Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #1

Before and after

Tonight i installed the 997 shifter and pulled out the short shifter. Funny thing was that the nuts on either side of the short shifter had come off. I replaced the shifter with the 997 shifter and it feels good the slop is easier to drive with. The thing i liked about the short shifter was you really felt it lock in gear.

I replaced the parking brake with this wood brake i found on ebay for 99$. Now im questioning whether to pay 300 and get a matching shifter or reupholster my old ebrake and sell the wood one. The nut under the brake was a pain to tighten and remove.

Finally i replaced the center console. I don't remember this job being so difficult in my boxster. Two mistakes i made were not connecting the alarm to the arm rest cover and not filing down the plastic near the brake. Needless to say it has already scraped it. Ill need to get some leather dye to repair it. Ill connect the alarm when i upgrade the nav to an avic z140 and run the ipod cable down the center console.

What do you guys think of the wood? Should i get a matching shifter or revert back to plain leather with the possibility of someday going full carbon. I will never really buy any more wood parts as its just not a look that i like, but i dont mind it in the hand brake and shifter. Anyway here are the pics.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ckrikos; 02-08-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #2

Wood belongs is a Bentley.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #3

I personally liked the interior better stock, it looked cleaner and less busy imo.

I have a light grey interior also and gave some thought to the Rootwood shifter and E-brake handle also a couple of years back, decided to stick with what I had and upgrade the shifter to a weighted C4 unit with an aluminum pattern insert. The wood handle / shifter look great in some interiors but not in our colors, for me less is more.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:42 AM   #4

Before and after

Yeah, not sure I care for the wood. I actually wish that the Porsche grey interior was darker as it's slightly too light for my taste
What about a contrasting shift boot and ebrake boot from redlinegoods or topgaiters?

Last edited by jeffm; 02-09-2014 at 05:45 AM.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #5

I like the wood brake handle. Would probably look better with wood on the shifter, steering wheel, and that thin line of dash trim above the glove box to compliment it..

Sorry, but I think that painted console looks completely out of place and garish in that interior, but that's just my taste.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 AM   #6

I may do the wood on the shifter but nowhere else. I picked up this hand brake becsuse it was cheap i wanted to see if i could get away with not spending much.

The console i like, its a lot darker in person, the picture was taken with an 1000w spotlight providing interior lighting.

I want to get the weighted shifter next but but am deciding which to get. What I dont like about the wood is it adds another color into the cabin. If i decide on not getting a wood shifter then i need to spend 1k on a leather aluminum handbrake shifter or carbon aluminum.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I may do the wood on the shifter but nowhere else. I picked up this hand brake becsuse it was cheap i wanted to see if i could get away with not spending much.

The console i like, its a lot darker in person, the picture was taken with an 1000w spotlight providing interior lighting.

I want to get the weighted shifter next but but am deciding which to get. What I dont like about the wood is it adds another color into the cabin. If i decide on not getting a wood shifter then i need to spend 1k on a leather aluminum handbrake shifter or carbon aluminum.

I have a completely different series of 911 than you, a 993. On my car's series the weighted shifters came on Turbo's and S's, my car is a low optioned C2 which came with a rubber / plastic shifter body covered with the leather boot. The weighted shifters had a cast metal body covered in leather, they have much more of a heft feeling to them.

What is available for the 996 series when it comes to weighted shifters I have no idea, but since yours is a Turbo my guess is that it already has the upgraded shifter short of wood or CF.

If I were you I'd poke around this forum for ideas:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-turbo-forum-61/
Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #8

The stock shifter is the same as what came with my boxster.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 02-09-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #9

I think I'm with the other guys. I like the stock look better than the wood and blue console. With that said the console looks good with the door open when you can compare the blue paint to it. I think the wood handle would probably look better with the wood shifter. Overall though it does not look bad.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
The stock shifter is the same that came on my boxster.

Damn......No wonder the 911 guys were so pissed at Porsche.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

There was a 996TT for sale locally here that I was quite tempted by. It was Seal Grey exterior with a light grey interior. It had the full suite of factory carbon fiber options. The two-tone nature of the carbon fiber looked great and it sort of blended the exterior and interior colors. These aren't the same car, but it will give you an idea of the carbon fiber and light grey combo:

I age 99% I'd never put wood inside a Porsche. The lone 1% would be for a wood steering wheel in a 356. Then it was appropriate, now it is just a perversion of nature and makes it look like a grandma car.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #12

I'd paint the wood blue to match the console.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
There was a 996TT for sale locally here that I was quite tempted by. It was Seal Grey exterior with a light grey interior. It had the full suite of factory carbon fiber options. The two-tone nature of the carbon fiber looked great and it sort of blended the exterior and interior colors. These aren't the same car, but it will give you an idea of the carbon fiber and light grey combo:

I age 99% I'd never put wood inside a Porsche. The lone 1% would be for a wood steering wheel in a 356. Then it was appropriate, now it is just a perversion of nature and makes it look like a grandma car.
I just sold some 996 TT wheels and tires to a guy who recently purchased an '01 996 TT with the Carbon Fiber interior option. He said the outer vent CF covers were peeling and that he had priced out replacements......$600 for 2 vents.....DAMN!!
Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
I just sold some 996 TT wheels and tires to a guy who recently purchased an '01 996 TT with the Carbon Fiber interior option. He said the outer vent CF covers were peeling and that he had priced out replacements......$600 for 2 vents.....DAMN!!
Yeah, the CF extras are crazy expensive. I'm more a fan of the 'some' CF look (bottom picture) than the 'all' CF look (top picture). Either way it is a slippery slope of spending money on bits that don't make the car perform any better.

Stock is good too. My preference without money factoring in would be

Some CF > All CF > Stock Grey > Wood Trim

To each their own though. S&B's suggestion of painting the wood bit to match the blue of the console is a good one too. That's just starting down the entirely customer-look route.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #15

Thats why i was trying to stay away from the cf. Here is a pic in normal lighting.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #16

Perhaps work some more exterior color in then. Blue paint over the wood e-brake handle (or in place of). Blue paint on the dash strips and key rosset. Possibly the horseshoe center console trim (though I'd rather leave it black).

Examples:

Still it begs the question do you want to stick to OEM or go custom? Either way, you have a beautiful P-car. Enjoy it!
Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #17

Im not a big fan of coloring other interior parts blue. I want the cf but dont want to commit 3k to a full setup. I decided im just going to get a matching wood shifter and call it a day.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #18

WTF is that thing, definitely not a Nine Eight Six.