Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

2000 Boxster

Hi all., I just bought a Boxter two days ago and it has 40,000 miles its a 2000 basic. I had no owners manuel and i looked here got every answer i need apart from this, The Eng light is on and the car beeps twice when it goes into second gear. The light is one due to a o2 sensor. My question is this, Is the beeping from the same problem? Also i don't have a cup holder Thanks Skoti

Last edited by skoti; 12-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.
skoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #2

Welcome.

I'm assuming that you used a scanner to pull the codes.

I doubt that the beeping is due to the O2 sensor. For some reason, my horn beeps when I hit the brakes hard. I haven't had time to research the problem yet. When I do, I"ll post the solution. I suspect it is loose wire or connector somewhere.

2000 Boxsters didn't have cup holders - at least mine doesn't.

Also, people may tease you for leaving the "s" out of Boxster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #3

Aha & Thank you ,
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoti View Post
Hi all., I just bought a Boxter two days ago and it has 40,000 miles its a 2000 basic. I had no owners manuel and i looked here got every answer i need apart from this, The Eng light is on and the car beeps twice when it goes into second gear. The light is one due to a o2 sensor. My question is this, Is the beeping from the same problem? Also i don't have a cup holder Thanks Skoti
Do you lock your doors when you are driving?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Aha, Could that be it? So are the doors locked when the red light is on?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Aha, Could that be it? So are the doors locked when the red light is on?
The red light is the indication for locked doors. Try shifting with the doors unlocked... I suspect it has something to do with the console storage door sensor switch out-of-alignment or needs replacement.

300K Mile Club
Old 12-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

Ok let me go try that and I will get right back to you, Thank you for taking the time to help with my car. I seen your posts and they helped on some other questions,
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

No that never fixed it. I noticed that its the same beep as the seat belt , Two beeps then it stops, Like if you did not have your seat belt on, I could be wrong
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #9

There are 2 types of cup holders- an early and a late. APPARENTLY ( as I've used neither) the late, single cup unit is the preferred version. You can buy them new at the dealer or used. There is also a good aftermarket model that's a lot easier to install- use the search mode on this forum to learn more.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #10

Looks like i may be able to just find one at the local parts store.. Thanks
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
No that never fixed it. I noticed that its the same beep as the seat belt , Two beeps then it stops, Like if you did not have your seat belt on, I could be wrong
OK so it's an interior chime and not the horn beeping... Do you get a seat belt alarm on the dash when it chimes?

300K Mile Club
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #12

The horn beeping when you hit the brakes is most likely the air bag bracket behind center section of the steering wheel. I had the same problem. There are lots of post on how to fix this.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #13

No seat belt light nothing like that BUT i have just drove around for a few hours anytime I'm doing 25 mph it climes again like the seat belt sound , Two chime's in a row at no other speed does this happen, Even if i drop speed to 25 it chimes
Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #14

Does your car has the on board computer (displays mpg, temp miles to empty etc.)? If so, there is a setting for a speed limit warning that you can set. If it is set, say to 25mph or so, as you accelerate through the speed you will get a warning chime.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #15

Wow , Let me see , Wonder how thats fixed
Old 12-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #16

dghii, That fixed it. I now have it set at 140MPH
Old 12-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
The horn beeping when you hit the brakes is most likely the air bag bracket behind center section of the steering wheel. I had the same problem. There are lots of post on how to fix this.
Thanks. I just finished replacing my water pump. Now, I'm in the middle of installing heated seats and I haven't had a chance to do any research.

dghii - Good thinking about the On Board Computer. I should have thought of that.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #18

Wow, Funny how many people are telling me what a mistake i have done in buying this car for my driver, My question to them is this, How many have you owned? Same answer every time, None,
Old 12-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Wow, Funny how many people are telling me what a mistake i have done in buying this car for my driver, My question to them is this, How many have you owned? Same answer every time, None,
Tell them not to complain about your steak while they are eating hamburger.

Owning a Porsche is like being married to a beautiful woman. You have to put up with a few "difficulties" from time-to-time but the benefits are outstanding.

To be honest, the cars are not that troublesome and there is a lot of help available from forums like this one. If you are willing to do a few things yourself, and search for used parts you will be fine.

Here are the instructions I'm using to install my seat heaters: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats

Try to finding something like that for a Toyota Camry.

Good luck with your car and I'm glad you had a good first experience on this forum.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #20

Thats some great points. This form has really helped me, Keep in mind this car just turned 40,000 miles and its a 2000, Let me post a pic