Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Need help identifying what this is..

I noticed this coming out of the front bumper ( passenger side) Of my 99 boxster. It is not connected into anything. Does anyone know what it is, what it does and where does it connects to? Thanks everybody

janfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

I believe it is the outside temperature probe. It is described in this Pelican parts article:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Front Bumper Removal - 986 / 987

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Garage
It is the external temp probe. There's a small circular grommet that it supposed to be inserted into. Look on the left side grille.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Garage
Here you go...
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
I am my own mechanic....

Sensor

That is the time sensor. Porsche gauges are so accurate, the sensor reads the actual time to within minutes, not just time zones like most clocks, and adjusts in real time. Very accurate.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
That is the time sensor. Porsche gauges are so accurate, the sensor reads the actual time to within minutes, not just time zones like most clocks, and adjusts in real time. Very accurate.
FYI: it also compensates for spacetime distortions caused by varying speeds, even taking the rotational speed of the earth into account.

The technical term for this sensor is cronograv accelerometer. Very expensive to replace, so be careful.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Actually, it is a flux capacitor. All those micro switches to open the top are actually calibration sensors to make this thing work. A side feature to hide its real purpose is a temperature probe. You get to choose which one works for you best!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Actually, it is a flux capacitor. All those micro switches to open the top are actually calibration sensors to make this thing work. A side feature to hide its real purpose is a temperature probe. You get to choose which one works for you best!
You just won't let up, will you?
Spreading incorrect information doesn't help anybody. "Flux Capacitor" is just a slang term from pop culture. Yes, it can bend the spacetime continuum, but operating it in that way voids the warranty!
Every time I try to clear the air about the sensor, you have to pop in with your flux capacitor bs

I'm not going to have this argument with you again! I'm out
Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #9

Excellent info, I didn't know this. Was convinced it was simply a temp probe. Mine is dangling inside I believe, just resting on the side of my aftermarket fiberglass front bumper. We might have to change that sloppy set-up next time we clean the radiators :/

Very informative, thank you
Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Homeboy981

Garage
My Flux Capacitor did not fit it in and stay secure either. And I hate dangly bits, on my car!

I ended up placing a rubber grommet on the outside to bind it in there. Was afraid of pushing too hard and breaking the plastic. The outside grommet was from a ¼" rubber washer that is stretched to fit.

Is there a trick to it?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #11

I was told it was the temp sensor and it has something to do with the function of the air conditioner.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #12

Correct on both counts. It's a temp sensor for the Alcubierre Drive. Google it!
Okanebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You just won't let up, will you?
Spreading incorrect information doesn't help anybody. "Flux Capacitor" is just a slang term from pop culture. Yes, it can bend the spacetime continuum, but operating it in that way voids the warranty!
Every time I try to clear the air about the sensor, you have to pop in with your flux capacitor bs

I'm not going to have this argument with you again! I'm out
...damn...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
2002 Boxster S

Garage
I recently put the OBD II external temp gauge on my Torque Pro dashboard, but nothing registers.

Seems to me that the onboard computer would have that value, even if it's not displayed on the instrument panel.

Has anyone been able to access the value returned by the temperature sensor through the OBD II interface?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've never tried that, but the outside temp can be read on the cluster once the clusters on board computer has been activated.
In other words, as far as I know these sensors are always on and giving a value, it's just not accessible on all models without the activation. Theoretically, the value should be there to be read unless there's a bad connection or broken wire somewhere.