Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Clutch slipping....

Think my clutch is on its way out..... Car seems to kangaroo in 2nd,3rd &4th. It lacks power in those gears and generally feels alien.
If its the clutch, how much should I pay? Probably not an answerable question, just want to prepare myself (supply teachers salary I'm afraid).
...and also, should I change the IMS bearing at the same time even if I have no sign of this being dodgy? The car is a 2000 Boxster S with 78k... Thanks

spokegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Unfortunately you can't answer any questions until they pull it apart, mine needed a clutch, flywheel, and I replaced IMS because it was leaking- total cost was 3600 with labor if I remember right. You may need a new RMS also but those are cheap
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Sounds like it's time and I would absolutely replace the IMS....even if it's a double row. My mechanic quoted me only a few extra hours labor for the IMS while he was there doing the clutch. Don't be fooled by the stats on the double row, they do fail...I've held one in my hand. I almost wish my '97 needed a clutch so I could justify doing the IMS...
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
recycledsixtie

Garage
I was thinking of getting the clutch replaced, imsb replaced, rms etc and got quoted $4400 Can (divide by 1.60 for Uk pounds) by an indy shop. Later I got quoted less by the Porsche Dealership -around $4000. This would have been preemptive only as everything works well still. Decided on doing nothing. You might want to get a couple of different quotes but the cheapest may not be the best. Try and find out what quality of work they do. I would also ask if you can take a peak at the car while they are installing the imsb(this precludes the mechanic leaving it on the bench uninstalled!).

I would ask around on this forum to see if work has been done in your area and how good they are. Even if it means travelling 100 miles to get the work done I would consider that (perhaps you cannot drive 100 miles in its present condition?).

There is a thread above/below - locating a repair shop in your area.

Sorry to hear of your problems....
Let us know how you make out.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
recycledsixtie

Garage
Yes the typical package for while you are in there is:
clutch replacement, ims bearing replacement, rms replacement.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

I've not heard of a slipping clutch making the car "kangaroo" only in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear - usually when it slips the revs go up and the speed stays the same.....
You may have a missfire (plugs / coil packs) causing the engine to stumble when you accelerate, but its difficult to diagnose without more details.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
Don't be fooled by the stats on the double row, they do fail...
I could have been that poster boy.
My dual row bearing was at 3rd stage failure when it was extracted. Yes, I was almost sick to my stomach seeing it leaking stinky oil and flakes of metal.
I was that close to passing on the IMS retrofit...
You won't be sorry getting it changed while you're in there, but you could be very sorry if you don't.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation

Last edited by BoxsterSteve; 11-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
I've not heard of a slipping clutch making the car "kangaroo" only in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear - usually when it slips the revs go up and the speed stays the same.....
You may have a missfire (plugs / coil packs) causing the engine to stumble when you accelerate, but its difficult to diagnose without more details.
Yes, what Steve said. From what you describe it does not sound like classic clutch slippage.

If you have never experienced a bad clutch before then let someone drive the car who has. A good way to test it is to put it in a high gear (4th works) whilst going uphill and floor the throttle. If the tacho shoots up more than it should for your speed then it is safe to say it is a clutch problem.

If you find it is not the clutch then misfires would be the first thing to look at, caused by anything from plugs and coil packs through to O2 and MAF sensors.

Happy hunting.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #9

sorted

Thanks for the responses. It was the MAF. Replaced that, drives beautifully.

spokegg is offline   Reply With Quote