Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #1

rims that fit on 986

Im trying to validate something here ... .tried to search for it, but couldnt find the right response.

I was a bit shocked when a wheel shop told me that not all aftermarket rims (with the right pattern) would install on an 986????

im not talking about the offset or the size of the rim itself. They said that it was something to do with the bolt fitment ....

this is true? or totally BS?

i really like the volk TE37 rim (i'd like a grey set with silver lip).... on my silver box.

thoughts & comments?

BTfd2e93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #2

It's possible that some aftermarket wheels will be setup for a different lug nut/bolt face angle. Some are conical, some ball nose and some flat. I'm new to Boxsters so not sure which type they use.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Have you checked out Tire Rack?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTfd2e93 View Post
Im trying to validate something here ... .tried to search for it, but couldnt find the right response.

I was a bit shocked when a wheel shop told me that not all aftermarket rims (with the right pattern) would install on an 986????

im not talking about the offset or the size of the rim itself. They said that it was something to do with the bolt fitment ....

this is true? or totally BS?

i really like the volk TE37 rim (i'd like a grey set with silver lip).... on my silver box.

thoughts & comments?
Porsche has a bolt pattern of 130 X 5, which is not shared by any other vehicle. Therefore many aftermarket wheels will not fit your boxster.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #5

18's are you max and yes not all after markets fit. I just put a set of 07 Caymans on mine. Perfect fit, even with a different offset.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote