Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #1

Garage
Track days in southeast usa?

Hello I live in the western Carolina's and am ready to get to know my boxster better, nearest track to my knowledge is road Atlanta.. Does anyone know of other tracks and if they will allow a 16 yr old on the track?

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

autocross and karting will be a much more cost-effective use of your time. Check your local Porsche Club of America for the autocross schedule along with SCCA autocross events. At your age and in your region there's probably a metric ton of folks learning high performance driving via karting with hopes of becoming a professional driver.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

I agree with Perfectlap, you need to learn on auot-x first. In fact I think 10+ auto-x events should be an absolute prerequisite to acceptance at any track day.

That said, there are plenty of track days available at Roebling Road near Savannah, with some at Atlanta Motorsports Park, Barber, Carolina Motorsports Park, and of course Road Atlanta. I have raced at Rockingham and Charlotte, but not sure if they do track days there.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

I have a friend who learned how to drive the family car on an autocross course.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Hello I live in the western Carolina's and am ready to get to know my boxster better, nearest track to my knowledge is road Atlanta.. Does anyone know of other tracks and if they will allow a 16 yr old on the track?
Are you the 16 year old or is it a family member you want to take with you?
Kershaw SC Motorsports Park (CMP) a little farther but a nice track Virginia International Raceway (VIR). There are others.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 01-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Are you the 16 year old or is it a family member you want to take with you?
Kershaw SC Motorsports Park (CMP) a little farther but a nice track Virginia International Raceway (VIR). There are others.
I am the 16 yr old.. Way closer to Georgia then va or the almost n.c. Kershaw.. I am looking to join the blue ridge boxster summit though so the mountain driving will be good fun
Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #7

Look for auto-x events with PCA / SCCA / BMWCCA in Atlanta and Greenville.

Search on clubregistration.net, and motorsportsregistration.com

By the way, have you done the Street Survival school? We do that at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds near Lawrenceville. You might want to start with that and find out what it's like to slide a car around in a safe environment.

My first car was a P-car too - a 914 2.0 long ago when they were brand new. Both the 914 and 986 can swap ends and bite you in the butt if don't watch out. Be patient and give yourself time. Unless you have been racing go-karts for a few years, you probably have a lot to learn.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #8

Garage
Nice a 914 I've always loved loved loved those.. I think BMW does a performance driving school in the upstate with their Greer factory may look into that
Old 01-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Nice a 914 I've always loved loved loved those.. I think BMW does a performance driving school in the upstate with their Greer factory may look into that
Hey Jake, I would extremely recommend the 2-day BMW Performance Driving School. I am in a similar situation- I'm 18 and a '00 Boxster S is my second car, had it for a year now. For my birthday gift last year, my father and I did the driving school in Greer, and I learned so much, it's definitely worth it.

Of course you learn how to drive faster on a track, but they also teach you a lot of car control techniques that will keep you safe on the road, especially if your Boxster, like mine, doesn't have traction control.

You should also look into Autocrosses- I'm lucky that there happens to be a club here in Asheville that stages autocrosses, though unfortunately not very often. I've been to two so far, and while certainly a good experience for little cost, if you are lucky you will get 4 minutes total of seat time. I'm looking for track day options near here as well- I've heard the Porsche and BMW Clubs around here stage some track days at VIR, but it looks like they are repaving, and won't be open till around March sometime.
kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekimball View Post
Hey Jake, I would extremely recommend the 2-day BMW Performance Driving School. I am in a similar situation- I'm 18 and a '00 Boxster S is my second car, had it for a year now. For my birthday gift last year, my father and I did the driving school in Greer, and I learned so much, it's definitely worth it.
Thanks I'd suggest the blue ridge booster summit to you, me and my father are looking to join this year and hope to see other young boxster owners there... P.s. I envy your s

Last edited by BIGJake111; 01-06-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Thanks I'd suggest the blue ridge booster summit to you, me and my father are looking to join this year and hope to see other young booster owners there... P.s. I envy your s
Thanks a lot- the Boxster Summit looks pretty cool, If I can, I will definitely join in.

kylekimball is offline   Reply With Quote