Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #1

Weird Suspension

Bought my car used. The RoW M030 suspension was put on prior to my purchase. Every part was replaced. Front sway bar, rear sway bar, front struts, rear struts, front springs, rear springs, front strut stops, front strut top plates, front strut bearings, front strut bearing rings, adjustable drop links.

The front suspension on this car is pretty noisy. At low speeds and sharp turns there is a lot of creaking. When I first take the car out (the cold may have something to do with this) and take the turn out of my drive way (a sharp left) the steering wheel and front suspension are essentially knocking. After a few more turns that knocking is gone but the creaking remains.

All these symptoms are at low speeds. Never anything at anything above 30mph. Thoughts? Suspension was replaced 4k Miles ago. Bought the car with 47,xxx and it now has 49,910 miles.

Interesting note: One time when I made the left out of my driveway it made the knocking noises and it caused my steering angle to be off (when driving straight the steering wheel was pointed at 10 o'clock.

Luckily I work at a body shop and as soon as I got to work I put it up on the alignment rack and had the mechanic take a look. It was fairly out of alignment, we put it to factory spec and the steering angle was corrected. With that said as we were under the car we could not find anything that would have caused this problem. I am getting confused. Thoughts?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:41 AM   #2

Garage
i am on a original suspension and have a similar odd creak when the car is first moving at slow speeds and right after i start it up but mine comes from the rear... no idea what it could be though.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #3

I had a horrible creaking show-up after installing ROW M030 and had the alignment guy listen while I turned the steering wheel. It was a lower control arm ball joint. He squirted some lube in with a needle and it's been silent ever since. I read here in previous posts that the tie-rod ends and ball joints can dry out. Try it, it's a cheap fix!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #4

Garage
Also try taking the caps off the sway bar bushing swing the bar down slide the bushing over and add some lube where they normally ride. Then around the outside and assemble them again.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I had a horrible creaking show-up after installing ROW M030 and had the alignment guy listen while I turned the steering wheel. It was a lower control arm ball joint. He squirted some lube in with a needle and it's been silent ever since. I read here in previous posts that the tie-rod ends and ball joints can dry out. Try it, it's a cheap fix!
Tie rods were good when we looked but I will look into the control arms. I appreciate the feed back guys.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #6

Any other thoughts on this?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
Old 02-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Registered Boxster abuser

Basically the tie rod ends and the ball joints are sealed. if they dry up you can poke a pin hole in the dust boot to squirt some wd40 in. The WD40 is a temp fix and just used as a diagnoses tool. If the squeak goes away or changes, replace that arm or joint.

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote