Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #41

65 C is slightly warm, even for Cali.....

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
I have to say after watching a couple seasons of Lilyhammer on Netflix, the thought of moving to Norway has crossed my mind a couple times. Then the weather here in Cali goes back to 65 degrees C in February, and I remember I don't like the cold.
I moved to Norway from the Bay Area myself. Life is good here, but it sure is different. Living in the western part of the country, we have very mild winters, but if you have a good life there in Marin I would stay put for the weather alone. Have an ethnic confusion enchilada at Avatar's in Sausalito for me sometime if that restaurant still there.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #43

How are Norweigian ladies compared to SF women?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #44

Avatar's ethniconfusion cuisine is still alive and well. They have a location in Fairfax as well. I wonder if they do delivery... to Norway.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #45

I was going to say yes even before I clicked into the thread. Go for it.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #46
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
How are Norweigian ladies compared to SF women?
I married a Norwegian, so I may be slightly biased. That said, most middle-aged male tourists need to see their chiropractors after a norway visit from craning their necks checking out the "scenery."

Last edited by evan9eleven; 03-11-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #47
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
I was going to say yes even before I clicked into the thread. Go for it.
Seriously tempted! May go look at it this weekend, if I do its game over.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #48
2004 Boxster S

Ok, so back to the subject of the thread... The blue 911. Going to see it next weekend and I'd love some advice. The hard part: a PPI is going to be near impossible as the nearest qualified shop is a five hour round trip (!) away from the seller, who is a seven hour round trip from me in the other direction. On the upside, I'm thinking the following:

-The seller has been super with lots of information, pics, all receips for the motor rebuild and other work done. So I have documents for everything since this guy imported the car.

-The seller is a member of the Porsche Club, as am I. We are a small club in a small country, you can't hide here. Seller owns a 996 also, so he's still active in the club.

-Since its an imported US model, I ran a carfax which is clean and verifies the mileage. I have also spoken to the shop that has done all the work on the car here and they were very helpful with information about the work done. His forum posts also support everything he's told me.

-Since I can verify everything that the current owner has repaired and replaced, which is a lot of stuff, it seems like he already taken the major hits for repairs... not least a complete motor rebuild with everything, tires, brakes, caliper rebuilds and hoses, full stainless exhaust with headers, etc. (Read: he already did the major and expensive heavy lifting that a PPI might have revealed if he had done one.)

-His asking price is a bit above other SC's that are cosmetically nicer, but may not have the level of maintenace done to them. To its credit the car is 100% original, OEM Fuchs wheels, virtually rust free. Has a COA and matching numbers (need to verify.) The car has original paint and interior that need help and I see these items as bargaining chips on the price.

All opinions welcome as always.

Last edited by evan9eleven; 03-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Ok, so back to the subject of the thread... The blue 911. Going to see it next weekend and I'd love some advice. The hard part: a PPI is going to be near impossible as the nearest qualified shop is a five hour round trip (!) away from the seller, who is a seven hour round trip from me in the other direction. On the upside, I'm thinking the following:

-The seller has been super with lots of information, pics, all receips for the motor rebuild and other work done. So I have documents for everything since this guy imported the car.

-The seller is a member of the Porsche Club, as am I. We are a small club in a small country, you can't hide here. Seller owns a 996 also, so he's still active in the club.

-Since its an imported US model, I ran a carfax which is clean and verifies the mileage. I have also spoken to the shop that has done all the work on the car here and they were very helpful with information about the work done. His forum posts also support everything he's told me.

-Since I can verify everything that the current owner has repaired and replaced, which is a lot of stuff, it seems like he already taken the major hits for repairs... not least a complete motor rebuild with everything, tires, brakes, caliper rebuilds and hoses, full stainless exhaust with headers, etc. (Read: he already did the major and expensive heavy lifting that a PPI might have revealed if he had done one.)

-His asking price is a bit above other SC's that are cosmetically nicer, but may not have the level of maintenace done to them. To its credit the car is 100% original, OEM Fuchs wheels, virtually rust free. Has a COA and matching numbers (need to verify.) The car has original paint and interior that need help and I see these items as bargaining chips on the price.

