Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Garage
Tire Balance/Alignment Suggestions

Sorry for posting two threads in one day, but I'm trying to draw on some of the experience around here.

I'm looking to get a good tire balancing at least and was flirting with the idea of tacking on a front end alignment. I'm in the chicago area, I've got a great small indy shop, but they don't have an Aligment or balancing machine as they just work on the mechanical side.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to get into a dealership if only for the experience of looking at the new Porsches while mine is being taken care of. I sent an email request for an estimate on the cost of this and you would not believe the run around. One dealership's internet concierge sent me two requests for phone numbers as someone was working on my request and wanted to discuss it with me. I saw the constant phone calls for each service interval coming and responded that I only wanted an estimate on the service and didn't want a phone call and suddenly the once eager Internet Concierge has gone silent. Another dealership has yet to get back to me and I'm guessing that also means they don't want my business.

I looked at the local firestone place as they have the Hunter Roadforce that comes so highly recommended, but I'm really reluctant to let one of "those" guys near my Porsche, let alone allow them to road test it (I can only imagine what that would be like). I'm really at a loss of how to proceed. I suppose if no road test was needed I could stomach the Firestone experience, but I otherwise only want the car being touched by someone who knows loves and respects the cars like we all do. Open to suggestions if anyone has experience with the Chicago Area dealers or someone you'd advise to take it to for a good balance and possibly alignment. I've gotten no response from Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood and I've got the run around experience from Napleton Porsche in Westmont...any one have suggestions?

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #2

Garage
Napleton Porsche has a race team so they should be highly qualified.
Go to tirerack.com to check for recommended shops in your area.

Why are you wanting to have this work done? If your tires are wearing evenly, & the car goes straight when the steering wheel is straight, alignment won't do much for you.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3

I think any big tire dealer will have decent equipment and the skills to do an alignment etc. The Boxster's suspension isn't unique, really. I'd go with the tech on any test drive though. May I suggest a 4 wheel alignment...
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Garage
It's more the road force tire balancing I'm after. I'm pretty sure the stick on weights on my tires are gone as I get a semi noticable shimmy at higher speeds on flat slabs of road. Tire Balancing was the biggest suggestion for this issue, especially on the Hunter Road Force.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
It's more the road force tire balancing I'm after. I'm pretty sure the stick on weights on my tires are gone as I get a semi noticeable shimmy at higher speeds on flat slabs of road. Tire Balancing was the biggest suggestion for this issue, especially on the Hunter Road Force.
If the weights are gone anyplace with a wheel balancer can remedy that & alignment will have no effect at all. Make sure your front tire are set for 29psi @ 70 degrees & 35psi in the rear. If the car is new to you check the dates on the tires, if older than 4 years that could be a contributer to the issue.