Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Help with Litronics

I have had some strange issues with the litronics on my 2000 Boxster S. The right headlight just turns off while I am driving.

I have done the following (on expert advice) so far:
  • Replaced both bulbs
  • Replaced the igniter
  • Replaced the ballast
  • Replaced the headlight switch

I am pulling my hair out of my head. I am running out of ideas on how to fix this. Any ideas?

crumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Does the turn signal lamp not work as well? Perhaps it's just the connection between the headlamp and power connector. I'd pop the lamp out and clean the connector and make sure the portion of the headlamp tray that holds the connector in place is not cracked/broken.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

One of the advices I got from JFP in PA when I was troubleshooting my litronics was to ensure that they have a good ground otherwise they could act funny. My trouble fixed when I replaced my headlamp switch so I didn't go any further but if you have the Bentley manual it shows where the ground points are for the different systems in the car, including the headlights/litronics. (Are they retrofit or factory?)

I am not sure if those are the grounds to which he was referring, but it could possibly be the basis for a new search.

Good luck!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

All other electronics actually work (indicators, high beams, etc).

When I switch the lights off and back on, the right light comes on again and goes out about 5 mins later.

INFURIATING!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbum View Post
All other electronics actually work (indicators, high beams, etc).

When I switch the lights off and back on, the right light comes on again and goes out about 5 mins later.

INFURIATING!
sounds like a relay heating up. Do you have daytime running lights? Either way, there's got to be a relay involved and it could be the source of your woes. The RF ground is a few inches from the hole that's for the light housing removal. It's on the inside wall of the frunk and is probably clean and dry but it's worth a shot. On my car I had a similar problem and it was the plug connector that's fixed on the tray. It was flexing to much and loose. I used a piece of wood and wedged it behind the plug support. The light installed more solidly and clicked in. No more problems.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #6

Right headlight still goes out

I am still battling the right headlight that goes out after about 30 seconds. When I switch the lights off and on again, it immediately goes on and after 30 seconds it goes out.

Relay position F28, as shown in the diagram, is empty on my relay board so I reluctantly had to rule out a relay issue.

Guys I am out of ideas. Any suggestions?

This is what I have done so far (in reverse order):
* checked the ground point and put connector lube on
* opened the headlight connector in the frunk and put connector lube in all holes
* put connector lube on red connector to the low beam bulb
* put connector lube on both connectors behind the headlight
* replaced both bulbs
* replaced the ballast
* replaced the igniter
* replaced the headlight switch
Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbum View Post
The right headlight just turns off while I am driving.
What happen when not driving? e.g. car standing still, are you getting the same behavior?

Have you ruled out loose connector PINs due to vibration? I'd open then a little with a small clip or mini-screwdriver on the faulty headlight side and give this another go
Old 11-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
What happen when not driving? e.g. car standing still, are you getting the same behavior?

Have you ruled out loose connector PINs due to vibration? I'd open then a little with a small clip or mini-screwdriver on the faulty headlight side and give this another go
I tested it tonight with the car sitting still (engine not even running). Still does the same thing.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

I'd take out the LEFT side and use jumper wires to test/rule-out a faulty RIGHT headlight first.

EDIT: as is use the 12v/ground from the RIGHT side fender connector and connect it to your (good) LEFT headlight to see if you are getting the same problem. Pinouts here: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/44045-fyi-headlight-connector-pinout.html

If the same problem occurs on the LEFT headlight unit then we know your car is acting up.

Also. Metal expands when hot (wires/PINS' temp is different when current flows). You'd think it would make a loose connection become good when hot but it can also work the opposite side as well. Try to secure all of your female PINS by prying them out gently (especially on the connector in the fender)

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #10

I doubt this is the problem because the light goes out when the cars is stopped. Nevertheless, it's takes just a bit of time to try.

I had a similar problem that I chased for months. It turned out the socket in the tower was positioned such that the plug didn't seat fully when I put the headlight unit in. I reseated the socket in the tower and carefully put the headlight unit back in the fender. One year later, the lights are still on.

Hope your's turns out to be that simple.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #11

Use a voltmeter or test light and work your way back until you find the point that the power stays on. At least it's behavior is consistent and predictable!