All opinions welcome as always.

I think you answered your own question with the above highlighted areas, the costly heavy lifting as you put it has been done, enjoy the car.

P.S. I took my air cooled 911 out for a drive yesterday, I cannot see myself ever wanting for a different pleasure vehicle to drive around in, it is honestly that wonderful......Good Luck......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
I married a Norwegian, so I may be slightly biased. That said, most middle-aged male tourists need to see their chorpractors after a norway visit from craning their necks checking out the "scenery."
whenever someone says x country has the most beautiful women, I do a google image search for "x women" and see what the most viewed images are. It's an interesting method of seeing what people like looking at.

p.s.
What are your other SC options. And do you really want an SC or is just because this apparently nice example just happened to come along?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #51

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of corrosion yet.....

Looking, reading and inwardly digesting a number of UK magazines and Forums, the consensus seems to be the most expensive part of an older Northern European / North American car rebuild or resto is rust.....
Even with Porsche supposedly using "galvanised" steel spanels, anything exposed to salt and long winters for 35 years is a candidate for tin worm. Bogging & cover ups are rampant in the UK and the finest quality cutting, welding and painting of rusty areas in the kidney bowls, rocker panels, wheel arches, windscreen surrounds, etc can cost so much that the car becomes uneconomical to repair.

It may be wise to investigate what the owner has found and done regarding corrosion prevention in the car......
Old 03-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #52

About the only real weak spot on SC's is the head studs. If the shop has recently done a valve adjustment they would have noticed any broken head studs. Other than that they are pretty bulletproof. Go enjoy the test ride and report back. Good luck.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #53

As part of the engine rebuild did they put upgraded Carrera tensioners? The original tensioners are know failure point. Also, make sure the air box has a pop off alve installed. These old SCs can backfire and when they do they blow the air box. Replacement is not cheap and at this point in and where you live will be expensive and take the car off the road untilyou can get one. Beyond these two common issues the SCs are pretty bullet proof. I had one for a number of years and bought and sold it for $17k. This price was for a pristine example with beautiful Petrol Blue color. Wish I still had it.

What was interesting is for a time I had the 944S2 at the same time. The S2 was by far the better car in almost every aspect but to this day if I had to pick one it would the SC.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #54

I wonder if he googled "911 buyers remorse"?

Once your spoiled on a Boxster you Will have to accept a substitute in handling the turns.

Maybe "Nothing runs like a Deere" and "Porsche there is no substitute" but its also true that "Nothing turns like a Boxster"
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-02-2014 at 09:42 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post

"Nothing turns the stomach like a Boxster IMS death rattle"
Did you really say that jb?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #56

Quote:

Once your spoiled on a Boxster you Will have to accept a substitute in handling the turns.

Maybe "Nothing runs like a Deere" and "Porsche there is no substitute" but its also true that "Nothing turns like a Boxster"

LMAO!! That's too funny!
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #57
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I think you answered your own question with the above highlighted areas, the costly heavy lifting as you put it has been done, enjoy the car.
Well, It does need paint and an interior redo... but yeah, not so much stress about the mechanicals. From the pics the interior is fooked, and that won't be free to redo. I'll tear it out when I respray the car someday. I'm desperately hoping it looks better in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
p.s.
What are your other SC options. And do you really want an SC or is just because this apparently nice example just happened to come along?
I have a weird, charmed fascination with the SC's. I've never even driven one, and the closest comparison I have is driving my Dad's US-model '86 Carrera 3.2. But these are the aircooled cars that are still affordable, and all are 30+ years old = cheap road tax, registration, and insurance breaks big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of corrosion yet.....
Owner thinks its never seen salt but I doubt he knows for sure. However, in spite of the car having lived all over the US before landing in Norway he says its 99.3% rust free. Some surface rust in the spare tire area, and a couple ugly rock chips and thats it. I'll be checking myself when I see the car, as well as sending it to a PPI if everything looks worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
About the only real weak spot on SC's is the head studs. If the shop has recently done a valve adjustment they would have noticed any broken head studs. Other than that they are pretty bulletproof. Go enjoy the test ride and report back. Good luck.
Newly rebuilt motor with everything... all 24 replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
As part of the engine rebuild did they put upgraded Carrera tensioners? The original tensioners are know failure point. Also, make sure the air box has a pop off alve installed. These old SCs can backfire and when they do they blow the air box. Replacement is not cheap and at this point in and where you live will be expensive and take the car off the road untilyou can get one. Beyond these two common issues the SCs are pretty bullet proof. I had one for a number of years and bought and sold it for $17k. This price was for a pristine example with beautiful Petrol Blue color. Wish I still had it.

