Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Garage
Smile The First 48

"The First 48"
No, not the TV show, here's to my first 48 days of boxster ownership!

Lloyd floor mats
Painted bumperettes
Painted bumper plugs
Painted driver side key hold plug
Painted roll bar covers
Replaced missing wind deflector glass
Replaced cracked fuel sender unit
Replace pollen filter
Complete restoration of both keys
RSS underdrive pulley and belt
M2 muffler
Fabspeed secondary catalytic delete pipes
LED bulbs throughout cabin and boots
LED license plate bulbs
LED tail light assemblies (clear)
LED center tail light (clear)
LED side marker assemblies (clear)
Desnorkel
Bosh frameless wiper blades
Porsche valve stem covers
Oil change (Joe Gibbs)
LN Spin-on oil adapter
MaxJack car lift
70% VLT on all windows (including windshield)
Airbag deactivation switch for child seat
Sun visor delete
Complete and intense interior cleaning and detail

Added over 3,000 miles of pure enjoyment! I'm having a blast - I feel like I am 16 again when driving was super fun, no matter what the destination is! (: Does this fun wear off over time? BTW- I did the cat delete, muffler install and underdrive pulley all at once - very discernable power difference!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Garage
Great post
No, the fun does not wear off over time.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Nice post indeed. Never seen the Max Jack setup out side. Nice option. How is the exhaust?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #4

Get it on Scott, way to go Oakdale dude.

Did you have someone (who did you use?) paint the bumperettes or did you diy? If they treated you right, I may have some work I'd like them to do for me as well.

Looks good and it looks like you have put a few bucks into the sled.

And nice MaxLift, I'm jealous

Also, did you have any fitment issues with the M2 exhaust, I read that some people have real problems trying to get things to line up correctly?

Last edited by Slate 01; 02-22-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
Nice post indeed. Never seen the Max Jack setup out side. Nice option. How is the exhaust?
When I start on a cold morning and can see the exhaust, when parked idling it appears to project much further than before which makes me think removing the cats and the new muffler has increased flow.

For sound I'm a little disappointed - I think it sounds a bit ricer, I wish it was a deeper sound, but perhaps that's how this engine sounds? It's better than the stock sound for sure, but it taking 1st and 2nd gear to 5k RPMs quickly does remind me of a rice rocket sound :/
Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Get it on Scott, way to go Oakdale dude.

Did you have someone (who did you use?) paint the bumperettes or did you diy? If they treated you right, I may have some work I'd like them to do for me as well.

Looks good and it looks like you have put a few bucks into the sled.

And nice MaxLift, I'm jealous

Also, did you have any fitment issues with the M2 exhaust, I read that some people have real problems trying to get things to line up correctly?
After comparing the cost to DIY the rear bumperettes the right way there wasn't much cost savings after buying all the junk you need compared to getting them pro done from bumperplugs.com

I was happy with the quality of their work, plus I ordered the front license plate plugs and the driver door keyhole plug, looks much better IMO.

Zero problems fitting the exhaust stuff (M2 and fabspeed). The biggest challenge was removing the stock muffler with the bumper still attached- there are two bolts on the top connected to the transmission mount. Once you get the nuts off it takes a bit of persuasion to tip the muffler out- I had to firmly press and flex the top bar of the muffler where the top two bolts are attached away from the transmission mount to get the bolt shanks to come completely out if the mounting holes. Hard to explain if you haven't done the job but if you're in the middle of doing the work this will make sense! but then adding in the m2 was cake. It's so much smaller and lightweight.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.

If I have trouble with the getting the old one out I'll drive over to your house, lol. I think we live about 4 miles from each other. I'm up behind the Golf Course.

Bumperettes look like a job for a professional, I watched some videos on painting plastics, looks easy but I would hate to get a crappy look over such a small but noticeable item(s). I might go to a local body shop and have bumperettes and a two small spots refinished (I don't think anyone else can see them but I can and it drives me crazy).

Thanks, again. See ya around town, look for a Metallic Slate Grey, not too many of those around.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Garage
When I was in grade school we lived on Deo Gloria near the golf course! Yeah, close indeed. I'm moving to Austria in three weeks for 9 months or so.. Kinda bummed I'm going to miss summer with the new box and all but oh well.

The bumperettes make a huge difference, one of those detail things that really adds a nice touch. Hope to see you around town!
Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #9

Garage
Keyhole plug. Hmmm, what happens if the battery dies when the car is locked? I use my non-remote key for when I go to the beach since it can get wet.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
When I was in grade school we lived on Deo Gloria near the golf course! Yeah, close indeed. I'm moving to Austria in three weeks for 9 months or so.. Kinda bummed I'm going to miss summer with the new box and all but oh well.

The bumperettes make a huge difference, one of those detail things that really adds a nice touch. Hope to see you around town!
Small world, I live just off Dillwood.

So you buy a Boxster and get it all geeked and now you have to put in the garage for 9 months, that just sucks. At least you get to go to the beautiful land of Austria, so much to see and do all thru that country and the surrounding countries. Enjoy and drop that Maxlift off at my house for safe keeping before you go.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Keyhole plug. Hmmm, what happens if the battery dies when the car is locked? I use my non-remote key for when I go to the beach since it can get wet.
Well I don't plan on the battery going dead, but if it does the keyhole plug just pulls out! And when I go to the beach I just hand the keys to the valet!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Small world, I live just off Dillwood.

So you buy a Boxster and get it all geeked and now you have to put in the garage for 9 months, that just sucks. At least you get to go to the beautiful land of Austria, so much to see and do all thru that country and the surrounding countries. Enjoy and drop that Maxlift off at my house for safe keeping before you go.
I know I know - I'm really going to miss the box while I'm gone. It was actually my visit to Austria last year that inspired my box purchase. I had driven automatics my whole life and there drove an Alfa diesel 6 speed- it was a blast! When I came back I wanted something that was: 2 seats, 6 speeds, and fun to drive. Research lead me to this forum and that's why I bought a box!

Oh wow, a Maxlift sitter - thanks for the offer! Someone to watch over it.. awesome!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #13

Scott, take a look at your Private Messages, it will speak for itself. Let me put it this way, my wife knows your wife, they are in the same women's group at the Schonhoff's house on Wednesday nights. REally small world.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #14

Wow! The car looks great and, now, I just found a bunch of stuff to add to my checklist for my 2000 S (thanks!). Do you have a recommended source for the LED interior, license plate and side-marker lights? I love that look.
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #15

DIY on removing 986 bumperettes

Can anyone tell me how to actually remove the bumperettes on my 2001 boxster? I removed the allen-head bolt but can't actually get the bumperette off, even though it is quite loose and seems like it should just fall off. HELP

Never mind, just need to give them a little more of a tug, now I can proceed with painting as soon as supplies arrive.

Last edited by Slate 01; 02-27-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #16

Ordered my M2 Muffler on ebay yesterday, you inspired me Scott. Got it for $270 delivered, put it on first and then maybe see if I want the cat delete pipes in the future. I'm a little concerned about passing emissions in Cali with the rear cats deleted. Anyone have experience, in Cali, with this issue?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
Wow! The car looks great and, now, I just found a bunch of stuff to add to my checklist for my 2000 S (thanks!). Do you have a recommended source for the LED interior, license plate and side-marker lights? I love that look.
Thanks! (:

For the LEDs here's some of my posts:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50308-clear-led-sidemarker-lights.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50323-led-license-plate-bulbs.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50445-depo-tail-lights-dual-reverse-lamps-led-turn-signals.html

For the interior LEDs I picked up the Suncoast kit- it's great but a bit more expensive than if you purchased them separately. What's nice about the suncoast kit is they're all just the right level of white (not too yellow/blue).

You can get the suncoast kit here.

Hope that helps, welcome to the forum!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Ordered my M2 Muffler on ebay yesterday, you inspired me Scott. Got it for $270 delivered, put it on first and then maybe see if I want the cat delete pipes in the future. I'm a little concerned about passing emissions in Cali with the rear cats deleted. Anyone have experience, in Cali, with this issue?
Few things with the cat deletes - not only will it reduce weight and increase flow but combined with the M2 exhaust it will get rid of the drone sub-3,000 RPM range. Someone on here said they passed CA smog with the second cats gone. Your emission specs should still be good enough, you still have the O2 sensors, and you'll most likely pass visual in that the technician would have to know the box has 4 cats to realize that something has changed.

Anyhow - I'm taking off really soon, but you're welcomed to come over and use the lift sometime before I go.. I could give you a hand too, getting that muffler swapped should go quickly.

PS- check your private messages, those things are so easy to miss!

Take care,
`S

Last edited by scottvd; 02-28-2014 at 09:58 PM.
scottvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #19

Love the diagram!

And the Boxster fun will never wear off! It is pure bliss!

06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote