View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Frodo

Had a similar though, arguably, much more aggressive display by some idiot in his SUV a couple months ago. I do some weekend jobs here and there, one of which involves my using I80 which, around here, is the "Ohio Turnpike". It's a toll road, lightly patrolled and with only occasional radar traps, the location of all of which I am familiar with. It's a big, wide, relatively straight road which is fairly empty on Sunday mornings (which this was). I've got a Valentine, so if I'm running late (I was) I don't hesitate to let her roll, not uncommonly venturing into triple digits.

So I was doing that on this particular morning and this guy in an SUV decides that I've somehow issued a challenge and starts running with me. That's all fine and good, I'm okay with that, so we trade the lead back and forth for awhile until I tire of the game (and have made up the time I needed to get to the job on time), so I accelerate to the point that I've put a fair distance between us, then eased off the accelerator and proceeded to forget all about him. At this point I've slowed to a more socially-acceptable speed and am more or less blending in with the other traffic.

Predictably I suppose, it's not long before he again appears in the rear view and then passes me. It's 3 westbound lanes: I'm in the middle, some 3rd party's in the right, SUV-man passing me in the left. He then pulls over into my lane in front of me, SLAMS ON HIS BRAKES so hard his tires smoke a bit and he's shimmying around, verging on fishtailing and losing it altogether. I've still got decent reflexes for an old guy and, him braking in a SUV and me braking in a Boxster, I had no real difficulty avoiding rear-ending the guy...but it was pretty unnerving. Not to mention absolutely uncalled for, unnecessary and flat-out stupid. :troll:

I ended up passing him in the right lane (he and another vehicle now occupying the middle and left lanes) and witness him angrily shooting me the bird as I mouthed, as clearly as I could, "You're a f'ing MORON!!" My brain screamed Road Rager (Is he packing????) so I left him waaaaay behind, to the point he didn't see me exit the interstate (my intent!).

I gotta say---I just don't understand people like that.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote