Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #1

Hard top

Hey guys
I recently purchased a 99 boxster which has been garaged most of the winter and Im going to look at a used hard top locally.
What parts should the top have to secure it to the car?
Basically Ive never seen a hard top for these cars and want to make sure that if I buy it I don't find out later I need to buy a bunch of other stuff like trim, panels, fasteners, etc.

Any info or input would be appreciated. Photos would be golden.

Thanks!

evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Garage
Best way to transport it is on your Box. Just go pick it up & have the owner help you install it. As O.J. say "if it doesn't fit you must quit".
Old 02-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Best way to transport it is on your Box. Just go pick it up & have the owner help you install it. As O.J. say "if it doesn't fit you must quit".
Yeah, were probably looking at like 6 inches of snow tomorrow, Mr. California.

Don't think Ill drive over there in the Boxster, IDK
Old 02-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

[QUOTE=evomind;388938]Yeah, were probably looking at like 6 inches of snow tomorrow, Mr. California.

That's hilarious, us California guys are completely out of touch with weather realities. School districts close for temps in the 20s. Highways are closed by wrecks if there is more than 1" of rain in a 24 hr period
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

I wonder if the top routes rain to the outside of the car or same as the soft top through the drains?

Speaking of rain, its been raining since Early Friday morning in CA and is supposed to go till Sunday. I didn't even think that was possible in SoCal.
It is a warm rain though and perhaps I should wash the Boxster in it as the tap water here is hard and requires towel drying to avoid water spots.

I drove the Box today but I think I'm going to have to Wrangler it the rest of the weekend.

Its good to have 2 cars of completely opposite Utility so you have something for every extreme

Oh oh....looks like the entire lower 48 except Texas/SoFL is going to feel this next storm
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 02-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #6

Hardtop install

You CANNOT transport it on your car safely unless you have the Spinlocks installed on your car. It may have them but probably not. Do some research on this forum. Spinlocks are available from a dealer but take some skill to install. If not transporting too far some have 'tied it on'. I have a hardtop and really like it, but you have to install it properly.
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

Make sure you're Boxster has the spin locks in place already. If not, you'll need to buy some before the top can be installed.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Registered Boxster abuser

Spin locks are not cheap and required for installation. I just sold my top, cover, stand, and spin locks this week. There are deals out there but sometimes you have to pay more to get the color you want.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #9

ok, what are spin locks and do we have a pic somewhere?
That's exactly why I posted the question... Cause I don't know what Im doing.
That said, the top is the same color as my car.

If the spin locks aren't with the top might they still be on the car?
Do you only have spin locks if you have a top or does every car come with them or does it come with the top?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The only way to realistically pickup a hardtop is with the car itself. Google '986 Spinlocks' to find them along with install instructions, it is very straightforward, about $100 for the spinlocks and two bolts.

I would however high recommend bringing a set of allen wrenches with you to adjust the top. Especially if you are traveling any significant distance to pick it up.

EDIT: Let me google that for you...

Last edited by rick3000; 02-28-2014 at 05:45 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

The owners manual for my 2001 devotes 3 pages to fitting the hardtop--how about yours?

What you are likely missing are the rear sockets into which the hardtop mounts. They're commonly called spin locks, but they in fact don't move. Rather, the latching levers are spun to lock. The sockets aren't factory fitted unless the car came from factory with hardtop and it's amost certain you won't get them with a used hardtop.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
ok, what are spin locks and do we have a pic somewhere?
That's exactly why I posted the question... Cause I don't know what Im doing.
That said, the top is the same color as my car.

If the spin locks aren't with the top might they still be on the car?
Do you only have spin locks if you have a top or does every car come with them or does it come with the top?
if the other car had a top on it it would have the spin locks on it. you have to remove the side trim panels behind the seats but it is just a single screw and one 8 mm bolt head that needs to be loosened to remove this panel. then you need a 5mm ball style Allen tool to remove the pinch bolt and spin lock.

These simple little parts cost as much as $130 but typically hover around the $100-$120 mark

edit I guess someone is proud of these little nuts

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=boxster+hardtop+install+kit&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xporsche+b oxster+hardtop+install+kit&_nkw=porsche+boxster+hardtop+install+kit&_sacat=0

Last edited by healthservices; 02-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #13

how to install or remove the spinlocks

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Hardtop and Installation Kit - 986 / 987
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #14

as it was said, its a easy job. Some will tell you to use plastic pelicule to hold the bolt and try fitting it tru small openning. Forget that, you will lose time, patient and maybe the bolt lol. Simply remove the carpeting panel as stated, very easy, and now you have much more space and way much easyier to bolt the spin lock.

20 min job and both side are done. You are then ready to pick up the top and fit it on. Very easy. I even put it by myself once. Will not do it again!! very risky to scrach paint. But to person is very easy.

good luck

later all
wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #15

Suncoast has got the best deal on the spin locks and the bolts at $95. They got some other accesories that goes with the top you might want (stand and cover for storage is a must have in my opinion). Don't forget some gummi pflege for the seals and wax for the paint were the seals touch. This keeps the rubber squeaks down when you go over a bump or driveway. I learned this the first time I put on the t and got an earful. The Boxster may be stiff for a roadster but the body still flexes.

Hardtop/Speedster Hump Spinlocks:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 PM   #16

thanks guys.
I might just tr0y to negotiate the price of the spin locks rather than mess with their car.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
thanks guys.
I might just tr0y to negotiate the price of the spin locks rather than mess with their car.
probably the easiest route. When I purchased my used hard top, i spent an hour trying to remove the spin locks from the seller's car. those bolts did not budge! they are allen bolts so you dont have much leverage unless you can get a socket with adapter in there. ended up just negotiating to cover the spin locks. i installed the top and secured the rear with rope and drove home nice and easy. the rear would move over large bumps but nothing major.

where in chicago are you? if u are in the western suburbs, we could pick up with my boxster. lmk.
Autobot152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot152 View Post
probably the easiest route. When I purchased my used hard top, i spent an hour trying to remove the spin locks from the seller's car. those bolts did not budge! they are allen bolts so you dont have much leverage unless you can get a socket with adapter in there. ended up just negotiating to cover the spin locks. i installed the top and secured the rear with rope and drove home nice and easy. the rear would move over large bumps but nothing major.

where in chicago are you? if u are in the western suburbs, we could pick up with my boxster. lmk.
Im in Downers Grove. Ill probably call them back Monday or Tuesday and see if theyre willing to deal.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #19

I checked out the hard top.
Seems to be in VGC inside and out.
The seller wants 1000 bucks without the spin locks and I just don't want it that bad. Id rather buy the sport suspension for 1k.
If anyone is interested in the top shoot me a PM or something and I will give you details on the seller. Its off a car they have for sale.
Ah, ill just list it, heck its on ebay.
Its at star motors in downers grove. I live 10 mins from them.
Thanks guys
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
$1k is a good price if it is the right color for your car. I paid $900, but most go for $1200-1500.