What was interesting is for a time I had the 944S2 at the same time. The S2 was by far the better car in almost every aspect but to this day if I had to pick one it would the SC.
Thanks for that. The 3.2 chain tensioners have been done. Airbox is an unknown, but the shop that rebuilt the motor is top notch, so I'll bet they checked. Will ask.

Quote:

Wow, I can't believe that it took this long for someone to bring up this comparison. Fair enough, its the Boxster forum. So let me put it like this: my awesome, low-mileage Box S lives where the sun shines 300 days a year. That means every time I drive it I can grin ear to ear with the top down. The 911, if I buy it, will be my other Porsche. I win.

e

Last edited by evan9eleven; 03-11-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #58

The pop off is a easy retro fit so if it does not have it no big deal. I think it cost me years ago about $100 for the parts and install.

Sounds like you well eventually need and interior and body/paint guy. Rust should easy to spot but you will want to get need the car to confirm. I really doubt the owner would have done the mechanical work if the body had serious rust issues.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #59

"Owner thinks its never seen salt but I doubt he knows for sure. However, in spite of the car having lived all over the US before landing in Norway he says its 99.3% rust free. Some surface rust in the spare tire area, and a couple ugly rock chips and thats it. I'll be checking myself when I see the car, as well as sending it to a PPI if everything looks worth it."

I don't know the SCs well enough to comment on where to look, but I'd definitely be thorough with the rust inspection. Look under the battery, around all door, window, hood seals, inside the wheel wells, under-body, etc.

Yes, the SCs were far more rust-proofed than early 911s, but this car is old. It may have had some structural work that compromised some of the rust proofing. Be thorough and trust your gut.

Based upon what you say about the interior and the worn paint, I'd go in expecting to be able to negotiate him down quite a bit, especially if the interior is borderline on being functional (i.e. really worn seats, broken levers, etc.). Keep us posted!
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #60
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
The pop off is a easy retro fit so if it does not have it no big deal. I think it cost me years ago about $100 for the parts and install.

Sounds like you well eventually need and interior and body/paint guy. Rust should easy to spot but you will want to get need the car to confirm. I really doubt the owner would have done the mechanical work if the body had serious rust issues.
I should hope not, he's put more into the car in two years then you guys stateside would pay for a near perfect SC. I have a great indi shop that can do the whole resto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
"Owner thinks its never seen salt but I doubt he knows for sure. However, in spite of the car having lived all over the US before landing in Norway he says its 99.3% rust free. Some surface rust in the spare tire area, and a couple ugly rock chips and thats it. I'll be checking myself when I see the car, as well as sending it to a PPI if everything looks worth it."

I don't know the SCs well enough to comment on where to look, but I'd definitely be thorough with the rust inspection. Look under the battery, around all door, window, hood seals, inside the wheel wells, under-body, etc.

Yes, the SCs were far more rust-proofed than early 911s, but this car is old. It may have had some structural work that compromised some of the rust proofing. Be thorough and trust your gut.

Based upon what you say about the interior and the worn paint, I'd go in expecting to be able to negotiate him down quite a bit, especially if the interior is borderline on being functional (i.e. really worn seats, broken levers, etc.). Keep us posted!
Pretty sure the function is there but cosmetically the car has seen a lot of sun and looks the part according to owner. He's asking way too much for the condition of the car in the current market, and I'm going to have to give him a reality check before offering him a check. On the plus side, if he'll negotiate I'll hopefully get a solid car with a rebuilt motor that I can really redo nicely.