986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I joined the club! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49460)

evomind 11-14-2013 04:55 PM

I joined the club!

Well guys, I joined the club. Its all done except the paperwork.
Im the new owner of a 99 silver on red Boxster. I love the color combo and if its good enough for James Dean its good enough for me.
My first mod when I have some money is the m-030 sport suspension.

The car is at Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR. Now I just have to find a shipper to get it from there to Chicago. If anyone knows of a reasonable shipper please let me know.

Here is a link to pics.
1999 Porsche Boxster Arctic Silver Metallic | Beaverton, Oregon | Sunset Porsche

psquared39 11-14-2013 05:06 PM

4.5 years in my 02, installed the m030 and 15mm spacers in August, total transformation!

cas951 11-14-2013 05:09 PM

Congrats. You'll love the car.

It might be worth to fly over and drive it home rather than paying ~700-1200 for shipping. I think the weather is still nice from Portland to Chicago.

trimer 11-14-2013 05:12 PM

I second that. Get a flight and drive that thing! Its what the weekends are for!

evomind 11-14-2013 05:26 PM

Guys, I thought about driving the car home but its about 30 hours driving time Portland to Chicago, figure 3 days on the road, meals, hotels, and that's a lot of driving in a car I don't know very well.
Wouldn't it suck if I had to post on here "stranded, someone come get me!" LOL
I don't know, I haven't decided for sure.
The plane ticket is abt 330, 2 nights in a hotel, figure 65/night, 450 bucks in gas and figure 75 bucks for meals.
Driving cost is about 985 bucks assuming no BS happens on the road. :)

Ill see what shipping costs and go from there.

thstone 11-14-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind (Post 372292)
Wouldn't it suck if I had to post on here "stranded, someone come get me!"

Someone from this Forum WOULD come and get you. Its that kind of place. :)

evomind 11-14-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 372294)
Someone from this Forum WOULD come and get you. Its that kind of place. :)

I know. That's the vibe I get. Good bunch of guys here.

peterek 11-14-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind (Post 372279)
Well guys, I joined the club. Its all done except the paperwork.
Im the new owner of a 99 silver on red Boxster. I love the color combo and if its good enough for James Dean its good enough for me.
My first mod when I have some money is the m-030 sport suspension.

The car is at Sunset Porsche in Beaverton OR. Now I just have to find a shipper to get it from there to Chicago. If anyone knows of a reasonable shipper please let me know.

Here is a link to pics.
1999 Porsche Boxster Arctic Silver Metallic | Beaverton, Oregon | Sunset Porsche

Congrats! Another silver boxster in chicago;)

Where in the city are you located?

NewArt 11-14-2013 06:35 PM

Driving it is a great way to get to know the car! I picked mine up in California and drove it back to Montreal. Guess it depends on whether you like road trips or not, and how much time you can afford. If you're on the interstate, it's probably not worth the effort. But if you have time for some detours, well that's more like it! :cool:

RawleyD 11-14-2013 06:41 PM

Drive it home!

evomind 11-14-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterek (Post 372304)
Congrats! Another silver boxster in chicago;)

Where in the city are you located?

Im actually in Downers Grove!

evomind 11-14-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 372311)
Driving it is a great way to get to know the car! I picked mine up in California and drove it back to Montreal. Guess it depends on whether you like road trips or not, and how much time you can afford. If you're on the interstate, it's probably not worth the effort. But if you have time for some detours, well that's more like it! :cool:

I actually have some time, but short on funds.
Working on a car is a great way to get to know it too, but not on the side of a highway between Portland and Chicago. lol

If the car breaks down near my home I can park it for awhile if I cant pay to fix it right away, but if Im 2k miles out and something happens, Im over a barrel.
That's my biggest concern.
Weather is secondary concern.
Driving is fun though.

RawleyD 11-14-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind (Post 372316)
I actually have some time, but short on funds.
Working on a car is a great way to get to know it too, but not on the side of a highway between Portland and Chicago. lol

If the car breaks down near my home I can park it for awhile if I cant pay to fix it right away, but if Im 2k miles out and something happens, Im over a barrel.
That's my biggest concern.
Weather is secondary concern.
Driving is fun though.

A real shame that a helpful place like this would make you afraid to drive a near perfect Boxster home 2k miles.

It should be set to take you almost anywhere in the US of A, without even a hiccup for quite a while.

986_c6 11-14-2013 11:59 PM

Congrats on the purchase!

We either have the time and no $, or vice versa, have the $ and no time. I was the latter and had to have one of my cars shipped recently. But if you do have the time--->TAKE A CHANCE, that is what life is all about! Enjoy!

You will think back and say to yourself, "Gee whiz, those 986 guys were right in making me drive it home!"

BruceH 11-15-2013 06:34 AM

Congrats! I love that color combination, I came close to getting one in that combination. Ah yes, the old time and money problem. I bought mine in Atlanta and drove it back to Texas. We took some back roads and detours and had a great time! This is one of those things that you will regret if you don't do it! Take a look at this thread from a forum member in Milwaukee. He went out to the west coast and back! http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46676-road-trip.html

Get AAA and if you have a problem, like another member already mentioned, someone here will help you. You only live once:cheers:

trimer 11-15-2013 08:18 AM

My 03 was local to me so my drive home was 15 miles. My 02 was in ATL which is 6 hours away (longer if you are NOT driving a Porsche :)). I flew up on a saturday and drove the car home. SITE UNSEEN (except pics). Matter of fact I had to pick it up at a dealer in ATL because the day before, the seller was cleaning the car, put the top down and the window decided to quit!

That was the most fun in a car I ever had. I told my wife to keep her phone near by in case I broke down and I had my AAA card with me as well...backpack full of water and essentials and a big ass grin on my face. My route after Atlanta was very long and straight and not much around...but you could not have paid me to trailer that one home... You can always route your trip to make sure you are going through places where some of us 986 owners are.

It shouldnt take you 30 hours...more like 25 as I guarantee your foot will be on that gas pedal!!!

Good for you regardless of how you get it there...just enjoy it!:dance:

evomind 11-15-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimer (Post 372399)
My 03 was local to me so my drive home was 15 miles. My 02 was in ATL which is 6 hours away (longer if you are NOT driving a Porsche :)). I flew up on a saturday and drove the car home. SITE UNSEEN (except pics). Matter of fact I had to pick it up at a dealer in ATL because the day before, the seller was cleaning the car, put the top down and the window decided to quit!

That was the most fun in a car I ever had. I told my wife to keep her phone near by in case I broke down and I had my AAA card with me as well...backpack full of water and essentials and a big ass grin on my face. My route after Atlanta was very long and straight and not much around...but you could not have paid me to trailer that one home... You can always route your trip to make sure you are going through places where some of us 986 owners are.

It shouldnt take you 30 hours...more like 25 as I guarantee your foot will be on that gas pedal!!!

Good for you regardless of how you get it there...just enjoy it!:dance:

Ha, I hear you guys, Id love to drive it, but a 6 hour drive isn't so bad.
I drove my Elise from Chicago to Vegas and back and that was the best trip of my life but that was done in the spring. And with a new car. And I made a lot more money, which helps in emergencies. lol.
Im kinda leaning towards driving it, but that's a long ass drive.

steved0x 11-15-2013 09:36 AM

I flew up to PA and bought mine and drove it back down to NC, and I have driven it from NC to FL and back several times (and now live in FL). It is a lot of fun to drive :)

HAUSIDMT 11-15-2013 09:50 AM

+1 on taking the trip and driving it home. Do a good pre trip inspection and have fun!

Brockmeister 11-15-2013 10:58 AM

Congrats! Mine's the same color. Great minds think alike.