Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Can I get this fixed under Factory Warranty?? Need your help! 987.2

Hi guys,

Need your advice here. I have a 2010 boxster with a PDK. I just bought it from a non-porsche dealer. It's still under factory warranty. When I bought the car it has this what appears to me as a plastic defect right on the PDK trim. I attached an image so you can see what I'm talking about.

I hear it's hard to get Porsche to get anything replaced under warranty that isn't mechanical defect. I mean it's possible something could've gotten on it that caused it to do that, but I can't imagine what. I hear a lot of 987 consoles got replace due to defects, but i'm not sure if this one would qualify. Any advice on how I can get the dealer to help me get this replaced?

Cheers!

Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
That would depend largely on what is covered and if the picture shows damage or a defect. If it's a defect in the material or finish, it's possible, but if it's damage caused by owner(s), then no.

Hard to tell from the picture.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I'm not sure if they would, it kind of looks like that spot reacted to being in contact with perfume/alcohol/solvent of some sort. I've seen it happen to a car my parents had (when my mother placed a potporri bag in the parking brake handle well).

But it wouldn't hurt to try. If all else fails, could do a 3M DiNoc carbon wrap (I think that would look pretty nice).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I'm not sure if they would, it kind of looks like that spot reacted to being in contact with perfume/alcohol/solvent of some sort. I've seen it happen to a car my parents had (when my mother placed a potporri bag in the parking brake handle well).

But it wouldn't hurt to try. If all else fails, could do a 3M DiNoc carbon wrap (I think that would look pretty nice).
I'm going to have to agree this looks like a strong solvent was dropped on the part in the picture. The paint is crinkled and lifted. If it was a spider web crack I'd say paint defect but not lifted. Good Luck take too a dealer see what they say.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

Garage
There is a line in the warranty that say Items not covered. Appearance items that were not a defect in material or workmanship.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Hey chaps! Thanks for the help!

I'll see what the dealer says, but I'm guessing you guys are right. Looks like someone may have dropped something on it (sigh....). I like the carbon wrap idea, but the damage is raised up some I wouldn't know what I would do to smooth it out unless I scraped off the raised bits . It looks like I found the part at suncoast for $130, but I have no idea how I would install it since you need to take the PDK shifter out. I'm still on my honeymoon with the car so I'm a little nervous to do anything to it at this point.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Would anyone know if there are any write ups on how to remove the trim around a PDK? My web searches aren't coming up with anything so far.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax View Post
Would anyone know if there are any write ups on how to remove the trim around a PDK? My web searches aren't coming up with anything so far.
Ya I'm not sure of any write up for this piece. It can't be hard though.

As for the dealer...is this the same one that won't give you records ...my guess is they'll make a judgement call that it is something the previous owner spilled on it...and of course since you haven't owned the car since the beginning you can't argue it. Worth asking though. They just charge Porsche.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #9

Provided that the PDK mechanism is the same in a 987.2 and a 997.2, read these two write ups:
New mod - leather PDK shift trim - Page 2 - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Rennlist Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Shift Trim, Shifter, and E-Brake Upgrade - done!

BTW: If you buy a new surround, I'd go (actually I went) with the all leather one at Suncoast, it's a bit more pricey but looks soooooooo much better than the plastic one

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote