Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #1

f***tard drivers around

Seems like every time I drive a bit more spirited, some other driver decides they want to drive dementedly by me to prove how stupid they are.

So this evening on the commute home in the left lane a bit behind a tractor trailer in the right lane, since I wont drive next to randomly exploding neglected truck tires, waiting for an opportunity to get away from it.

I see the openning in front of the trucks and speed up and move into the right lane a good distance in front of them and reduce speed to match traffic again, never had to use the breaks.

Then a second later to my surprise there's a pickup passing me on the gravel shoulder doing 80mph and kicking up all kinds of crap all over.....sweet jesus...I braked to let the ftard get back on the road, and fully expected him to roll it, but he had the sense to gently and gradually get back on the hard top instead of yanking it over.

I think when I accelerated my spoiler came up with Porsche sticker showing and he must have felt it was a personal challenge to his ego or something.

Any one else seeing this kind of stupidity around when Porscheing?

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

Stay off that 91 it's horrible.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Every damn Honda with a fart can exhaust or Mini wants to get schooled, and typically does. I let the real pricks go. Some really try hard to punk you into doing stupid ****************. I'll take a lane or put distance between me and poser, but no racing on the freeway.

BMW drivers are the worst. Other Porsches just flash their lights.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Hey! Built in sensor!!

****************, ****************, hell, crap,
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #5

No, I think New Jersey's crazy driver club only pays attention to cars with 275hp plus. Or the honda kids that have work done don't want to get into any trouble without any actual monetary gain.

Some M car, Subaru, and audi drivers usually get excited when they see me corner, but I haven't had anyone try to desperately pass me, they like to keep up and see or just ignore me. Maybe I don't drive spirited enough to make them try to prove themselves. I am just glad I don't have to deal with any pickup trucks trying to pass me on the shoulder.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #6

Had a similar though, arguably, much more aggressive display by some idiot in his SUV a couple months ago. I do some weekend jobs here and there, one of which involves my using I80 which, around here, is the "Ohio Turnpike". It's a toll road, lightly patrolled and with only occasional radar traps, the location of all of which I am familiar with. It's a big, wide, relatively straight road which is fairly empty on Sunday mornings (which this was). I've got a Valentine, so if I'm running late (I was) I don't hesitate to let her roll, not uncommonly venturing into triple digits.

So I was doing that on this particular morning and this guy in an SUV decides that I've somehow issued a challenge and starts running with me. That's all fine and good, I'm okay with that, so we trade the lead back and forth for awhile until I tire of the game (and have made up the time I needed to get to the job on time), so I accelerate to the point that I've put a fair distance between us, then eased off the accelerator and proceeded to forget all about him. At this point I've slowed to a more socially-acceptable speed and am more or less blending in with the other traffic.

Predictably I suppose, it's not long before he again appears in the rear view and then passes me. It's 3 westbound lanes: I'm in the middle, some 3rd party's in the right, SUV-man passing me in the left. He then pulls over into my lane in front of me, SLAMS ON HIS BRAKES so hard his tires smoke a bit and he's shimmying around, verging on fishtailing and losing it altogether. I've still got decent reflexes for an old guy and, him braking in a SUV and me braking in a Boxster, I had no real difficulty avoiding rear-ending the guy...but it was pretty unnerving. Not to mention absolutely uncalled for, unnecessary and flat-out stupid. :troll:

I ended up passing him in the right lane (he and another vehicle now occupying the middle and left lanes) and witness him angrily shooting me the bird as I mouthed, as clearly as I could, "You're a f'ing MORON!!" My brain screamed Road Rager (Is he packing????) so I left him waaaaay behind, to the point he didn't see me exit the interstate (my intent!).

I gotta say---I just don't understand people like that.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #7
recycledsixtie

Garage
Noted the perps trying to race. But I find with a low car what happens completely unexpectedly is a car changing lanes and not seeing me. Of course I jump on the brakes and brake straight ahead. What I really need is a JD yellow car and a really loud exhaust but I don't have either. Many drivers don't shoulder check and coz the Box sits lows it is vulnerable. Always have an out.....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #8

Yup, I've had a large pickup push me completely into the shoulder at 70 MPH. If I didn't move, he would have side-swiped me. The stupid thing is, I would have easily been past him by the coming merge, not affecting him at all. I guess I somehow issued an unspoken challenge !

My wife says people are nastier when she drives my car, and co-workers have admitted to routinely cutting off high-end cars, just because.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Kooks and loons are everywhere and I just quietly separate myself from them. Nothing good will ever come from a 4 wheel gunfight on public roads. On Halloween I was on the job when a car changed 3 lanes and nearly clipped the front of my truck. I hit the brakes hard and moved into the center shoulder to avoid contact. It was a thrashed Dodge Neon and it would have been far worse for him than me if he made contact.

Stuff happens.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #10

Garage
Yeah, I live next to an army base and I'm constantly getting challenged by E-1's in tuner-type cars. I'm old and always just ignore them.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
. I'm old and always just ignore them.
Totally right Sean. I ignore them too. I don't draw attention to myself!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #12

This is why I drive in the center lane, with headlights on - even during the day, at the speed limit, and keep a full car length cushion in front of me.

When its late, and no one's around I'll drive faster and move in and out of the passing lane.

During visiting hours to the zoo (8 am to 8 pm) I keep well away from the passing lane and the SUV/pick up drivers in a rush to watch the Kardashians and American Idle.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It happens. I have never dealt with anyone with too much of an ego problem, and I normally ignore them and hope a cop is around to pull them over. I am not going to get a ticket, I don't have anything to prove. It always seems to be trucks, like a drunk truck passenger taunting me to race him, and BMW's or rice rockets flash lights like they want to race. Today, I encountered a few idiots too.

This morning I flashed my brakes at a Focus that was tailgating me at about 10', and he started flashing his high beams at me. Of course, there where two other open lanes. I also had an Audi that started to tailgate me after I passed him, of course he could't keep up in the curves. Then in the straights he must have been going 90 to zoom past me, so I could pass him while going the speed limit in the curves.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

I experience the same craziness daily on my 30+ mile commute. Everyone wants to race the guy in the Porsche. Not sure why, but they do. I go well out of my way to avoid these people.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #15

Garage
See them all the time. My problem is with the idiots in parking lots that think they need to drive over the front of my Boxster. At this point its not worht trying to get the scuffs painted.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Damn Yankee

Garage
Let's face it. It comes with the territory. You can win, you can lose, or you can elect to not play the game at all.

I just let them go on their way, then look at my wife and say "I guess he SHOWED US!"

Of course, when I was much younger (and single) it was a different story, I once ran some kids in a Mustang off the highway onto the shoulder for jackin' with me. Not proud of that, in fact it was mighty stupid. With age comes wisdom, I guess.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #17

I've run in to very little of this kind of thing. I did have a young kid 17-ish with a couple of his buddies pull up beside me at a light in a Sentra or something like that last summer. He says "Hey gramps - wanna race?" I said "Does you mom know you're driving her car?" He looked a bit chapped but his buddies thought that was freakin hilarious. I think I guessed it right and it pretty much took the wind out of his sails.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Noted the perps trying to race. But I find with a low car what happens completely unexpectedly is a car changing lanes and not seeing me. Of course I jump on the brakes and brake straight ahead. What I really need is a JD yellow car and a really loud exhaust but I don't have either. Many drivers don't shoulder check and coz the Box sits lows it is vulnerable. Always have an out.....
I am trying this solution & it helps with being seen except in case of LEOs.

Unfortunately for better or often times worse it illicits very emotional responses from other drivers.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I experience the same craziness daily on my 30+ mile commute. Everyone wants to race the guy in the Porsche. Not sure why, but they do. I go well out of my way to avoid these people.
Once upon a time in a land far, far away, I was this guy. Gleefully thrashing the guy who paid way to much for his "glorified VW" with my TransAm & built 455cui w/4 on the floor!
So I quickly & easily recognize these immature scofflaws, & generally refuse to acknowledge their presence. I've also found this is a somewhat regional problem easily avoided by using the 405 exclusively. What's the old saying? "Takes one to know one"?

:dance:
Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #20

Garage
I definitely think that others see Porsche's as the measure of handling. Take an exit ramp or a tricky curve fast and I will see others occasionally measure their car relative to my Boxster. It's a compliment. I did it with my 02 mustang GT.
Keep to the basic rules
Stay right except passing
Keep a good distance between you and traffic in front
Be aware of traffic all around you.

You can't control other so you better be aware of whats happening around you so you have room to get the hell out of the way when racer X decides your next on his hit list