986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Waxy white residue when using a car cover?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49604)

Trax 11-25-2013 10:55 AM

Waxy white residue when using a car cover??

I've always had this happen to me on whatever car I've owned.

I buy a decent car cover, doesn't matter the manufacturer and after a few days I notice some waxy/oily white buildup all over the car/windshield. I wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix for this. You spend hours detailing the car and in about 3-4 days it's pretty much ruined with whatever is happening under the car cover.

Thanks guys!

trimer 11-25-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax (Post 373791)
I've always had this happen to me on whatever car I've owned.

I buy a decent car cover, doesn't matter the manufacturer and after a few days I notice some waxy/oily white buildup all over the car/windshield. I wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix for this. You spend hours detailing the car and in about 3-4 days it's pretty much ruined with whatever is happening under the car cover.

Thanks guys!

I have not...always used california car covers. Not sure if the maker has anything to do with it, but maybe put a towel over the windshield prior to putting on cover?

Flavor 987S 11-25-2013 11:33 AM

This is moisture coming out.

Trax 11-25-2013 12:34 PM

I'm sure it is moisture as well. I just don't know if it's mixing with the wax or not. My car sits under a car port so it's not in a garage at the moment. I'm just lost on what I can do to stop the car getting this white crap all over it.

Flavor 987S 11-25-2013 12:42 PM

Wax or sealant? Do you cover right away or let it cure?

Trax 11-25-2013 01:06 PM

Ahhh! I do tend to cover it after i'm done pretty fast. Wonder if that is the problem. Someone said to get custom weave from California Car Cover. But oh my it's $$$ but it's supposed to not leave a residue (911 forums). Wonder if the real Porsche covers do this?

Flavor 987S 11-25-2013 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TOGWT:10392127
Paint will sometimes show ‘hazing” after removing a car cover that has not allowed hydration (transpiration and evaporation of moisture). The temporary hazing, which can appear as a slight dull discoloration, stain, or raised surface in the paint is caused by the paint finish absorbing moisture

Correction- In most cases, by applying Isopropyl alcohol and exposure to heat (sunlight) allows the moisture to evaporate within a few hours. For colder climates, moisture evaporation recovery can be accelerated by placing the vehicle indoors and using a portable infrared heat lamp (or professional-type heat gun). Allow the affected area to outgas by not using a wax or sealer on the affected are for a few days

In extreme cases if a waterproof cover i.e. a tarp is used to cover a vehicle it may cause delamination. A polyurethane paint (high solid / low solvent) clear coat can absorb moisture; as water molecules are smaller than a cross-linked clear coats molecule.

Moisture (condensation) can permeate and break down the chemical bonds between the clear coat and the basecoat; this sometimes produces small bubbles in the paint surface. This will also cause delamination between the layers since once the chemical bond is destroyed; only the weaker mechanical bond remains.

Flavor 987S 11-25-2013 01:12 PM

Autopia Detailing Wiki - Autopia

jcb986 11-25-2013 03:14 PM

California Pop Top. Covers the top, front to back and reduces sun light. Made from Tyvek.:cheers:

Joe B 11-25-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 373792)
I have not...always used california car covers. Not sure if the maker has anything to do with it, but maybe put a towel over the windshield prior to putting on cover?

+1 for California Car Covers. I've used mine nearly every day for a year now with no residue.

Trax 11-25-2013 03:50 PM

Joe which cover did you buy? There are a bunch. I'm looking for an outdoor one.