Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #1

Condensation on outside of windscreen

Hi everyone! I'm experiencing a strange condensation issue with the windscreen on my 05 987 - its on the *outside* of glass, and only in times of cold temperatures. The windscreen demister button does fix it, but extremely slowly, as it warms up the glass, as obviously the demister air is only on the inside.

Its proving to be quite problematic - the only 'quick' fix is to the use the wipers - which on a non-rainy day is a little frustrating. Its getting to a point that in cold weather the glass will fog up on the outside very quickly when I'm travelling quickly on a freeway - quite dangerous when in the middle of traffic.

Whether its related or not I'm not sure, but it appears into two 'blotches' pretty much in line with the washer nozzles on the hood, then starts to grow outwards very quickly.

Any ideas on a solution or fix for this issue?

Last edited by vmpyre; 02-01-2006 at 07:35 PM.
vmpyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpyre
Hi everyone! I'm experiencing a strange condensation issue with the windscreen on my 05 987 - its on the *outside* of glass, and only in times of cold temperatures. The windscreen demister button does fix it, but extremely slowly, as it warms up the glass, as obviously the demister air is only on the inside.

Its proving to be quite problematic - the only 'quick' fix is to the use the wipers - which on a non-rainy day is a little frustrating. Its getting to a point that in cold weather the glass will fog up on the outside very quickly when I'm travelling quickly on a freeway - quite dangerous when in the middle of traffic.

Whether its related or not I'm not sure, but it appears into two 'blotches' pretty much in line with the washer nozzles on the hood, then starts to grow outwards very quickly.

Any ideas on a solution or fix for this issue?
Hi,

You may have some substance on the glass which promotes condensation on the Glass - could be a number of things, including Spray Wax from an Automated Car Wash, or Dealer Prep.

The first thing I would do is wash the windscreen thoroughly, prefereably with Bon Ami (not sure if you can get this Down Under, if not, use Baking Soda) as an alternate, use Denatured Alcohol.

If the problem remains, try a Denatured Alcohol cleaning followed by an Anti-Fogging Dressing such as Rain-X (I think they also have an Anti-Fog Product as well).

If none of these work, Sell the Car! Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 AM   #3

Cool me too

Hi Vmpyre,

Wow I have a similar problem, I have 986 which I picked up about 4 months ago, and exactly the same thing happens, I thought I must be crazy or something, but glad to see others have it too. By the way it happens in cold or hot weather to me, the outside temperature doesnt seem to make any difference. The only way I have worked out to stop it (other than using the windscreen wipers) is to set the a/c manually to the centre and feet vents and not the top ones... I was actually thinking of maybe stuffing something into the top vent which obvviously blows cool air when the a/c is on auto, but am happy to hear any other suggestions...

Teal_BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote