Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Would You Buy A Tracked Boxster?
Yes, without hesitation 1 4.00%
Yes, but only after careful examination/PPI 9 36.00%
Maybe, I'd consider it but not my 1st choice 9 36.00%
No, I'd never buy it 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Would You Buy a Car That Has Been Tracked?

Would you buy a used Boxster (stock and good condition) where the owner openly admitted to taking the car to the track occasionally (2-3 times a year) for DE's?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
My car when purchased was disclosed as having been driven on the track and on spirited drives in our region. Based on my inspection of the engine, fluids, body structure (frame, wheels, panels and interior) and the quality of the test drive (70 miles) I had no problem purchasing my car.

Note: I had every intention of going through this car and returning it to as close to new as I could and I simply wanted to make sure I had strong bones to work with. If this was to have been a car that I take and drive as is with no real in depth work...no, I would not have purchased it.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Nope. For the simple fact that there are a metric ton of garage queens out there with just enough miles to still be solid.

Now if there were a shortage of water-cooled Porsches (hypothetically), I'd really have to know the mechanic or shop that worked on the car.

If we were talking GT3's, that's a different story altogether. Over heating ( and head-cracking?) on "street engine" Porsches would be a concern for me. Point being If the stints are too long it makes me wonder, unlike GT3's, the street versions of all water-cooled Porsches engines will run very close to the limit. So a leak down/compression would be a critical PPI point.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-21-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #4

Better than buying a car that sits.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

As long as the car did not do any serious off roading (spun off) and is well taken care of... no problem
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
If I knew the car's history and it was immaculately serviced and maintained? Absolutely. No better car than one that has had all the bugs worked out and every fluid, nut and bolt has been checked and replaced before it was needed.

A tracked car that has been neglected or abused, leaks fluids, burns oil, feels loose on the road due to deferred maintenance? No thanks.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #7

No over revs. That can be a serious problem if happened on the track. Not a unreasonable amount of road chips. Suspension etc all in good shape. Fluids changes done like the brakes. Then I might consider. Tracked cars are usually well taken care of.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #8

Garage
I would wager that most cars that are tracked are better maintained than those that aren't. It's simply unsafe to have a poorly maintained car out on the racetrack, and many if not all PCA regions require a "mini-PPI" every year before they let you come out to a DE. Performance issues are also likewise dealt with promptly, as they will cause slower laptimes.

Yes, they're probably run harder than the average garage queen, but with a proper PPI, there's really no reason to not buy one, IMO.

pharaohjb is offline   Reply With Quote