Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #41

Garage
I stopped in and took a look at my car while it was apart - the IMSB was in perfect shape on the outside - seals intact, turns smoothly and no external corrosion. Replaced it anyways... Found out the RMS was the source of the oil leak, so that is fixed. Should be back together in a day or two.

Last930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #42
Beginner

Garage
I took out a bearing that was tight, it felt and looked perfect, the seal looked good. I seriously thought about leaving it in it felt so good. And that was with the IMS shaft out of the engine in my hand, so I had a pretty good look at it. I took the bearing out and pulled the seal. The only lube in it was stale motor oil. How long would that "good" bearing last? That's anyone's guess. The only clear fact is that the lubrication was compromised. I wish I'd have said it first, but I'll repeat it, the IMS bearing is in the same league as timing belts. They have to be replaced, or the valves meet the pistons.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #43

Sounds like you have your answer, at 39K and likely needing a clutch soon, this should be an easy decision. Replace the IMS with the clutch, the sooner the better…end of story…next case please
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post

...so I have decided to keep my appointment. I know I will be nervous driving it 3 hours to the mechanic, hoping there is no engine failure.
That would easily take the cake for worst luck ever. I would be tempted to flatbed it there

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote