Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #1

My car arrived!!

Well folks, my car finally arrived Friday. (99 Boxster, silver/red)
I had it shipped open carrier and not sure I would do that again as it had about an inch thick of grime, road salt, snow, and dirt on it. The car looked terrible.
Came off the truck and started right up. I parked it until Friday night and my son and I put about 100 miles on her after washing it.

I must say, the car looks great. Really not a mark on the car to speak of. The interior is almost perfect. Kudos to Sunset Porsche.

I was going to do a video review and drive along, but had the wife with me Saturday and we put another 200-250 miles on it. I didn't want to do a drive video with her along. Just so happens Chicago got abt 4 inches of snow sunday, so the car sits and the video is delayed.

So far no leaks, no strange smells, car runs perfect. Steering and suspension feels tight, etc. Temp gauge sits right between the 8 and the 0.
Small complaint is sometimes the car is a little noisy over bumps. Sounds like the top mechanism stuff or something. It didn't sound like suspension as it seemed to come from right behind me like where the top is. Nothing major, not concerned, but sometimes there is a bit of a thump over bumps. I didn't check the operation of the top as the temps were below 25 and I didn't want to risk cracking the back plastic window.
The speakers suck, but we already know that.
One slight issue is sometimes you have to open the door slowly to give the window a chance to move down, and sometimes when getting out of the car and you work the door handle the window goes down slightly but the door doesn't open and you have to release the handle and pull it again and the door opens fine. Doesn't happen all the time.
The car is slow as molasses but I already knew that. Love the handling and feel.
Everything works. Tool kit is missing. Car is pretty quiet but I do hear nice intake at abt 4k.
Overall I am thrilled with the car. If you didn't know cars and I told you it is a 2 or 3 year old car with 38k miles you wouldn't question it.
I cant wait to get some video!!!

Edit.....The original owner put some Blaupunkt radio in it. It sucks. I did notice it seems most of the sound comes from the dash speakers and the door speakers seem to not work very hard. Is this common, or perhaps a bi product of the different head unit? I didn't see fader on the head unit, but Im sure it has one. I guess I should play with that and see what happens.

Last edited by evomind; 12-08-2013 at 11:31 PM.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

Look at the black plastic cover that goes over the motor that runs the top. Center of top compartment behind trunk. That plastic cover can rattle. Mine sure did.

Yes, the windows retract a bit to clear the top. You'll get used to all this.

Have fun!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

The factory default radio in '99 Boxsters is a Blaupunkt radio, though it doesn't have the brand name displayed on it. Yours might be OEM. Many complain about the sound stage of the OEM speakers.

I have a '99 as well, and once I put an OEM rear speaker kit into the storage cubby behind the seats (above the engine cover) the overall sound stage improved considerably. Though the rear speakers are quite wimpy tweeters, having enveloping sound rather than front-heavy sound makes a big difference.

At the very least, I recommend searching for an OEM or aftermarket rear speaker kit. The better, more expensive step would be to replace the OEM speakers, head unit, and amp.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #4

Garage
Congrats on getting the car! The door speakers are pretty worthless. There are lots of threads on here about speaker upgrades which is also on my list of things to do. Here is one that just started about replacement door speakers:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/49796-found-6-5-speakers-fit-door-without-mods.html
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Congratulations on the car! Where are the pic's?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

congrats..

I didn't have a lot of enthusiasm while reading though.. because there are no pics.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Sorry abt the no pics, though I did post dealer pics of the car from their ad in a previous thread.
I promise I will have video when weather permits.
The pics I have are not in the right format to post here.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #8

glad you're happy with it
Old 12-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #9

Wow you sound truly happy with your new sport car. Great post and thanks for sharing!!! (good memories).

RE the sound. Crank the BASS to the max and you'll finally get 'some' sound coming out of your door speakers. If the treble is too high, the dash'ers simply overpowers the door speakers :/ Regardless, the engine sound is the music you'll listen most often anyway

Enjoy every bit of it and drive safely mate!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Garage
Looks like you got it just in time for snow, ice, wind, and freezing rain.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

Yep, looks that way.