Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #1

Phantom Plate Covers

I live in Atlanta and they have recently started installing red light cameras at many different intersections. I have been stopped at a couple and seen the flashes go off as people went through the red light. In a recent search for radar detectors, I came across this Phantom Plate cover and/or spray.

What are people's thought on this? Has anyone tried it? Should I use it myself?

I've attached a link that gives more details on the product.

Thanks...

http://www.phantomplate.com/review.htm

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PHOTOSHIELD-LICENSE-PLATE-CAMERA-PHOTO-SHIELD-COVER-NOW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50434QQitemZ8030014 014QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Don't know if this is cheaper than where you're finding it online or not.

I saw a TV report on it by our local TV station and the lenses do work and work much better at night. That spray works, but it according to the TV station, it has to be reapplied and doesn't last forever as it's advertised.

Just don't run yellow-to-pink lights and you'll be fine!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBoxster
I live in Atlanta and they have recently started installing red light cameras at many different intersections. I have been stopped at a couple and seen the flashes go off as people went through the red light. In a recent search for radar detectors, I came across this Phantom Plate cover and/or spray.

What are people's thought on this? Has anyone tried it? Should I use it myself?

I've attached a link that gives more details on the product.

Thanks...

http://www.phantomplate.com/review.htm

Since the spray acts to increase the reflectivity, my assumption would be that it would work as long as your plate is clean. If they plate gets dirty, then no more reflection which means no overexposure of the camera flash.

The covers are either refactors designed to limit the viewing angle or to create glare based on the viewing angle.

Neither the spray nor the covers are foolproof as they depend upon certain angles or the presence of a flash. In any case, I would have to posit that the use of either could possibly get you in trouble. I doubt you'd get busted for the spray (since it wouldn't be noticeable on a traffic stop). The covers on the other hand could easily allow for pretext stops by the police. The police generally don't like it when they can't read your plate. And, it is against the law to use any device to obscure a plate or assist in the breaking of a law.

I'm not advocating one way or the other. Personally I hate speed cameras and red-light cameras so I try not to speed and I never run red lights (lesson learned from riding motorcycles).

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #4

This is sticky because the cover can result in a traffic violation (when I had a similar one on I just was warned and had to take it off) and the spray doesn't last long. Best thing is just to not run them anymore.

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote