Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #1

Garage
Nasty leather

Can't wait to see what Johnny Danger will do with this title!

The front side leather over the roll bars looks like the rest of the leather in the car, but the piece between the two roll bars is awkwardly stained yellow nastyness. It looks like it was stored in the lungs of a smoker for a year or something. I tried cleaning this will 303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant but that didn't seem to make any difference. What's most peculiar to me is that this piece is the only thing affected - why not the leather pieces right next to it as well? Maybe it was replaced? Anyhow - what's the fix for this, can I leather dye over it? Totally a noobie at treating leather - thanks in advance!

Old 01-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #2

303 Aerospace is not a cleaner, it is a protectant. Start with something from Meguiars that is labelled as a "Leather Cleaner". I would also try Simple Green, that stuff has worked for me on everything I've tried it on. If not luck there I've used products from these people to redye leather with excellent results:

:: Color Plus ::
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
303 Aerospace is not a cleaner, it is a protectant. Start with something from Meguiars that is labelled as a "Leather Cleaner". I would also try Simple Green, that stuff has worked for me on everything I've tried it on. If not luck there I've used products from these people to redye leather with excellent results:

:: Color Plus ::
Thx for the input - Simple Green says no no to leather, swede, etc. though.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvd View Post
Oops....been using it on my DD's for 20 years without issue. My method (before going to Color Plus's Cleaner which is stupid expensive imo) was to wipe down leather with hot / warm water soaked cloth, then spray on Simple Green full strength, wipe / rub into leather with damp cloth removing dirt then wiping off again with water soaked cloth, then dry. Condition next day with Griots Leather Rejuvenator, always worked for me. Hopefully a better trained Leather Expert will chime in.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Can't wait to see what Johnny Danger will do with this title!

The front side leather over the roll bars looks like the rest of the leather in the car, but the piece between the two roll bars is awkwardly stained yellow nastyness. It looks like it was stored in the lungs of a smoker for a year or something. I tried cleaning this will 303 Products 30350 Aerospace Protectant but that didn't seem to make any difference. What's most peculiar to me is that this piece is the only thing affected - why not the leather pieces right next to it as well? Maybe it was replaced? Anyhow - what's the fix for this, can I leather dye over it? Totally a noobie at treating leather - thanks in advance!

Those two vertical pieces appear to be plastic. I can see the mold seam on them. If the bottom horizontal piece is of the same material then its all plastic. Not leather. Sorry.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

There's a famous product called Klasse All in One. It works on everything that is not fabric.

If you're going to order it I would also add 1Z leather cleaner and Finish Kare #425 detailing spray. In my experience these three products really do not have equivalent products at your typical auto store. And your typical auto store does not carry Klasse. Try autogeek.net
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
There's a famous product called Klasse All in One. It works on everything that is not fabric.

If you're going to order it I would also add 1Z leather cleaner and Finish Kare #425 detailing spray. In my experience these three products really do not have equivalent products at your typical auto store. And your typical auto store does not carry Klasse. Try autogeek.net
Cool, thanks - I was checking out the Klasse All In One on Amazon and it looks like most folks are using this for paint - but you'd use it on leather/vinyl as well? I think that's what you're saying just want to double check. Do you know if the covering on the roll bars is plastic or leather? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Eh....I've used it regularly on leather. (Not suede). Follow up with a conditioner and I think you are fine. Works great on the cleaning process.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Cool, thanks - I was checking out the Klasse All In One on Amazon and it looks like most folks are using this for paint - but you'd use it on leather/vinyl as well? I think that's what you're saying just want to double check. Do you know if the covering on the roll bars is plastic or leather? Thanks in advance.
Yes people have been using AIO on plastic trim for years. I can't tell if that piece is plastic or a hard type vinly.

I would do a WOWO (wipe on wipe off) test on a small patch first, like the an area that is only visible from an angle on the inside.

But I would try the 1Z leather cleaner first also using WOWO. Based on previous experience with vinly surfaces it's mild but capable of lifting off really caked film.

Also I wonder if a vinyl cleaner for vinyl soft tops might work there. But that would be me last option as the other products I mentioned will still be useful to you for other things if they don't do the job of lifting these stains.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

Garage
I know I'll probably get a verbal spanking for this. I have a light gray interior and had some weird staining on the roll hoops. On a whim I used a magic erasure. It worked outstandingly! Now I keep a box of them in the garage all the time. It really worked. Cheap and you have nothing to lose. It won't damage your vinyl. Good luck!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
I know I'll probably get a verbal spanking for this. I have a light gray interior and had some weird staining on the roll hoops. On a whim I used a magic erasure. It worked outstandingly! Now I keep a box of them in the garage all the time. It really worked. Cheap and you have nothing to lose. It won't damage your vinyl. Good luck!
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
JD, your presence is required.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
JD, your presence is required.
Nothing good could come from this!!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #14

Garage
Weird picture! Are all people from Texas weird?? in my defense…I have relatives in Houston and the big D! That's some serious Victorian creepy-town stuff!

Last edited by SeanZ4; 01-17-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #15

^is magic eraser just a sort of clay bar? I know they pitch for cleaning wheels.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #16

Garage
No, it's a spongey-like white square the size of a sanding block. You get it wet and rub lightly on whatever surface you want to clean. It's sold as a household cleaner for walls, bathrooms, etc. I was dismissive of it at first until I tried it. They really work!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #17

Quote:
No, it's a spongey-like white square the size of a sanding block. You get it wet and rub lightly on whatever surface you want to clean. It's sold as a household cleaner for walls, bathrooms, etc. I was dismissive of it at first until I tried it. They really work!
does it work on a dirty mind and $^!tty attitude?
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
I tried every leather conditioner and cleaner known to man, vinyl cleaner, etc. and nothing would make a dent in this stained piece. Finally gave the magic eraser a go, 5 min of scrubbing and it's completely gone! I'm totally shocked, after the cleaning I wiped it down with water and dried the surface then coated with leather conditioner. Thank you SO much for this recommendation!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #19

Quote:
I tried every leather conditioner and cleaner known to man, vinyl cleaner, etc. and nothing would make a dent in this stained piece. Finally gave the magic eraser a go, 5 min of scrubbing and it's completely gone! I'm totally shocked, after the cleaning I wiped it down with water and dried the surface then coated with leather conditioner. Thank you SO much for this recommendation!
The magic eraser is pretty awesome.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #20

Garage
Glad to be of help! My friend's high-school principal wife is who turned me on to the magic erasure. They have a 911 and a 328i (hers). They use them on both cars.

Sean