Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 04:19 AM   #1

Sylvania Silverstars/fog lights too?

I replace my high and low beam bulb with sylvania silverstars based on recommendations here (I like them by the way). Are others also replacing the fog lamp bulb with these? Just wondering, thought it might be too bright with the low beams on too.....

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #2

Hi,

You certainly could replace the OEM H7 lights with SilverStars. But, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

First, the Bulbs are expensive and Silvania estimates their lifespan to be 1 year, so replacement will be more frequent.

Second, the slight Spectral Shift in the bulb's color could lead to greater scattering of light by Fog, Rain and Dust, leading to More Glare for the Driver instead of Less as intended.

Third, Fog Light design is a very exacting science. The poly-plane reflector was designed specifically with a 55W Halogen in mind. Although somewhat counter-intuitive, increasing the light's intensity could result in a lower efficiency of this reflector, less confined beam and poorer visibility for the Driver.

Finally, increasing the light's intensity can have the adverse effect of causing increased Glare to oncoming Drivers. Not particulary good Road Courtesy toward other Drivers and could actually create an unsafe condition. This last bit is becoming an increasing concern. So much so, that the NHTSA is currently conducting hearings to consider regulations concerning their design and use - see: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:11 PM   #3

People aren't really driving aroudn with their fog lights on all that often though are they? For that reason also I'd consider Silverstars to be a waste of money as far as fog lights go.

FYI, I've had the same set of Silverstars in my Eclipse for about two years at least and they haven't burned out. I'm quite surprised.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

I agree with you both..excellent points....
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #5
creseida

Well, actually I use my fog lights rather a lot. But then again, I live in the land of no street lights, and I do get fog on a regular basis in the winter/spring time, so.....