Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Red face Newby: Boxster horn diag

Hi to all, a new member of this great site. I've read some very good threads on boxster horns not working so followed the route of checking fuse (ok), swapped relay (no clicking, not sure if there should be?) next was going to look at horn retaining frame although there is plenty of springy movement , any advise would be much appreciated please, thanks, Wolfy.

wolfy2.7boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #2

Could be the clock spring.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

horn woes, and wrong fuses?

I'm also a noob and having horn difficulties. No horn working at all.

I found the fuses, and the piece of paper says there should be a 25 Amp (!) fuse in B2, which is the horn (98 Boxster). Seems like a lot.

Sure enough, there was a blown out 5A fuse there. For a quick test I put in a 10A fuse and the horns blow continuously

Can anyone tell me which relay is the horn relay?

What book should I buy that would have this info - the Bentley book?

Finally, and most disturbingly, lots of fuses didn't seem to match what is in the fuse chart. Like maybe 1/3 of them are wrong, and usually higher than what is supposed to be in there.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so since B2 was the horn fuse... I'm pretty sure I'm reading the chart right.
DG Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Boxster abuser

A lot of these horns burn out. Many times due to the horn retaining frame failing and the horn being stuck on. If you have a burnt fuse most likely horn is dead. It is located behind the bumper toward the center of the passenger radiator intake. Pull the bumper, pull the wires to the horn, put a test light there and push the horn button, make sure the fuse is not blown after the horns are disconnected.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Could also be worn bushings on the airbag retaining frame. When they wear, the horn can go off over bumps or even continuously.
Mine did this a while back while I was working. Coworkers told me it was going off, but by the time I got out there to check it, it had stopped and horn wouldn't work at all because fuse had blown.
New fuse and fixed frame solved the problem.