Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
recycledsixtie

Garage
How do you get these

bolts/screws off? I believe that you need a torx driver set. I took a pic albeit not very good of a panel and screw attaching it . It is the panel enclosing the windshield washer cap. I dropped one of the battery tops(I was recharging the battery) and it fell down inside the bowels of the front of the car never to be seen again.

Although I do not have a torx driver set the screwdriver attachment I used just makes the screw go round and round and does not come out. What is the secret with the torx driver that it can get the screw out successfully?

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If I remember right, those screw into flare nuts which sometimes lose their grab and just spin. Try prying up on the head with something like a pocket knife or the blade of a screwdriver while turning it. Pry up until it grabs and starts backing out.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

It has a rubber grommet underneath with a threaded brass core that just allows things to spin. To get a good grip on the grommet, yoy may need to remove the tire/wheel to get a good grab. It's a PITA, so try raising it first to put some pressure on it - it may break loose then.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

What Red said. If memory serves, it was an M5steel torx-head bolt about 15 mm long screwed into a threaded brass insert affixed to the far end of a shouldered rubber expansion expansion nut. If nut exercised or lubricated often galvanic corrosion secures the bolt to the insert, which then spins freely in the aging/decaying rubber. You can just pull up forcefully on it to free it if necessary, pulli g it enuf to grab or else entirely out, but the rubber expansion nut will need replacing if you do this.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

Maybe the bolts were a bit longer. Anyway, there is an aftermkt kit with thumbscrews to replace them if ur interested.

BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote