyq View Post
How did you get that plastic to stick on the car? looks great. would really like to do that mod. thx
I did the delete about a month ago. The plastic stays on by virtue of the license plate holder. Plastic part goes on... plate holder on top... the screws... it's secured.

my delete plate is 3mm thick, so I put some doubkle sided tape on the back... to help it adhere. Didn't work for me because of the slight curve of the bumper cover. I'm going to give it a second look today.

So... just a couple license plate bracket screws... you'll be set.

Edit: The plate in the pic from your post is the exact one I installed on mine. Thanks, again, Mikesz.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I did the delete about a month ago. The plastic stays on by virtue of the license plate holder. Plastic part goes on... plate holder on top... the screws... it's secured.

my delete plate is 3mm thick, so I put some doubkle sided tape on the back... to help it adhere. Didn't work for me because of the slight curve of the bumper cover. I'm going to give it a second look today.

So... just a couple license plate bracket screws... you'll be set.

Edit: The plate in the pic from your post is the exact one I installed on mine. Thanks, again, Mikesz.
Thanks for the info. Mine is going in next week and that back bumper has to come off for exhaust so I am going to get started. I am assuming those silver metal bumps that are hidden by the bumperettes just unscrew from the long metal " bumper " and leave the square area to be covered by the new back plate? Did you just cut out 3mm plastic to fit the opening? That might be a little above my pay grade , might have to have someone make it for me
jjjohnnyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:53 AM   #26
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjohnnyq View Post
Thanks for the info. Mine is going in next week and that back bumper has to come off for exhaust so I am going to get started. I am assuming those silver metal bumps that are hidden by the bumperettes just unscrew from the long metal " bumper " and leave the square area to be covered by the new back plate? Did you just cut out 3mm plastic to fit the opening? That might be a little above my pay grade , might have to have someone make it for me
Those silver metal bumps... that are hidden behind the plastic bumperatte covers... are affixed with rivets. I was going to drill them out... then learned that they can be pounded out. I took a nail punch and hammer... positioned on top of each respective rivet... gave a swift pound... and they popped right off.

The 3mm plastic delete panel I purchased from a member who had made his own outline then outsourcing the cutting of the actual plastic delete panel to a glass shop. I imagine you'd have to have a steady hand to draw and cutout a template.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #27

----------------------------------------------

Last edited by jaykay; 07-23-2020 at 09:01 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 AM   #28

I went euro bumper cover. Not cheap at all but it's done.

Consider going grilled and designing it such that it looks good. Black on back works to hide imperfections. You may have to repaint after cutting.....this is the main issue with this. You will have to get the beam behind the grill painted drilled out to make it look good and get cooling happening. Cutting down heat shield for air flow out is another task along with plate mounting
Old 07-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #29
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I went euro bumper cover. Not cheap at all but it's done.

Consider going grilled and designing it such that it looks good. Black on back works to hide imperfections. You may have to repaint after cutting.....this is the main issue with this. You will have to get the beam behind the grill painted drilled out to make it look good and get cooling happening. Cutting down heat shield for air flow out is another task along with plate mounting
The Euro bumper is the same as the US bumper with the exception of the cut outs to accomodate the bumperettes. The upside to having the "Euro" version is that you don't need the delete plate.

Now... if you want to do some cutting... some mesh... some cooling...

Figure out how to run two exhaust pipes side-by-side the license plate.