Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #1

Sound Experts Wanted!!!

So, just bought Alpine Type-S 4" speakers for the dash and 2 Tang Band 6.5" subwoofers for the doors. I have the HAES 4x40 amp I believe in my 2000 Box.

So I know that the amp has a built in cross over for the door speakers and was concerned I may not get the full potential in frequency range from the new subs if i don't change the cross over.

I know buying a new amp is easier and probably more practical but I am a college student and I see no reason to ditch a perfectly good amp that almost peaks the power of my subwoofers and dash speakers.

Should i just install them just as the OE mid-range woofers are or is there a way that I can change the cross over easily?

Thanks in advanced!

samrwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

I believe that the low-freq crossover for the door speakers is built in to the 4x40 HAES amp. I would just install the speakers and see how it sounds. If the balance is way off, you would then have to reevaluate, but chances are you will be fine. If the door speakers are a bit too prominant, you would simply add a 1-2 Ohm high-power resistor in series with them.

I left my door speakers in place, as they do have rubber surrounds, and the balance with a pair of Focal Access in the dash is just fine with the stock amp.

teleski is offline   Reply With Quote