Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I have a painted console almost EXACTLY like this. Would be willing to trade for your old bland unit + some Christmas cash. I have armrests, door pulls and a cubby painted too but pictured.

Here's most all the parts laid out….

Would need your OLD unit. Be willing to part with the shift boot too! We are talking HALF price! Shoot me an offer!
I don't have any "old bland units". If mind looks old and bland, I must be doing something wrong! My door pull covers and armrests are leather-covered.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #22
2004 Boxster S

Mine arrived yesterday... any tips/pics on the install?
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #23

Go to the craft store and get some cotton batting. Cut the batting to the size of the the armrest, you do not want to fold it under the edge. This will add some cushion to the armrest. Get some spray adhesive while you are there. Spray the adhesive on the armrest, place the batting on the armrest. Spray the adhesive on the the back side of the leather cover and attach the cover to the armrest. Be careful to get the stitching centered or it will be noticeable.

Did you get any leather covers for your door pocket covers?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Go to the craft store and get some cotton batting. Cut the batting to the size of the the armrest, you do not want to fold it under the edge. This will add some cushion to the armrest. Get some spray adhesive while you are there. Spray the adhesive on the armrest, place the batting on the armrest. Spray the adhesive on the the back side of the leather cover and attach the cover to the armrest. Be careful to get the stitching centered or it will be noticeable.

Did you get any leather covers for your door pocket covers?
I didn't get the door pocket covers, if I'd known I would have ordered those too. Maybe I still will. :-)

Thanks Heliguy for the tips. So the batting still allows the cover to fit nicely? Looks like it from the pics. I'm no where near my car to look at how this installs, so I wonder on a normal install if you disassemble the armrest and tuck the leather in between the halves or if spray adhesive is the recommended method?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #25

The batting is thin but adds some cushion. They use it to make quilts and other stuff. It doesn't interfere with the fit. Spray adhesive is the only way...it really is simple.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
I didn't get the door pocket covers, if I'd known I would have ordered those too. Maybe I still will. :-)

Thanks Heliguy for the tips. So the batting still allows the cover to fit nicely? Looks like it from the pics. I'm no where near my car to look at how this installs, so I wonder on a normal install if you disassemble the armrest and tuck the leather in between the halves or if spray adhesive is the recommended method?
Did you install the armrest yet?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
The batting is thin but adds some cushion. They use it to make quilts and other stuff. It doesn't interfere with the fit. Spray adhesive is the only way...it really is simple.
I would think high-density foam would be better?
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I would think high-density foam would be better?
Like EPS? That may not have enough cushion.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #29
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Did you install the armrest yet?
Hi!

Not yet, the Box lives at my vacation house, so I'll do the install next time I'm there. Lots of projects lined up.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #30
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Hi!

Not yet, the Box lives at my vacation house, so I'll do the install next time I'm there. Lots of projects lined up.

Finally got it installed. Not bad, the alignment is good though not perfect, and I probably could have stretched the leather a bit more. But overall still a nice smooth result. Door pocket covers next.

Apologies if the pic is upside down.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Finally got it installed. Not bad, the alignment is good though not perfect, and I probably could have stretched the leather a bit more. But overall still a nice smooth result. Door pocket covers next.

Apologies if the pic is upside down.

Apology accepted