Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 01:00 PM   #1

RMS pricing

Thought I'd share what I've found so far, price wise.

I have a slightly leaky RMS.

Called an independant shop...They quoted me $900 to do the RMS, and $650 more for the clutch kit if I wanted to do that at the same time. I asked about the various issues, and it was apparent he didn't know much about them, saying mainly that the seal used would be the latest available. Could have been that he just didn't want to chat about it.

Called Local Porsche Dealer. Nice guy in the svc dept, said it would be $450-500 for RMS, and again, just the price of the clutch kit.

I asked him about the chances the crank is out of round to the bore, like I've read on the net, and he said they see a few of those, but w/ it being a 2001, it probably just needs the seal. He intimated the bad ones are fixed early, and seemed pretty confident in that.

(Of course, I only have about 25K on the odo and didn't mention that.)

The $450-500 sounds good to me. I was plesantly suprised. (And then I thought, wait a minute, I'm replacing a major seal on an engine w/ 25k miles, $100 is too much.)

-James
'01 Boxster S

jamscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
bmussatti

jamscal, if you go to a Porsche dealer, you don't have too many options in the great state of Kentucky.

I assume that you got a price from the Blue Grass dealer in Louisville. Right? You may want to call the Lexington Porsche dealer (800-372-7174), just to price-check the Louisville quote, and as you know it is only about an hour away. It may be worth it!

FYI- the Blue Grass dealer is very-very new.

Sorry about your leak.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #3

Yes, I called the Louisville Dealer.

Bluegrass Motorsports Porsche, IIRC.

I don't think Lexington could beat the price enough to offset the two round trips I'd have to take.

Of course, an extra couple hours in the Boxster sounds good, but that's countered by two hours in an Accord with the wife and kids.

Thanks,

James
jamscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamscal
Yes, I called the Louisville Dealer.

Bluegrass Motorsports Porsche, IIRC.

I don't think Lexington could beat the price enough to offset the two round trips I'd have to take.

Of course, an extra couple hours in the Boxster sounds good, but that's countered by two hours in an Accord with the wife and kids.

Thanks,

James

Maybe they'll give you a Cayman loaner-car!!