Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Waxy white residue when using a car cover??

I've always had this happen to me on whatever car I've owned.

I buy a decent car cover, doesn't matter the manufacturer and after a few days I notice some waxy/oily white buildup all over the car/windshield. I wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix for this. You spend hours detailing the car and in about 3-4 days it's pretty much ruined with whatever is happening under the car cover.

Thanks guys!

Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
I've always had this happen to me on whatever car I've owned.

I buy a decent car cover, doesn't matter the manufacturer and after a few days I notice some waxy/oily white buildup all over the car/windshield. I wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix for this. You spend hours detailing the car and in about 3-4 days it's pretty much ruined with whatever is happening under the car cover.

Thanks guys!
I have not...always used california car covers. Not sure if the maker has anything to do with it, but maybe put a towel over the windshield prior to putting on cover?
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

This is moisture coming out.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

I'm sure it is moisture as well. I just don't know if it's mixing with the wax or not. My car sits under a car port so it's not in a garage at the moment. I'm just lost on what I can do to stop the car getting this white crap all over it.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #5

Wax or sealant? Do you cover right away or let it cure?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #6

Ahhh! I do tend to cover it after i'm done pretty fast. Wonder if that is the problem. Someone said to get custom weave from California Car Cover. But oh my it's $$$ but it's supposed to not leave a residue (911 forums). Wonder if the real Porsche covers do this?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Originally Posted by TOGWT:10392127
Paint will sometimes show ‘hazing” after removing a car cover that has not allowed hydration (transpiration and evaporation of moisture). The temporary hazing, which can appear as a slight dull discoloration, stain, or raised surface in the paint is caused by the paint finish absorbing moisture

Correction- In most cases, by applying Isopropyl alcohol and exposure to heat (sunlight) allows the moisture to evaporate within a few hours. For colder climates, moisture evaporation recovery can be accelerated by placing the vehicle indoors and using a portable infrared heat lamp (or professional-type heat gun). Allow the affected area to outgas by not using a wax or sealer on the affected are for a few days

In extreme cases if a waterproof cover i.e. a tarp is used to cover a vehicle it may cause delamination. A polyurethane paint (high solid / low solvent) clear coat can absorb moisture; as water molecules are smaller than a cross-linked clear coats molecule.

Moisture (condensation) can permeate and break down the chemical bonds between the clear coat and the basecoat; this sometimes produces small bubbles in the paint surface. This will also cause delamination between the layers since once the chemical bond is destroyed; only the weaker mechanical bond remains.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

Autopia Detailing Wiki - Autopia
Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

California Pop Top. Covers the top, front to back and reduces sun light. Made from Tyvek.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I have not...always used california car covers. Not sure if the maker has anything to do with it, but maybe put a towel over the windshield prior to putting on cover?
+1 for California Car Covers. I've used mine nearly every day for a year now with no residue.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #11

Joe which cover did you buy? There are a bunch. I'm looking for an outdoor one.