Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #1

Garage
water logged brake booster

I am in the process of replacing the brake booster in my 99 Boxster. while I am at it going to replace the master cylinder, paint the calipers, and flush the brake fluid. Pads, rotors, sensors are all new already. The brake booster has water in it. when i removed the vacuum line and stuck my finger in about half inch below opening i can feel water. also as i was depressing the pedal to get all fluid out I could hear the water.

the question i have is how does the water get in to the booster in the first place?
I am replacing the booster with a new one and dont want to have this problem again if possible so can i prevent this from happening again?

I have had the car since february it has 75k on it. Since I have owned it it has been garaged but I do wash it often and figure that is where the water came from. I have never heard of anything like this with any other car.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Are you sure its water?

If a MC seal leaks, brake fluid will start to collect in the brake booster. It eats the bladder and results in no booster operation.

I had to replace the booster in my 84 Alfa due to the same problem. I was loosing brake fluid but could not find any evidence of a leak. When I would first press the brake pedal, it would be very hard, like no assist and then the assist would start. It eventially got worse.

The booster was about 1/3 full of fluid.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #3

Garage
I will let you know but I wasnt loosing brake fluid. I think maybe the front drain tube(s) might be clogged and so water was not draining.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

I had the same thing (water ingress) when I first purchased. The symptoms were the brakes jamming on when and the pedal sinking slightly when the clutch was pressed. I read (possibly on here) that it's a common issue so possibly a poor design?!
Glasgow 911SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #5

Garage
Yup checked last night, the left front drain had clogged. I had checked the rears and blew them out with compressed air but not the fronts cause they were under the plastic covers. Live and learn.