Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

How long is a yellow light??

What's the formula?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #2

Garage
Varies with the speed on the street and the traffic accumulation. Determined by the initial traffic study. In our area they change based on the time of day.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #3

Garage
My brother got a ticket for running a red light- his good friend was a CHP and timed the light, he determined the yellow was too short, wrote an affidavit and my brother got the ticket dismissed. This was circa 1988.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #4

Garage
Depends on whether or not there is a traffic enforcement camera. When they install the camera they shorten the yellow light time.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Around northern Illinois, a yellow means "step on it" and who cares about the red.

Do not pull into the intersection until you are certain all other traffic has stopped.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Same as the width
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #7

Garage
Being a transplant from Europe I was always surprised by the US drivers attitude towards a yellow light. In Europe a yellow light means 'red light imminent, attempt to stop if it is safe to do so'. In the US a yellow light seems to mean 'last chance to beat the imminent red light'.
I'm living close to a parkway and 90% of the (frequent) accidents are caused by people jumping the red light and being hit by people who start drag racing when the light turns green. It is so insane that I've had people accelerating around me over the left turn lane when I was braking for a yellow light. With the obvious risk of sounding like an old fart I'd like to state that traffic light and stop signs are there to give everyone a chance to cross an intersection safely. Yeah, yeah, we're all experienced and good drivers, but not everyone is.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #8

Don't you just hate it when you decide to go for the yellow light and start putting your foot into it, but the guy in front of you chickens out and brakes?