Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 AM   #1

Garage
why are all these people buying Porsches?

I just finished a 2,000 plus mile drive covering 6 states in as many days. During the entire drive, other than the ones we were driving, we saw 2 Porsches, one on the road and one in a carport. I know they are out there, but why aren't they being driven? Is everyone buying them for a status symbol or what? One of the very most fun cars to drive on the planet and they are sitting in garages. I currently own 3 and log close to 50K per year on them. I just cannot imagine owning one and not driving it. Like being married to a super model and not......well you know.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
I totally agree with you Mountainman. I believe a lot of folks here do not drive their P cars for two reasons.
1. They get salt on them and are afraid of them getting rusty.
2. Perhaps a greater chance of an accident in the winter weather.

I did however see a newish 911 Turbo being driven in slush the other day. I was quite surprised. When I drive my Boxster around I very seldom see Porsches in winter in this city of a million people.

Even going to Palm Springs Ca. recently I hardly saw any. I am on my third winter of driving my Boxster and I would say it is holding up well except for a few rock chips on the front. I try not to think what is being done to the underside and suspension but at least it gets driven regularly.
This is an example of salt and crud on the car before a carwash!
Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

My (almost "mint") 98 Boxster is my second car and it stays inside, waxed, spotless and covered when I'm not driving it. When I DO drive it the sun is always shining. So, living in Chicago the car stays inside for at least 4 months a year. I typically drive it about 5,000 miles a year and hope to keep it for at least another 10 years ...... LOL, it will be an "antique" by then....LOL.

I'm fortunate to have a nice choice of "toys" to play with in the nice weather....Boxster, motorcycle & airplane......I know I'm fortunate ..... but I'm also a "clean freak" so I spend a lot of time cleaning, maintainiing, and waxing....lol...lots of surface area.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 AM   #4

Garage
We have noticed the scarsity of them on the road all times of the year and all types of weather. My wife thinks it is noteworthy any time we see one being driven
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM   #5

They are a dime a dozen here. In my previous gated community (not nearly as fancy as it sounds but definitely way over-priced space wise) I counted four Boxsters, a Cayman, three Cayennes and one 968. We're talking about three square blocks at most. Just down the corner there was another Boxster and a few blocks in the other direction a 997 Turbo.

Whenver I want to remind myself of just how many water-cooled Porsches there are for sale right now I log onto Autotrader and search for 1999-2013 Porsche. On Carreras alone the volume is staggering. Then you toss in all the Boxsters/Caymans, Panas and Cayennes on top of that with plans for a new Maccan as well? Unbelieveable. Yet most buyers won't touch any of them. LOL
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

I see dozens if not hundreds of P cars, most late model, every day. I do of course live in their largest US market. You could move here if you're feeling lonely?!
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleski View Post
I see dozens if not hundreds of P cars, most late model, every day. I do of course live in their largest US market. You could move here if you're feeling lonely?!
Trade the north Carolina mountain roads for city traffic? Tempting, but I don't think so.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Trade the north Carolina mountain roads for city traffic? Tempting, but I don't think so.
Don't forget toxic Chinese pollution blowing over. We know about that here.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #9

My car's special to me. I don't even drive it in the rain- I have another vehicle for that. My Porsche is special to me and I enjoy it more by saving it for pleasure-only, perfect weather drives. I like it to be clean and perfect- a prized possession. Sacred, not mundane....
Old 01-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #10

Garage
I see many panameras here in South Carolina assuming because engineers love them, as for boxsters I will see 3 while out at most.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #11

My car is special to me. It's the only means I have to travel multiple miles.
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #12

I'll see a different Cayenne every day. Saw an 03 Boxster yesterday. Between spring and fall I see lots of 911s. There's even a clone of Punkin running around OMA. But only 1 Signal Green Cayman.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

In my neck of the woods I see more Porsche and Tesla than Accords.
The real "exotic" cars here are Pontiacs and Mercurys
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I agree, I see them everywhere in LA. Almost every weekend there is a Porsche cars and coffee meeting somewhere nearby if you're lonely.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:43 AM   #15

Last summer I drove from Ohio to California and back. I crossed IN, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, WY, NE, IA, and IL. I saw a total of one, yes, one Porsche on the highway, a beautiful 356.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 AM   #16
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Mine came from LA. Long Beach to be exact. Owner must have been way east side. Hood and windshield and lights were like sand blasted.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman View Post
Last summer I drove from Ohio to California and back. I crossed IN, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, WY, NE, IA, and IL. I saw a total of one, yes, one Porsche on the highway, a beautiful 356.
Good to hear that someone drives his car... and does not just own a museum piece that sits in a garage.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
My car is special to me. It's the only means I have to travel multiple miles.
I agree, although mine is not my only means of transportation, It's my primary DD.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

Garage
Wimp here.

I bought the Boxster as a third car. The SO is not impressed, given the two bikes in the garage (heated shed for I built for them for winter), so I want to extend it's life as far as possible with reasonable use, as I may not get the excuse to buy another. My RX-8 was a daily drive, and an absolute blast in winter, but I decided to keep the Porsche for a March to November car. Mainly for days when it is not suitable for one of the bikes. Given that will mean rain trips, I know I will have to learn to love washing it.
TripleTrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #20

Garage
actually ran into a guy with a kit (sadly) 356 speedster today, was still an absolute beauty loved seeing the car.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote